Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

50 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The game is super flavorful, but unfortunately , despite literally having one of the best core shooting experiences (it plays like a dream); the systems around it are infamously borked, and the game doesn't have enough content, so I wouldn't recommend it till it gets its relaunch on Xbox later. 

Last two updates added a bunch of new content, maps, weapons and the like. Biggest issues that need fixing are crashes and optimization.

This game had a god awful launch, and Fatshark instead of fixing the problems focused on the fucking cosmetic shops first. That's why the game has such shit score on steam.

53 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Warhammer Age of Sigmar

Oh and Doc, stay away from this as if your sanity depends on it.

Games Workshop took a beloved and well crafted setting, destroyed it in a series of retarded and poorly written books. Then rebooted it as Age of Sigmar.

All because they couldn't copyright a bunch of the names in Warhammer Fantasy. Age of Sigmar was such a failure that they're bringing back fantasy, but the damage is done.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Games Workshop took a beloved and well crafted setting, destroyed it in a series of retarded and poorly written books. Then rebooted it as Age of Sigmar.

All because they couldn't copyright a bunch of the names in Warhammer Fantasy. Age of Sigmar was such a failure that they're bringing back fantasy, but the damage is done.

Age of Sigmar's launch was a total failure, but they've been doing alot of cool stuff with it. Last year it was on par with 40k in terms of sales. 

They are bringing back Fantasy, but only as a supplement "in the past" Horus-Heresy-esque spin off, The Old World. 

32 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Age of Sigmar's launch was a total failure, but they've been doing alot of cool stuff with it. Last year it was on par with 40k in terms of sales. 

They are bringing back Fantasy, but only as a supplement "in the past" Horus-Heresy-esque spin off, The Old World. 

No matter what they do with Age of Shitmar, it's a pale comparison of Fantasy.

Just the setting alone being a bunch of fucking unconnected realms, basically floating islands, where armies leave it just to punch other armies and return.

I don't even wanna go into all that I hate about it. They fucking nuked Fantasy for a cheap bootleg hybrid of it and 40k.

4 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Lanius really has such good dialogue. If you challenge him to fight you alone, he says your skull shall sit by him, mute, watching his armies march west.

Goddamn

I like when you taunt him and he breaks out one of the rawest threats in any game ever.

"We shall see how brave you are when nailed to the walls of Hoover Dam, your body facing West so you may watch your world die."  - :legate:

• Like 1

There is a truckload of good stuff in Lanius’s dialogue, to be honest. The longer it goes on, the better it gets. My favorite branch of the dialogue tree is when you get him actually respecting the Courier enough to open up about his opinion that this campaign was a bad idea on Caesar’s part, and how he knows this because of his own experiences back in Denver. Reveals a lot about his character.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Again i'm saying this as a person who used to own models and armies; it's alot more complicated then that. XD

Warhammer 40k gave each faction a new copy-writable name (while keeping the old ones in too) for their official desgination, like the Astra Millitarium for the Imperial Guard without nuking the setting 

Fantasy was squatted because Fantasy fans weren't engaging in the hobby anymore. It was selling less then a fraction of what 40K was doing, and they ALREADY made two attempts to resurrect it through Storm of Chaos and 8th Edition (which brought an overhaul to mechanics to bring it in line with 40k (and doing a complete revamp of everyone's armylist to add big centerpiece units). This pleased no one XD

Mind you, Games Workshop CREATED this situation by there mishandling of the IP, due to trying to 40kfify it. But it's a alot more complicated then "GEEDUBS WANTED TO COPYWRITE NAMES!" XD

I just did a playthrough of MGSV; the game is still one of the best controlling things ever made XD Fun as fuck. 

ezgif.com-gif-maker-6.gif

afham-naked-snake.gif

2661640-mgs2.gif

Besides me appreciating the very painful subtleties of the themes and plot alot more, there's a reallllly cool feature that I think alot of games should copy. It's called the Retaliation system; 

There's an adaptative AI observing the player as they play (in-game, its described as enemy commanders analyzing your tactics) and they make adjustments on your playstyle in the form of equipping there troops. Spamming smoke and sleep grenades? Soldiers are given gas masks

Using alot of headshots? Give them bullet-proof helmets. Go for the body or legs? Bulletproof vests and riot shields

Use CQC? Soldiers will arm themselves with shotguns.

Only infilitrating at night? They'll be given NVG googles. 

It even changes there behavior; rather then panicking at there comrades being abducted in ballons, they'll calmly start shooting them down.

If your sticking to sniping from a distance, they'll request Mortars and use them blow you to bits from the safety of camp. 

It's kind of crazy no one else has copied it, because it really makes a huge difference in gameplay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Damn, that was pretty cool. 

Just stumbled upon it randomly and was like damn that shit go hard as fuck. Especially when the 2 paladins came in like fuck, that’s how I imagine power armor

• Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

28 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Just stumbled upon it randomly and was like damn that shit go hard as fuck. Especially when the 2 paladins came in like fuck, that’s how I imagine power armor

It’s awesome. Went back and watched the first two videos too. Subscribed immediately. This guy does a really good job of capturing the sense of scale that this battle is supposed to have, and how brutal it was for the NCR to just throw bodies at the dug in BoS.

Would be cool if he does the First Battle for Hoover Dam one day.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s awesome. Went back and watched the first two videos too. Subscribed immediately. This guy does a really good job of capturing the sense of scale that this battle is supposed to have, and how brutal it was for the NCR to just throw bodies at the dug in BoS.

Would be cool if he does the First Battle for Hoover Dam one day.

I did the same thing lmao. This guy got a sub immediately. Hoover damn would be insane. Hell imagine 2nd Hoover with the boomers coming in and the enclave remnants. That shit would go hard as fuck. Hell I want this dude to do 1st and 2nd Hoover, battle for the Jefferson memorial, mobile base crawler and any other one we know about in fallout lore

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Back in the good old days when power armor regularly caused small arms to deal zero or very low damage.

Funny you mention that. I just got through mini-ranting about all the gameplay mechanics that were either introduced or reintroduced by New Vegas and then subsequently dropped again by Bethesda for Fallout 4. There are a lot.

Damage threshold was one of the biggest. It’s such a fundamental mechanic to the series that is somehow completely absent from all of Bethesda's games. It should’ve been improved on from New Vegas, not dropped entirely. 

Cause it’s just silly that while wearing a suit of T-51b, you can still be killed by a radroach or a BB gun.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Funny you mention that. I just got through mini-ranting about all the gameplay mechanics that were either introduced or reintroduced by New Vegas and then subsequently dropped again by Bethesda for Fallout 4. There are a lot.

Damage threshold was one of the biggest. It’s such a fundamental mechanic to the series that is somehow completely absent from all of Bethesda's games. It should’ve been improved on from New Vegas, not dropped entirely. 

Cause it’s just silly that while wearing a suit of T-51b, you can still be killed by a radroach or a BB gun.

Fallout 1 and 2 had an insane damage threshold with power armor, you couldn't do SHIT without energy weapons or the high caliber stuff.

New Vegas definitely nerfed it, but 4 didn't even fucking caaare

15 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Fallout 1 and 2 had an insane damage threshold with power armor, you couldn't do SHIT without energy weapons or the high caliber stuff.

New Vegas definitely nerfed it, but 4 didn't even fucking caaare

Far as I’m aware, 4 didn’t have it at all. Defense-wise, power armor was mechanically the same as leather armor just with more pieces and a higher damage resistance. Which is a damn shame because from how it looks, you’d think it would be more effective than ever.

If the damage threshold in New Vegas could function at 100% up to a certain point, with a separate damage resistance stat to supplement it, it would be the best system in the series by far. The weapons are already balanced for it (unlike Fallout 1 or 2), so every playstyle would be viable. It would make stuff like armor piercing rounds, the anti-material rifle, or the thermic lance have much more utility, while still allowing energy weapons (which have a built-in "armor piercing" effect) to shine the most against specific enemy types.

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I kinda loved how they made you feel like you were stepping inside tank armor; was very empowering. XD

Too bad from a mechanical perspective it was a regression and you got access to it right away XD

Imagine shoehorning your character either as a lawyer or former soldier, in a roleplaying game.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I kinda loved how they made you feel like you were stepping inside tank armor; was very empowering. XD

Too bad from a mechanical perspective it was a regression and you got access to it right away XD

I definitely love the feel of rocking a set of power armor in Fallout 4. I would’ve even been happy if it was the only armor type to have a damage threshold stat applied to it. Would’ve made its function match its looks. Was still a huge step up from power armor in Fallout 3 though, which had neither. 

Totally agreed on the "you get it right away" part. Power armor should be late game, or mid if you’re really good and jump through some difficult hoops early.  Front loading power armor and deathclaws killed the magic of both. 

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Imagine shoehorning your character either as a lawyer or former soldier, in a roleplaying game.

This falls flat considering

Fallout 1: you are the vault dweller who drew the short straw

Fallout 2: you are the child of the village elder and “become” the chosen one

Fallout 3: you literally see your whole life before being spit out as a 19 year old

New Vegas: you courier literally has an entire in-depth backstory

So fallout 4 wasn’t breach in form from any of the other games

the only thing it did in terms of backstory that are considered “too far” is giving you a spouse and a kid

Edited by Centurion