Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #39

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It was THERE IP though, the studio were the original creators, and there was quite a few people who worked on Saints 4 that worked on 2 also. It makes it even sadder XD 

They didn’t create this IP to be what it was in the reboot. It’s like Steven King making Jaws 2 a movie about feminist robots. It’s his right, sure, but it’s a stupid ass idea and deliberately insulting to the fans.

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Volition was almost three hundred people strong too; I'd say it's fair to assume less then a quarter of people who worked on were involved in anyway about the direction; they were doing the work assigned to them. It's on the leadership, not the majority. 

Sure, and hopefully those who were good at their jobs find new work creating something that isn’t shit. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ve never actually played any games by Larian, but from what I’ve heard, yes, they’re a good example.

A great one. Didn't actually know you never played any of their games, thought you had played Divinity. Not gonna be like normal fans of shiz that instantly drown someone in recommendations. Just def play if you ever want to and have the time.
What would be your other example though? Genuinely interested. 

37 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Oh damn, Insomniac being on there is surprising to me. If they had been in the news at all for any bad shiz I never saw. 
But in the wise words of Grand Carl J, Aw shit here we go again. 

9 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

What would be your other example though? Genuinely interested. 

CD Project Red and Obsidian Entertainment during the 2010s were basically the gold standard. Super fan-oriented, heavily involved with their communities, very positive and receptive to feedback, gave away loads of free content and made sure any paid DLC was juicy enough to justify the cost.

Most importantly, their games are simply good. Hell, most of my beliefs are polar opposite to JE Sawyer’s, but he’s my single favorite developer out there because he just wants to make good games, not use his position to cram his own beliefs down players’ throats or throttle our wallets.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

CD Project Red and Obsidian Entertainment during the 2010s were basically the gold standard. Super fan-oriented, heavily involved with their communities, very positive and receptive to feedback, gave away loads of free content and made sure any paid DLC was juicy enough to justify the cost.

Most importantly, their games are simply good. Hell, most of my beliefs are polar opposite to JE Sawyer’s, but he’s my single favorite developer out there because he just wants to make good games, not use his position to cram his own beliefs down players’ throats or throttle our wallets.

Fair and can completely agree on them two. I don't know much about JE Sawyer than the name to be honest but if he is one of the people who care more about their product than their wallet I can get behind that. 

Forgive for the post mostly being a screenshot of reddit/not even my own words but this is something I see keep cropping up around Starfield, has me worried and wanted to hear y'alls thoughts on it. I wasn't expecting to be Star citizen or NMS but to me space needs that openness, that vastness.
Being thrown into load screen after load screen will really hamper my enjoyment in exploration in a space themed game.
Works fine when going through buildings and things but if I'm being thrown into a load screen leaving a planet, traveling to the moon off said planet, getting off of my ship onto that moon, then idk going into another load screen just to go into something like an outpost building just sounds very mid. image.png.ef0ed436e442e447d25572b5cf70d086.png

8 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

You know what's amusing to me? Since so much of modern fantasy is inspired by Tolkien, just how little the Noldor are used as inspiration. If memory serves, they're badass warrior-elves that live on mountaintops and are the greatest elf-smiths, not to mention the strongest of all Elven warriors. There's a hint of Celtic "doomed hero" about them, powerful warriors destined for greatness but also short lives.

Honestly, I'm glad that filmmakers are staying fucking far away from the Noldor. They could not do it justice.

But yes, if someone actually competent was adapting it, I would do a compressed version as follows:

Movie 1:

1. The Oath

2. The Exile and burning of the ships

3. The death of Feanor/ Fingolfin crossing the Grinding Ice with Galadriel and Finrod

Movie 2:

1. The arrival of Fingolfin's host

2. The Dagor Bragollach (skipping a lot of stuff before this)

3. The duel between Morgoth and Fingolfin- death of Fingolfin

Movie 3:

1. Luthien and Beren

2. The fall of Doriath

3. Gil-Galad in Lindon welcoming the hosts of Eonwe and Numenor

4. The defeat of Morgoth

• Like 2

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

"A Middle Eath Side-Story; The Children of Hurin" XD

Yes, it really is a side story, so is the Fall of Gondolin and Nargothrond. Good stories but not the critical path.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

1 hour ago, Elden Clown said:

Forgive for the post mostly being a screenshot of reddit/not even my own words but this is something I see keep cropping up around Starfield, has me worried and wanted to hear y'alls thoughts on it. I wasn't expecting to be Star citizen or NMS but to me space needs that openness, that vastness.
Being thrown into load screen after load screen will really hamper my enjoyment in exploration in a space themed game.
Works fine when going through buildings and things but if I'm being thrown into a load screen leaving a planet, traveling to the moon off said planet, getting off of my ship onto that moon, then idk going into another load screen just to go into something like an outpost building just sounds very mid. image.png.ef0ed436e442e447d25572b5cf70d086.png

It’s a Bethesda game… of course its going to have loading screens… they haven’t figured out ladders yet

• Haha 3

Fuck:dntknw:

2 hours ago, Elden Clown said:

It won’t bother me as much if it means the areas we load between are exceptionally detailed and varied.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

This could be good for video games. Hollywood celebrity voice actors have been such a pain for the industry. Companies can save millions of dollars and get better talent by just hiring regular old professional VAs in their place. Does a game really improve that much from having Peter Dinklage in it?

Starting to think the Film Actors Guild just hates actors and is trying to starve them out of the industry. XD "Can’t work on movies/TV? Fine, I’ll pay my bills doing commercials. Oh, no commercials either? Okay… video games it is… damnit."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

This could be good for video games. Hollywood celebrity voice actors have been such a pain for the industry. Companies can save millions of dollars and get better talent by just hiring regular old professional VAs in their place. Does a game really improve that much from having Peter Dinklage in it?

Starting to think the Film Actors Guild just hates actors and is trying to starve them out of the industry. XD "Can’t work on movies/TV? Fine, I’ll pay my bills doing commercials. Oh, no commercials either? Okay… video games it is… damnit."

Or maybe people will wise up and do what FROMSOFT does; hires people from the theatre circuit XD

• Like 1

Ok so initial thoughts, space combat is engaging. I haven’t tried boarding an enemy ship yet, tho I will soon. Regular combat is by far an improvement to Fallout 4. I haven’t tried the new settlement system yet. The opening to the main quest is a little slow for me, but I also have no fucking idea what the fuck is going on so that may play a part. Space travel is like the outer worlds, like almost identical to that system. New Atlantis (the main big city) gives off an imperial city/new Vegas segmented city vibe while also sorta feeling like night city in cyberpunk. I’m definitely more engaged with Starfield than I was with the Outer Worlds, but I feel like I’d suffering from the same “it’s a space game that isn’t Star Wars” problem for me. I’ll keep updating as I play

• Thanks 3

Fuck:dntknw:

2 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Ok so initial thoughts, space combat is engaging. I haven’t tried boarding an enemy ship yet, tho I will soon. Regular combat is by far an improvement to Fallout 4. I haven’t tried the new settlement system yet. The opening to the main quest is a little slow for me, but I also have no fucking idea what the fuck is going on so that may play a part. Space travel is like the outer worlds, like almost identical to that system. New Atlantis (the main big city) gives off an imperial city/new Vegas segmented city vibe while also sorta feeling like night city in cyberpunk. I’m definitely more engaged with Starfield than I was with the Outer Worlds, but I feel like I’d suffering from the same “it’s a space game that isn’t Star Wars” problem for me. I’ll keep updating as I play

How long is the opening before the game turns you loose to explore and whatnot?