Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

Yesterday I said that Avowed is the only one that I'm especially excited for. That's not true. I'm also pumped for Dragon's Dogma 2. From everything I've seen, it seriously looks like they're taking what worked in the first game and just straight up improving everything they can. And it's on the RE engine so you know it's gonna be gorgeous. 

The Capcom guy is speaking Japanese, but you can tell from his expressions how happy he is to be talking about it. :lol: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yesterday I said that Avowed is the only one that I'm especially excited for. That's not true. I'm also pumped for Dragon's Dogma 2. From everything I've seen, it seriously looks like they're just taking the first game and just straight up improving everything they can. And it's on the RE engine so you know it's gonna be gorgeous. 

Hide contents

The Capcom guy is speaking Japanese, but you can tell from his expressions how happy he is to be talking about it. :lol: 

Itsuno-San; he's a pretty chill dude (he's the main person behind Devil May Cry) XD

Some of the details translated

"Improved pawn AI
Four times the size of the original Gransys ("Horrifying" Snow biome was specifically mentioned) 
Players can choose between a Human and Beastren Arisen
Big Focus on immersive physics for interesting gameplay possibilities (destroying a bridge to cause a monster to fall or pulling on the leg of one)
Two characters in the key art are Ulrika (linked to the Arisen) and Nadinia (High Priestess of the Beastren)
New vocations (Itsuno didn't elaborate but other than the ones with the censer and spear in the trailer, I'd imagine some DDO ones will make it like Spirit Lancer)" 

And the Beastmen already looking physically alot cooler then our Skooma Addicts XD

Fw8LsgWX0AsXeYY?format=jpg&name=large

• Thanks 1

On the topic of Dragon's Dogma, the first one is honestly one of the few games in the 'epic fantasy' genre that I can say has legitimately pushed the gameplay envelope in these last ten years or so. It would be innovative if it came out today, let alone back when it did.

Even games like Dark Souls didn't do as much to make the big 'epic' fights feel special or believable the way it did. In those, you fight a giant monster the same way you would a human. Dodge, block, swing at its ankles until it's dead. In Dragon's Dogma, you ain't taking down a giant dragon by clubbing its ankles. No, you're climbing up that fucker's back, grabbing him by the horns, and stabbing him in the eyes while he swings his head around trying to throw you off! XD 

It's one of the only games I've played that makes it feel like you're fighting giant enemies in believable ways. And it is so satisfying for it.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Some of the details translated

Thanks, but you know the video is dubbed, right? XD 

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Big Focus on immersive physics for interesting gameplay possibilities (destroying a bridge to cause a monster to fall or pulling on the leg of one)

This is gonna be good. I haven't been in a big fantasy mood lately, but the fact that we're getting this and Avowed in the same year has got me stoked!

• Haha 1

I keep going back to some of the clips in that video. Like, it looks like the cyclops at 2:10 recognizes that she is on a bridge and is deliberately stomping the support to collapse it and make her fall. AI fighting smart. And the part right after that where the pawn uses his shield to catapult the other guy onto the ogre's head looks really smooth.

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

On the topic of Dragon's Dogma, the first one is honestly one of the few games in the 'epic fantasy' genre that I can say has legitimately pushed the gameplay envelope in these last ten years or so. It would be innovative if it came out today, let alone back when it did.

Even games like Dark Souls didn't do as much to make the big 'epic' fights feel special or believable the way it did. In those, you fight a giant monster the same way you would a human. Dodge, block, swing at its ankles until it's dead. In Dragon's Dogma, you ain't taking down a giant dragon by clubbing its ankles. No, you're climbing up that fucker's back, grabbing him by the horns, and stabbing him in the eyes while he swings his head around trying to throw you off! XD 

It's one of the only games I've played that makes it feel like you're fighting giant enemies in believable ways. And it is so satisfying for it.

Do you really expecting anything less from the guy who created the modern third person action genre XD 

But yeah, nothing can touch Dragon Dogma's combat XD

CNfj.gif

In terms of physics and the way it interacts with the world; everything else might as well be jank. 

If you like that heavy focus on fighting Monsters that interact with you and the world in ways other games don't , Dragon's Dogma took alot of inspiration from Monster Hunter, you should really give World a try eventually 

m.gif

monster_hunter.gif

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Do you really expecting anything less from the guy who created the modern third person action genre XD 

That's a good point. I just can't help but appreciate that they didn't stop there like so many do. Most devs take a "don't fix what ain't broke" approach and just try to refine the exact same formula that's in 99% of 3D games (swing/shoot, block, crouch, jump, heal, etc.). I think Fromsoft have pretty much perfected that formula at this point. 

But Capcom were like "what else can we do?" and proceeded to make some crazy awesome shit that I've never seen in any other games of this scale before. Their dragon fight in particular basically puts all other dragon battles to shame.

17 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

If you like that heavy focus on fighting Monsters that interact with you and the world in ways other games don't , Dragon's Dogma took alot of inspiration from Monster Hunter, you should really give World a try eventually 

That game is just a smidgen too anime for my taste. Don't care for the crazy oversized weapons and stuff.

• Like 1

https://www.eurogamer.net/we-know-we-need-to-be-exploiting-lord-of-the-rings-embattled-embracer-says

tumblr_mglsouKOgQ1qfdnuvo1_500.gif

"We own Lord of the Rings, and we know we need to be exploiting Lord of the Rings in a very significant fashion and turning that into one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world," Karch said. "And that's obviously something we're going to be doing.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Personally, I prefer spending, investing, or saving my money over just setting it on fire and watching it burn, but hey, Embracer Group is free to keep doing that if they really want to.

There policy has just been buying and selling EVERY available IP and studio possible; I never thought it was sustainable XD

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

There policy has just been buying and selling EVERY available IP and studio possible; I never thought it was sustainable XD

Well I’m not going to pretend to know more about making money on a large scale than fucking Embracer, but I can safely say that their handling of LotR has done them more harm than good so far. I think it comes from a misunderstanding of fandoms. Fans of an 80 year old literary classic are not going to be receptive to the same exact tactics as, say, college-age Marvel fans. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Well I’m not going to pretend to know more about making money on a large scale than fucking Embracer, but I can safely say that their handling of LotR has done them more harm than good so far. I think it comes from a misunderstanding of fandoms. Fans of an 80 year old literary classic are not going to be receptive to the same exact tactics as, say, college-age Marvel fans. 

As soon as they said "cinematic universe" I was like "Oh no" XD

And now there's a Lord of the Rings anime coming and it's like "Guys slow the fuck down." 

• Haha 1

So nothing new on Avowed today, but Cyberpunk put on a good showing. Dog Town looks like an awesome location and the "spy thriller" vibe for the story has me interested.

Fallout 76: Atlantic City looks like it’s gonna be one huge New Vegas ripoff and not in a good way. They’re also doing a werewolf thing in the next update. Why do they keep doing this to poor Fallout?

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

So nothing new on Avowed today, but Cyberpunk put on a good showing. Dog Town looks like an awesome location and the "spy thriller" vibe for the story has me interested.

Fallout 76: Atlantic City looks like it’s gonna be one huge New Vegas ripoff and not in a good way. They’re also doing a werewolf thing in the next update. Why do they keep doing this to poor Fallout?

I mean what kind of a Werewolf? You could easily justify a man-wolf hybrid mutant if you really wanted too XD