Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #39

51 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

al marine, being venerable and actually feeling like I could die.

Agreed. I really wish they’d make more games like that. The Human-Covenant war lasted decades, so there are endless stories they could tell if they wanted to.

Would love to play as a Marine or another ODST vs the Flood. Or some Insurrectionist guerrillas hiding from both the UNSC and the Covenant.

Hell, playing as Brute would be cool as hell. 

Wish they’d do more with this series than just continually make safer and more generic mainline sequels going further and further into a future we didn’t need to see. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Definitely. And by far the strongest dynamic between two characters is Chief and Cortana. I actually liked the decision to hone in on that in Halo 4, just not the story it was wrapped in.

"She said that to me once; about being a machine." Still one of my favorite Halo quoted

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Make it a more methodically FPS (comparable to RE 7/Village) set during the Flood Invasion of New Mombasa. Could play as a Special Ops Elite or ODSt.

ODST but with Flood would be so cool. I don’t think you’d have to slow the pace down to RE7 levels to maintain the horror. I’d look more to F.E.A.R. for inspiration, personally.

But imagine the infection forms being some of the most dangerous because you’re no longer a super soldier and they can actually turn you.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Agreed. I really wish they’d make more games like that. The Human-Covenant war lasted decades, so there are endless stories they could tell if they wanted to.

Would love to play as a Marine or another ODST vs the Flood. Or some Insurrectionist guerrillas hiding from both the UNSC and the Covenant.

Hell, playing as Brute would be cool as hell. 

Wish they’d do more with this series than just continually make safer and more generic mainline sequels going further and further into a future we didn’t need to see. 

Agreed ODST vs Flood sounds dope. Like never thought about that until you said it but man.
Like you said F.E.A.R. halo, sounds wonderfully gross in all the best ways. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

This must’ve been back in the early 2010s when BB was so popular. No way you’d get such a reaction from a high school today. :lol: Bet he’s a fun teacher.

I actually watched BB all the way through with my fiancee like last year, was my first time watching the series. It is my second favorite TV series now a days. Absolutely loved it and still need to watch Better Call Saul.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

Agreed ODST vs Flood sounds dope. Like never thought about that until you said it but man.
Like you said F.E.A.R. halo, sounds wonderfully gross in all the best ways. 

Gotta be stories to tell with that. The Flood had a lot of human combat forms by the end of Halo 3. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

I actually watched BB all the way through with my fiancee like last year, was my first time watching the series. It is my second favorite TV series now a days. Absolutely loved it and still need to watch Better Call Saul.

It’s a tossup for my second favorite as well, neck-and-neck with Deadwood, with HBO’s Rome in the top spot.

Better Call Saul is brilliant. A little slower than Breaking Bad, especially in the first half, but the character work is top tier.

image.png.eccf269de0ef1f60030a8d170a4c704c.png
Hands down probably still gonna be my favorite line through out this whole game. Decided to restart since I didn't take my first character creation serious, completely forgot I owned my own copy lol. But now i'm playing a Island-Aumaua Bleak Walker-Paladin Mercenary background. Let me tell ya, 1 v however many enemies there were after the temp companions were gone was pretty fun. Please tell me Aloth can be here with me the whole game? He is so close in energy to my main DnD character I have for tabletop.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s a tossup for my second favorite as well, neck-and-neck with Deadwood, with HBO’s Rome in the top spot.

Better Call Saul is brilliant. A little slower than Breaking Bad, especially in the first half, but the character work is top tier.

Look forward to watching it, not sure when we will though. We just finished the 2nd season of The Bear. Fiancee is going to culinary school, starting in Oct and that show gave her the final push she needed to do that because it's something she loves and has been considering for a while. We plan on opening a bakery/card shop in the future so wish us the best with that lol.

Sorry for triple post but I may have found one of the funniest mixes of show intros. Play the magic school bus theme while watching the old dnd cartoon opening muted and it's brilliant. Got to play the school bus theme just before the dnd ones starts, kids have to sit in the roller coaster when she says the seat belt line.

Edited by Elden Clown

33 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

Tell you what, I ever get into Halo modding I'll hit ya up for some story ideas. 

I’ll just do what Disney does, because a multi-billion dollar corporation has to be right. Yeah?

So you start out playing as the Rookie from ODST, but now he is a cynical old geezer whose wife killed herself because he was never home, and now he wants to die. 

Luckily, level 2 introduces a new protagonist. A female ONI officer who never wears helmets and looks 20 years old despite holding a very high rank. You play as her for most of the game, and will keep the Rookie from committing sudoku while upstaging him at every turn. She shows no fear of the Flood, and will regularly make quips at grandpa Rook struggling to fight against them while she does it effortlessly.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ll just do what Disney does, because a multi-billion dollar corporation has to be right. Yeah?

So you start out playing as the Rookie from ODST, but now he is a cynical old geezer whose wife killed herself because he was never home, and now he wants to die. 

Luckily, level 2 introduces a new protagonist. A female ONI officer who never wears helmets and looks 20 years old despite holding a very high rank. You play as her for most of the game, and will keep the Rookie from committing sudoku while upstaging him at every turn. She shows no fear of the Flood, and will regularly make quips at grandpa Rook while fighting them effortlessly.

Just..Thank you for the laugh. 

17 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

Island-Aumaua Bleak Walker-Paladin

Bleak Walkers have some of the coolest, most ruthless lore of any class in the setting. Whole idea is that they are oathsworn to never show any quarter, to solve every problem with the greatest application of legal force available, and to never renege on any contract once accepted. If a Bleak Walker says he will solve someone’s problems, what that really translates to is: "I will kill everything even tangentially responsible for this problem, then you too if you don’t pay me."

No prisoners, no mercy, no giving up until death. They’re basically the "I have an in-universe philosophical justification to play an evil mercenary" class. XD It’s pretty great.

17 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

Please tell me Aloth can be here with me the whole game?

Aloth is one of the core companions. You can keep him around for the whole game. His main "quirk", which you’ve already seen a little of, is very amusing and has a good backstory to it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

ODST but with Flood would be so cool. I don’t think you’d have to slow the pace down to RE7 levels to maintain the horror. I’d look more to F.E.A.R. for inspiration, personally.

But imagine the infection forms being some of the most dangerous because you’re no longer a super soldier and they can actually turn you.

I do love FEAR as you know but I think it's gameplay would not be suitable for something like a Halo Flood Survival Horror game. 

You play as a super human soldier in F.E.A.R; Point Man's bullet time  is explicitly supernatural (and inherited from his mother). The game, roughly speaking, has two separate sections. There's the atmosphere heavy horror sequences, which are more like scripted set pieces with hardly any gameplay; and the shooting sequences; which are almost a power fantasy against smart, tactical soldiers (with the occasional heavy mech support but I digress)

The Replicant soldiers are opposite of the Flood; who would be zombie-like (and more terrifying body horror abominations) 

12 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Bleak Walkers have some of the coolest, most ruthless lore of any class in the setting. Whole idea is that they are oathsworn to never show any quarter, to solve every problem with the greatest application of lethal force possible, and to never renege on any contract once accepted. If a Bleak Walker says he will solve someone’s problems, what that really translates to is: "I will kill everything even tangentially responsible for this problem, then you too if you don’t pay me."

No prisoners, no mercy, no giving up until death. They’re basically the "I have an in-universe philosophical justification to play an evil mercenary" class. XD 

Aloth is one of the core companions. You can keep him around for the whole game. His main "quirk", which you’ve already seen a little of, is very amusing and has a good backstory to it.

Honestly sounds perfect. I've always enjoyed the idea of playing a "evil" Paladin that is less evil in the sense of who they worship and more evil in what they do. Plus the writing and choices in this game are already better than i've seen in other games this early on. To many games where you can "rp" your character but its always Good choice, bad choice, lore choice, kill them, leave. 
So it's refreshing that games like this and BG3 I get that choice of fuck off or die instead of fuck off and die. Hope I explained what I meant well enough XD

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I do love FEAR as you know but I think it's gameplay would not be suitable for something like a Halo Flood Survival Horror game. 

I just meant in terms of you being an elite tactical badass but still an underdog compared to the terrifying sci-fi horror monsters you’re up against. I wouldn’t copy over F.E.A.R.’s gameplay or make the ODST that powerful, but I would probably still try to keep it as a shooter first and foremost, since an ODST should be much more skillful than… some normal dude like you play as in RE7 and 8. I’d just add horror elements on top of it, add some light stealth elements, and maybe make ammo slightly more scarce than normal Halo.