Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #39

52 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Same. It’d have to be lore accurate Cyrodiil for me with a drastically different pacing and tone with all the writing

Yeah, if they came out and were like "Oblivion: Ald Cyrodiil Edition", I’d be all over that shit. Gimme mystical Nibenay, grizzly Colovia, political and social unrest, succession crisis, merchant dynasties, river dragons, and jungles! Then I’ll be happy. XD 

But that ain’t happening. If it was real, and not just another classic Balrogism, then I’m sure it’ll just be Oblivion with 60 fps and godrays. 

20 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yeah, if they came out and were like "Oblivion: Ald Cyrodiil Edition", I’d be all over that shit. Gimme mystical Nibenay, grizzly Colovia, political and social unrest, succession crisis, merchant dynasties, river dragons, and jungles! Then I’ll be happy. XD 

But that ain’t happening. If it was real, and not just another classic Balrogism, then I’m sure it’ll just be Oblivion with 60 fps and godrays. 

I suppose we'll never know XD

8 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I've seen chatter about it. I kind of lost my taste for Telltale style games, even before they went out of business. Let me know if it's good if you play it, though.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

44 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s why I’m patiently waiting for the Morrowind mod team that’s making Cyrodiil how it was supposed to be

Fuck:dntknw:

@The Good Doctor So did decide to give Pillars another shot through Czar's shared library and i'ma be honest idk what was wrong with me this combat system is just fine and honestly I kind of like it. I mean my game taste and how I play games have changed drastically since the last time I played it. But man now I regret not grabbing it while it was on sale.
Edit: Also turns out I owned the game on Epic and completely forgot that I had got it free on there one day. Definitive edition too. Cherry on top my save from steam transferred over to Epic so I don't have to restart.

Edited by Elden Clown
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Elden Clown said:

idk what was wrong with me this combat system is just fine and honestly I kind of like it.

I tend to favor turn-based CRPGs over freeze time, so it took me some getting used to. But once I did, I really liked it too. It’s quite satisfying to pause the game, tactically set up all the character’s next actions, and then unpause and watch things play out as hoped.

You know what always slightly bothered me?

In Halo, the Mk-V armor is this absolutely massive framed bulky UNIT. It was simplistic and heavy looking, there's a reason chief could handle far more punishment in that armor than the Mk-VI in terms of gameplay.

But what bothers me is the canonical Mk-IV looks like an altered version of the prototype six. My question is why'd they go this route? Aside from animu cool factor. I'm a little rusty on my Halo lore, but I know a big factor in the V's bulkiness was due to the integration of the energy shields. Which was cutting edge reverse engineering, so I understand wanting to depict the IV as more mobile and slimmer.

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

But what bothers me is the canonical Mk-IV looks like an altered version of the prototype six. My question is why'd they go this route?

Cynical answer? Marketing. The Mk-IV concept was invented after the MK-VI had already become their big mascot, so they wanted fans to see that design and associate it with Halo. Same reason Fallout 4’s T-60 is just a ripoff of the T-45d.

There’s also some inconsistency in the designs anyway. If we want to bring 343 into the equation, the Mk-VI can be extremely bulky, depending on which game’s version of it we roll with. For all my dislike of Halo 4, I did like how big and heavy that game made the suit feel, even if it was a little overdesigned.

My biggest design gripe is Chief losing his ammo pouch belt (can it still be called a bandolier if it’s not over the shoulder?) after Halo CE. I always liked that touch. XD