Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

BTW; as Sony's getting eaten alive and shat on in court at the FTC's failed block for the Microsoft-Activision Merger (it's a farce) they failed to redact certain parts of documents they were forced to present; we now know The Last Of Us Pt. 2 cost $220 million to develop and Horizon Forbidden West cost $212 XD I bet at best, they broke even after like two years. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The Last Of Us Pt. 2 cost $220 million

Dang. That is over twice the budget of Skyrim before adjusting for inflation.

And TLoU2 had no legs. It sold a lot of copies out the gate and then dropped off hard in the following months. Wouldn’t be surprised if the TV show gave it a late bump, but overall it’s no wonder that Sony has tucked it into the corner and Naughty Dog has been so quiet ever since. 

Shows just how crazy fucking AAA single-player games are becoming; though I wonder if they included the work on factions up till before it was "restructured" XD 220 million, that's up there with moderately expensive movies. 

Is there a wonder FROM reuses animations and skeletons?

41 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Shows just how crazy fucking AAA single-player games are becoming; though I wonder if they included the word on factions up till before it was "restructured" XD 220 million, that's up there with moderately expensive movies. 

Is there a wonder FROM reuses animations and skeletons?

Aside from stuff like Star Wars, Superhero movies, and such, $220 million is still very expensive for a movie.

Plus, marketing, distribution, theater/retail fees, and such is usually not included as part of the production cost. With movies, it’s usually said that they’ve gotta make more than double that even turn a profit. A $200 million dollar movie’s gotta make something like $500-600 million to even be worth the effort. And that’s still not great for the big IPs.

Not sure how that translates to video games, but if it’s similar, then I reckon TLoU2 was quite the disappointment for Sony. But we already knew that.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

For reference, The Witcher 3’s production budget was less than $30 million just five years prior.

Imagine paying almost 8x as much to create a far inferior and less popular game. XD 

To be fair In terms of production quality; Last of Us 2 shits all over it though; the animations, and general visual fidelity are completely insane; so it makes sense Last of Us 2 costed way more XD

I would imagine games are cheaper to make in Poland too. 

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

To be fair In terms of production quality; Last of Us 2 shits all over it though; the animations, and general visual fidelity are completely insane; so it makes sense Last of Us 2 costed way more XD

Graphically, sure. But TW3 kicks its ass in terms of gameplay, style, and level design. TLoU2 handles like shit, and besides a single area that they front-loaded, the maps are very linear and repetitive. And it doesn’t come close to having the diversity, scale, or creativeness of TW3’s various regions and cities.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Graphically, sure. But TW3 kicks its ass in terms of gameplay, style, and level design. TLoU2 handles like shit, and besides a single area that they front-loaded, the maps are very linear and repetitive. And it doesn’t come close to having the diversity, scale, or creativeness of TW3’s various regions and cities.

I've never played it, but I heard the game actually plays really well while in combat or stealth? Some of the gif's i've seen are pretty insane. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I've never played it, but I heard the game actually plays really well while in combat or stealth? Some of the gif's i've seen are pretty insane. 

It looks crisp because the animations are indeed very good. And some people think that good looks = good gameplay, but I sure don’t. The actual handling is basically just like the first game (which was itself pretty clunky and limiting) except you can crawl now. The AI is really dumb and you can easily break it in some hilarious ways by going even slightly off the tracks that the devs want you to follow.

It’s even worse in some random arbitrary ways, like you can no longer swap out throawables. If you have a bottle but you want to pick up a brick, you’ve got to throw the bottle (alerting nearby enemies) in order to pick up the brick. Lots of little downgrades like this that add up and just make you go "why?".

If someone just wants a fun third person shooter, then there are tons of games I would recommend over TLoU2. Even if they want one with horror elements, they’ve got loads of better options for that too. The only thing I’d give this game over most competition are the graphics and animations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I also remember the hype leading up to Halo Reach's release was unbearable. My mom subscribed to that game informer magazine for me that year, and ten year old Czar was obsessed with the Halo Reach one, it had a bunch of screenshots of several missions.

I remember those too. After New Vegas and maybe Skyrim, it was the most hyped I had ever felt for a game. 

I've been following a game called Trepang2 (No it's not a sequel XD) for awhile; it aimed to be a spiritual successor of FEAR; and it has a very similar feel and gameplay loop (Super tense and tacticool gunplay, super smart AI that uses tactics against you, mixed with Wu style FX Effects) with heavy horror elements.  

Universe is very similar to SCP (just with some of the more cringey aspects removed). There's a secret organization that contains, and then research's "anomalies") but in this case they publicize  there findings as a public corporation front for the "advancement of humanity" ) 

Just came out, and It's very fun; its like FEAR 1 on steroids  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oooh, I really like the look of this one! How have I never heard of it?

Keep me updated, if you don’t mind! I’ll be curious to hear what you think after more time with it. 

The Boomer shooter revival is making gems like this constantly; it's a really good time to be an FPS fan XD

kHmP15Z.jpg

• Like 1

Apparently Calistico Protocol released a true ending DLC today that's absolutely horrible and closes any chance for a sequel...which is what they did for Dead Space 3 XD The "fans" the game had are now turning against the devs, who are running damage control on reddit (I saw Glenn, the DS creator, personally trying to throw water on the fire). Whole project seems like one of the biggest fuckups; the western version of Mighty Number 9

It actually uses an underutilized trope I really like, but in a stupid/horrible way XD

The DLC is supposed to take place after the base game; which had a cliffhanger/sequel bait ending; the main character does a heroic sacrifice, but the post credit reveals they survived, but are surrounded by infected.

It follows that with the character narrowly escaping...but finding themselves in a strange place. The location, the space prison, has been further taken over by the NOTNecromorph virus, and alot of the layout just dosen't make any sense anymore, with alot of very strange events happening that shouldn't be possible . After a bunch of stupid objectives; the reveal happens...

The character actually didn't really survive; the horde in the ending literally tore them apart; and they barely clung to life because they were infected by the NOT!Necromorph. (Maybe; more on that later). The events of the DLC were 1 of 2 things 

1. The dying nightmare of the main character;  hallucinations happen throughout the DLC, and the ending which reveals the protagonists was nothing more then his head attached to his ripped apart (the ending is seeing the MC amputated and torn to shreds; stupid shock value) and imagining it all. The problem with this is the game had ZERO psychological horror elements till now; Glenn made the conscious decision to walk away from the style that Dead Space had where this was a very heavy element, and bringing it back like this feels so foced 

2. There's other suggestions that the protagonist is NOT dreaming; but there dead already, and have gone to a not so good place. The various areas are ham-fistedly named after the locations in Dante's Inferno, and the events are preceded by the words, "Abandon Hope ye who enters here".  The MC relives dying in a fiery explosion from the start of the game, and the ending invokes images of eternal torture. The problem with this is THERE WAS NO SUPERNATURAL ELEMENTS IN THE BASE GAME. 

So all in all; the ending is super rushed, not anywhere CLOSE to what the devs had in mind for the franchise and clearly made it so the fans would have SOME closure; but alll in the worst possible ways 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It actually uses an underutilized trope I really like, but in a stupid/horrible way XD

Reveal hidden contents

The DLC is supposed to take place after the base game; which had a cliffhanger/sequel bait ending; the main character does a heroic sacrifice, but the post credit reveals they survived, but are surrounded by infected.

It follows that with the character narrowly escaping...but finding themselves in a strange place. The location, the space prison, has been further taken over by the NOTNecromorph virus, and alot of the layout just dosen't make any sense anymore, with alot of very strange events happening that shouldn't be possible . After a bunch of stupid objectives; the reveal happens...

The character actually didn't really survive; the horde in the ending literally tore them apart; and they barely clung to life because they were infected by the NOT!Necromorph. (Maybe; more on that later). The events of the DLC were 1 of 2 things 

1. The dying nightmare of the main character;  hallucinations happen throughout the DLC, and the ending which reveals the protagonists was nothing more then his head attached to his ripped apart (the ending is seeing the MC amputated and torn to shreds; stupid shock value) and imagining it all. The problem with this is the game had ZERO psychological horror elements till now; Glenn made the conscious decision to walk away from the style that Dead Space had where this was a very heavy element, and bringing it back like this feels so foced 

2. There's other suggestions that the protagonist is NOT dreaming; but there dead already, and have gone to a not so good place. The various areas are ham-fistedly named after the locations in Dante's Inferno, and the events are preceded by the words, "Abandon Hope ye who enters here".  The MC relives dying in a fiery explosion from the start of the game, and the ending invokes images of eternal torture. The problem with this is THERE WAS NO SUPERNATURAL ELEMENTS IN THE BASE GAME. 

So all in all; the ending is super rushed, not anywhere CLOSE to what the devs had in mind for the franchise and clearly made it so the fans would have SOME closure; but alll in the worst possible ways 

It comes across like the devs set up a sequel with the game’s cliffhanger ending, then abandoned those plans after its poor reception. And so they used the DLC to remove the cliffhanger and say "no no, it definitely ended there."

12 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

It comes across like the devs set up a sequel with the game’s cliffhanger ending, then abandoned those plans after its poor reception. And so they used the DLC to remove the cliffhanger and say "no no, it definitely ended there."

I feel bad for the devs in a way; but there surely could have been a better way to handle being forced to end the story in a way you didn't want too; DLC rather then a sequel. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I feel bad for the devs in a way; but there surely could have been a better way to handle being forced to end the story in a way you didn't want too; DLC rather then a sequel. 

Oh, I’m sure you’re right. Ending the game with "look, here’s a way for him to survive" and then later going "psych! That was a lie and he’s actually very very dead!" halfway feels like it’s punishing fans for remaining invested despite everything.

I think they’d have been better off just giving the DLC a happier or at least more satisfying ending so those twelve remaining fans could sign off on a high note, even if it would’ve been a little cliched (downer endings are honestly more cliched in horror anyway).

I do feel a little bad for them too, though. This is the big DLC for what was supposed to be a huge new horror IP, and it’s not even getting advertised on the marketplaces.