Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #39

Fallout question inspired by @Centurion but I’d love answers from anyone. We tend to give Fallout 4 a lot of crap for its writing, restrictive RPG elements, worldbuilding, etc., What are some of the aspects that you think it actually did a good job of?

Mine:

The Brotherhood of Steel were well handled. Arthur Maxson is a well written character and their faction feels like a natural progression from where they left off in Fallout 3.

Kellogg was way underutilized but mostly well done for the time he was in. 

Companion reactivity was the best Bethesda has pulled off, though this varies with the companions.

Power armor looks and feels good. I like the weight and power of it, even breaks too easily.

Far Harbor was great apart from that one mission. It has the inherent FO4 problem of focusing on synths, which suck, but it does a better job with the sucky material than the base game did.

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Fallout question inspired by @Centurion but I’d love answers from anyone. We tend to give Fallout 4 a lot of crap for its writing, restrictive RPG elements, worldbuilding, etc., What are some of the aspects that you think it actually did a good job of?

Mine:

The Brotherhood of Steel were well handled. Arthur Maxson is a well written character and their faction feels like a natural progression from where they left off in Fallout 3.

Kellogg was way underutilized but mostly well done for the time he was in. 

Companion reactivity was the best Bethesda has pulled off, though this varies with the companions.

Power armor looks and feels good. I like the weight and power of it, even breaks too easily.

Far Harbor was great apart from that one mission. It has the inherent FO4 problem of focusing on synths, which suck, but it does a better job with the sucky material than the base game did.

I thought the Glowing Sea was one of the coolest Fallout areas in recent memory....that ended up being super underutilized (Reminded me of the Sea of Ghosts from Skyrim) XD

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I thought the Glowing Sea was one of the coolest Fallout areas in recent memory....that ended up being super underutilized (Reminded me of the Sea of Ghosts from Skyrim) XD

Yeah, the Glowing Sea’s atmosphere (literally :P) was very cool; stomping through that place in a power suit like some sort of radioactive deep sea dive was a very memorable part of the game.  

Wish they’d used it more as there are lots of things you could do with a location like that. Like an all-ghoul settlement that uses the rads for protection, or high level expedition quests to suit up and delve into buried ruins in search of old world treasures. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The glowing sea seemed like this extremely harrowing place up until I actually went there during the MQ and discovered that it’s 1 CoA settlement and like 4 ruins and there’s nothing else really there and there’s only 2 quests that take you there and they are both MQ associated

Fuck:dntknw:

3 minutes ago, Centurion said:

The glowing sea seemed like this extremely harrowing place up until I actually went there during the MQ and discovered that it’s 1 CoA settlement and like 4 ruins and there’s nothing else really there and there’s only 2 quests that take you there and they are both MQ associated

It's such a waste of super cool space XD

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

It's such a waste of super cool space XD

You know what’s even worse, I spent a ton of time gathering rad-x and radaway and making my power armor as resistant to rads as possible only to discover that you can legitimately just walk through the place naked and it’s not that big of a deal

Fuck:dntknw:

10 minutes ago, Centurion said:

You know what’s even worse, I spent a ton of time gathering rad-x and radaway and making my power armor as resistant to rads as possible only to discover that you can legitimately just walk through the place naked and it’s not that big of a deal

Yeah, wish it had been more like the Glow or Hopeville. Completely lethal for the unprepared.

Doesn’t help that deathclaws were so weakened in this game. If they were as bad as earlier games, the high concentration of them would’ve made it a lot more brutal.

59 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@TheCzarsHussar Played a little Halo CE today. It’s actually really impressive how much lore they established in the first game of a franchise that had no guaranteed sequels at the time. It’s very much building a world and not just being the dumb fun alien shooter game that it had every right to be. 

I think it's because they hired a professional sci-fi author to help them write the story bible; who was also writing the Halo the Fall of Reach at the same time; it must have helped enormously to have two such comprehensive documents  to draw lore from. 

• Like 2

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I think it's because they hired a professional sci-fi author to help them write the story bible; who was also writing the Halo the Fall of Reach at the same time; it must have helped enormously to have two such comprehensive documents  to draw lore from. 

It shows. One of the first lines in the game references the fucking Cole Protocol. XD That’s the kind of worldbuilding you just don’t expect from a game in Halo CE’s context. 

32 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It shows. One of the first lines in the game references the fucking Cole Protocol. XD That’s the kind of worldbuilding you just don’t expect from a game in Halo CE’s context. 

For a shooter; yesish, but for a triple A game of the time; eh, a little bit.

I've seen some people like to...mispresent Halo CE as kind of a breakout "Indie" success, but the fact is Bungie had bankrolling from BOTH fucking Apple AND Microsoft means they were probably swimming in money XD

I am headed to PA tonight since my father passed yesterday. Not totally unexpected, but I don't think you can prepare for something like that. My employer is being cool about it, I have the whole week without having to take PTO.

In happier news, I'm almost done with the second Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence (Prince of Fools) and it is really, really good. Recommended. Lots of Viking badassery, though the MC is a weasel fop of a southern prince. He does grow throughout the series and I ended up liking him. The story intersects in a couple spots with the Prince of Thorns trilogy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

7 minutes ago, Celan said:

I am headed to PA tonight since my father passed yesterday. Not totally unexpected, but I don't think you can prepare for something like that. My employer is being cool about it, I have the whole week without having to take PTO.

My condolences. If you don't mind me asking how old was he?  

7 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

My condolences. If you don't mind me asking how old was he?  

He was in his 80s. Had been sick for a while but still living on his own. It was a bit of a shock.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

@The Good Doctor @TheCzarsHussar Been replaying FEAR; I don't honestly have ANY fucking idea what kind of drugs the devs were on when they came up with the premise; XD

Monolith: "Let's make a tacticool shooter were you play a super soldier fighting mass produced clone who are being led by a physic ghost commander with the smartest tactical AI ever made, with the trappings of a horror game, have the player be chased by a J-Horror Grudge Girl, and throw in the mechs from our shitty anime game Shojo Armored Divison!"

EA:... 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Noble 6 for sure

I’m waiting for TES to have like a "Prisoner 6" or something to keep up the trend of my favorite PCs being these lone badass #6s.

I mean, Courier 6 makes it just two so far, but we’re one a way from making a pattern out of this. XD