Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #39

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I just meant in terms of you being an elite tactical badass but still an underdog compared to the terrifying sci-fi horror monsters you’re up against. I wouldn’t copy over F.E.A.R.’s gameplay or make the ODST that powerful, but I would probably still try to keep it as a shooter first and foremost, since an ODST should be much more skillful than… some normal dude like you play as in RE7 and 8. I’d just add horror elements on top of it, and maybe make ammo slightly more scarce than normal Halo. 

I was going to suggest maybe RE7/Village as Chris's sections, but lets be real, he feels like he'd be at least one of those elite Spartan III's in the Halo verse XD Maybe even a 2. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Maybe Metro is a more comparable speed. You still get to do plenty of spec-ops badassery, but you’ve gotta be a little smart and resourceful about it. 

That's alot more what I had in mind; especially Last Light's more scripted, but still open-ended gameplay XD

Maybe you could have a handful encounters with Covenant stragglers but make the encounters alot more brutal then the Bungie game. And it'd be a real cool avenue to incorporate them into the world by having them interact and suffer against the Flood same as you  XD

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

Hope I explained what I meant well enough XD

You did. Giving a wide range of RP-based choices and outcomes is very much Obsidian’s bread and butter. And Pillars is loaded with it.

So far, I can only think of one quest where I felt like the options given didn’t sufficiently cover what most characters would find themselves choosing, and it was a very small one in an area of the game that I’m pretty sure was unfinished. It was the weakest quest in the game so far, but mostly inconsequential and forgettable. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

You did. Giving a wide range of RP-based choices and outcomes is very much Obsidian’s bread and butter. And Pillars is loaded with it.

So far, I can only think of one quest where I felt like the options given didn’t sufficiently cover what most characters would find themselves choosing, and it was a very small one in an area of the game that I’m pretty sure was unfinished. It was the weakest quest in the game so far, but mostly inconsequential and forgettable. 

Poor Obsidian and unfinished/cut content. Someone needs to let them have the Larian treatment like they had with BG3 and just let them cook I swear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And it'd be a real cool avenue to incorporate them into the world by having them interact and suffer against the Flood same as you  XD

If we’re gonna go big with the idea, make it like Halo 2 with a secondary alien protagonist. XD Like a jackal or skirmisher.  

• Like 1

I thought my PC was making this awful noise and I was going to have to take it into the shop...

Turns out my new controller (wired, so I have to keep it nearby) which I put on top of the console was doing its buzzing thing. XD That's a couple hundred bucks I don't need to spend on a hard drive.

• Haha 2

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

3 hours ago, Celan said:

I thought my PC was making this awful noise and I was going to have to take it into the shop...

Turns out my new controller (wired, so I have to keep it nearby) which I put on top of the console was doing its buzzing thing. XD That's a couple hundred bucks I don't need to spend on a hard drive.

Glad your PC is alright!

@Celan

I did the Battle of Yenwood after White March this time and was surprised by how many options it opened up.

It turned an already neat quest into something great. By the end, my army contained Crucible Knights, Readceran archers, ogres, veteran militia, and Bleak Walker mercenaries, and it was really cool getting to command them and use them strategically to tip the scales.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

@Celan

I did the Battle of Yenwood after White March this time and was surprised by how many options it opened up. It turned an already neat quest into something great

Have a bad habit to read what is on screen. Glad I didn't understand any of that yet XD 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

How would you rank the games in this playthrough, hardest to easiest, and then most fun to least?

Hardest to Easiest.

Halo 2

Halo Reach

Halo 3

Halo CE

Most to Least Fun.

Halo CE: The most fine tuned and well balanced legendary. This is the best way to play, and feels like the canonical difficulty even if Heroic is technically. The enemies are powerful, but you're a supersoldier and moreso than any other Halo, you feel unstoppable. It's also the only legendary where any combination of weapons are viable, you don't need a plasma pistol and headshot capable weapon just to survive.

Halo Reach: Second only to 2 in brutal difficulty, elites are terrifying and they will obliterate you if you make one mistake. Reach just has one of the best campaigns ever, this translates well to legendary. Not counting Long Night against it as the unfairness was a MCC bug.

Halo 3: Outside some extreme spikes in difficulty, this also felt very well balanced. But at the same time, the rise tinted glasses have faded a little and Halo 3 just isn't as fun as it used to be.

Halo 2: It's not at all fun, but this is entirely due to the lack of fine tuning and balance. It's not just the jackal snipers, which the safety of checkpoints lets you die enough times to memorize their locations. But you feel like a wet napkin, chief is literally the second weakest thing in the game, that's not a joke. If Bungie had two more years, and the 360 hardware. Halo 2 in general would have been the greatest game of all time. But as it is, this legendary threatened to destroy me.

• Thanks 1