Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #39

2 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s split into a series of videos. They’re pretty amusing but also well-done. Here’s the first.

He makes it clear that he’s only judging the show on its own merits, and not comparing it to the books or movies. So basically, he’s lowering the bar significantly from what was set by Tolkien or even Jackson, and it still utterly fails on every level. XD 

That cursed Yzma-Kronk has permanently left an imprint on my cosmic being.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog The new Saints Row literally killed their studio.

volition-studios-cierra-saints-row.jpg

That's so fucked up :vaultboy:

I mean...they made a pretty awful game, but it's never good to see a thirty year old studio shut down. and a couple hundred devs out of work (I have...much less sympathy towards the social media people though XD)

I heard that they'd been making mediocre openworld slop years before the reboot so I imagine it was a long line of poor decision that was just topped by their most recent failure, (they did Agents of Mayhem)

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

they did Agents of Mayhem)

That game is almost permanently on sale on the Xbox marketplace for like $2.00. 

I tend to fill my library with all kinds of cheap or free games that I’m unlikely to ever play, just because the deal is so good. I still haven’t bought it. XD 

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I mean...they made a pretty awful game, but it's never good to see a thirty year old studio shut down. and a couple hundred devs out of work (I have...much less sympathy towards the social media people though XD)

Eh. They knew what they were making. It’s one thing to create your own IP to push your agenda. Even if I disagree with it, it’s yours so fair enough. 

But it’s way more egregious to hijack a popular brand and twist it into something completely different to push an agenda. I’ve got little sympathy for companies who fail doing that. 

@The Good Doctor I'm about half way through that channel with the cursed Kronk avatar.

I never knew the depths of just how awful Rings of Power was, partly because it was practically eldritch knowledge to witness such a level of bad writing and hatred of the source.

Every time I delve deeper into RoP, I learn even more how shitty it is :rofl:

Here's an impossible task, in the same vein as our rewriting/reimagining of Fallout, Halo, and Elder Scrolls discussions. What all would you do that could possibly make this show even mediocre? I think it's impossible without a slew of new actors and actresses, and completely change the script. I mean it's already basically fanfiction, since they legally couldn't do the Silmarillion XD

Another thought, if you could adapt anything from the Silmarillion, and have an enthusiastic Peter Jackson with creative freedom make it, what would you adapt? This goes for you too @BigBossBalrog @Celan

• Haha 1

You know what's amusing to me? Since so much of modern fantasy is inspired by Tolkien, just how little the Noldor are used as inspiration. If memory serves, they're badass warrior-elves that live on mountaintops and are the greatest elf-smiths, not to mention the strongest of all Elven warriors. There's a hint of Celtic "doomed hero" about them, powerful warriors destined for greatness but also short lives.

14 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I'm about half way through that channel with the cursed Kronk avatar.

Damn. You’ve done in an afternoon what took me weeks. XD It is good, to be sure. And very well-made.

14 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I think it's impossible without a slew of new actors and actresses, and completely change the script.

Agreed. Top to bottom, Rings of Power is way worse than any content we’ve ever gotten from TES, Fallout, or Halo. I’d put it more on the same level as GoT season 8.

A big problem is that almost every plotline is built on totally nonsensical premises that are too entrenched to just "fix" with some tweaks. It’s a fundamentally broken story. You’d have to scrap it all and start over with something different. 

19 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Another thought, if you could adapt anything from the Silmarillion, and have an enthusiastic Peter Jackson with creative freedom make it, what would you adapt?

If Peter Jackson’s working on it, I’d probably try to make it somewhat relevant to his other movies. So maybe the fall of Numenor, Isildur’s family coming to Middle Earth, founding the kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor, culminating in the Last Alliance and defeat of Sauron.

Basically, a lot of the stuff that Rings of Power wants to cover, but has already butchered beyond recognition.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

A big problem is that almost every plotline is built on totally nonsensical premises that are too entrenched to just "fix" with some tweaks. It’s a fundamentally broken story. You’d have to scrap it all and start over with something different. 

Are you... trying to say... that... surviving a pyroclastic flow... is nonsensical?

You're obviously prejudiced.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Agreed. Top to bottom, Rings of Power is way worse than any content we’ve ever gotten from TES, Fallout, or Halo. I’d put it more on the same level as GoT season 8.

No, no no, RoP is even worse than GoT's season 8. At least season 7 also completely sucked, as did the entirety of the later show. Rings of Power hit the ground sprinting in the shit.

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

If Peter Jackson’s working on it, I’d probably try to make it somewhat relevant to his other movies. So maybe the fall of Numenor, Isildur’s family coming to Middle Earth, founding the kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor, culminating in the Last Alliance and defeat of Sauron.

I'd be into that, the Fall of Numenor alone would be worthy of it's own movie.

20 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

No, no no, RoP is even worse than GoT's season 8. At least season 7 also completely sucked, as did the entirety of the later show. Rings of Power hit the ground sprinting in the shit.

That’s why I limited it to S8. GoT is obviously better if other seasons are factored in. But just comparing GoT8 vs RoP1, I’d put them neck-and-neck.

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s why I limited it to S8. GoT is obviously better if other seasons are factored in. But just comparing GoT8 vs RoP1, I’d put them neck-and-neck.

You know what, I can see that.

I don't know which is worse, surviving a fucking volcanic eruption and pyroclastic flow. Or literally everything to do with the battle of winterfell.

22 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I don't know which is worse, surviving a fucking volcanic eruption and pyroclastic flow. Or literally everything to do with the battle of winterfell.

Which line is worse?

"There is a tempest IN ME!!!" -Galadriel, followed by hard stares and awkward silence.

or

"I know a killer when I see one." -Arya, regarding Daenerys, hours after watching her kill over half a million people.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Which line is worse?

"There is a tempest IN ME!!!" -Galadriel, followed by hard stares and awkward silence.

or

"I know a killer when I see one." -Arya, regarding Daenerys, hours after watching her kill over half a million people.

Goblin "Nothing Personeeell kid."

Night King " NANII?"

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

Sad to me, really enjoyed the older saints row, even the 4th a bit and even having a soft spot of shitty games I won't even touch the horror that is the reboot. With that said hate to see a whole studio go because of it. 

Yeah, SR2 was one of my favorite sandboxes at the time it came out. And although I was disappointed by the cartoonishly raunchy direction that SR3 took things in, I can still acknowledge that it’s a pretty good game and fun to play.

But unfortunately the reboot made it pretty clear that the studio has no interest in making anything like either of those games, so meh. I save my support for companies who care about their fans. 

7 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

That game is almost permanently on sale on the Xbox marketplace for like $2.00. 

I tend to fill my library with all kinds of cheap or free games that I’m unlikely to ever play, just because the deal is so good. I still haven’t bought it. XD 

Eh. They knew what they were making. It’s one thing to create your own IP to push your agenda. Even if I disagree with it, it’s yours so fair enough. 

But it’s way more egregious to hijack a popular brand and twist it into something completely different to push an agenda. I’ve got little sympathy for companies who fail doing that. 

It was THERE IP though, the studio were the original creators, and there was quite a few people who worked on Saints 4 that worked on 2 also. It makes it even sadder XD 

Volition was almost three hundred people strong too; I'd say it's fair to assume less then a quarter of people who worked on were involved in anyway about the direction; they were doing the work assigned to them. It's on the leadership, not the majority. 

@The Good Doctor Spoilers for the plot for Starfield. I put this in spoilers just in case. I...am not hopeful about TES6

They recycle the whole Dragonborn concept, except your "STARBORN" and are blessed by aliens as a chosen one :rofl:

vlcsnap_2023_08_30_23h31m18s658.png

Fucking Dragon Jesus wasn't enough? Emil went from writing THIEF FUCKING 2 MISSIONS to this...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

But unfortunately the reboot made it pretty clear that the studio has no interest in making anything like either of those games, so meh. I save my support for companies who care about their fans.

Larian, totally talking about Larian right? Larian <3 XD

Edited by Elden Clown
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

@The Good Doctor Spoilers for the plot for Starfield. I put this in spoilers just in case. I...am not hopeful about TES6

Reveal hidden contents

They recycle the whole Dragonborn concept, except your "STARBORN" and are blessed by aliens as a chosen one :rofl:

vlcsnap_2023_08_30_23h31m18s658.png

Fucking Dragon Jesus wasn't enough? Emil went from writing THIEF FUCKING 2 MISSIONS to this...

Wow, that's actually kind of weak. Glad I'm going to gamepass route atm, no offense to the peeps who bought it full price. I'm just broke as shit. 

• Like 1