Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

1 hour ago, Centurion said:

Any thoughts on the rest of it. I’d like to here the reasoning for you list as well

I mostly agree with your points, if not all of the ranking positions they result in.

Fallout 1’s Brotherhood is my favorite because they feel so tailor-made for that game compared to all the rest. The world is still very harsh and barbaric and fucking creepy and weird, and the BoS feel right at home in it. They’re strong and even halfway friendly compared to most groups, but "friendly" in this game translates to giving props to you for surviving the suicide mission they sent you on to get rid of you. XD I love how they feel so alien compared to later games, to the point it’s kinda hard to tell if they’re secular soldiers, weird post apocalyptic techno-monks, or something else entirely. But one thing is certain is that they have the biggest guns, and that’s why you want them on your side.

Fallout New Vegas BoS reminds me a lot of Fallout 1 except more fleshed out and with the benefits and drawbacks that come from having several games’ worth of development holding them up. If no other games existed, they too would be fairly weird and mysterious, but by the time this game came out, seeing the BoS felt like seeing old friends. I actually kinda don’t like that, as it lessens the mystery behind them. But at the same time, I feel like Obsidian were aware of this and made the excellent decision of putting them in a very vulnerable state and having it so they’re not even in the running of factions who stand a chance at controlling the region.

And New Vegas also does the best job by far of analyzing the Brotherhood’s primary mission and exploring what might naturally come of that after decades of growth and evolution. And it asked very interesting questions about the pros and cons of their existence as well as how long it could realistically last in a world where other more flexible groups have managed to outgrow them.

Fallout Tactics (I’m bumping them down because thinking more about the NV crew renewed my appreciation for them a bit) did the same thing with the Brotherhood that Fallout 3 and 4 did, except earlier, better, and with a story and setting that feels more true to classical Fallout. The lore issue about their origin is annoying, but ultimately easy to handwave since it’s irrelevant to the story and part of an in-universe narration that you can just treat as canonically unreliable, which actually fits the themes of the game as the BoS lose track of their history and roots the longer they spend away from the West Coast.

Fallout 4 has Maxson, who is one of the best written characters in any Bethesda game. I genuinely love the sense of natural, believable, and justified progression that we see in their growth after the events of Fallout 3 (which is a thing Beth usually sucks at but absolutely nailed in this case). Their existence is far and away the most redeeming part of Fallout 4, and it makes me genuinely excited to see what direction they are taken in the future. I honestly have very little negative to say about them except that I wish stuff like Maxson’s alleged connections to the West Coast were better explored, because they either blatantly contradict New Vegas (which I’d hate) or they are a lie (which I would love and be very impressed by… but more explicit evidence of this should have existed).

Fallout 3 does something new, and I’d argue interesting, with Lyons being a rogue who continues to carry the banner and use it for his own ends, despite no longer giving a shit about the actual BoS. The conflict with the Outcasts is interesting and should’ve been way more deeply explored. I like their history (except the mutie stuff), I like what they represent. However, I don’t like that all of this stuff is set in D.C. and I find it to be just one major contrivance among many in Fallout 3. The characters are decent enough and some are even quite memorable, and I like that they’re relatively powerful, but still struggling as a result of trying so hard to play at being saviors that they can’t stay out of difficult conflicts. 

Fallout 2: they are just kinda there I guess?

Credit where it’s due to the writers of Fallout 76; they worked their asses off to make the best of a bad situation. The Brotherhood definitely should not have been in this game, but that didn’t stop the writers from giving enough of a shit to actually try and salvage a decent story out of the most contrived circumstances imaginable. The vanilla story (that should not have existed) about the BoS (who are all dead) was still probably the best written story Bethesda has told with this faction. By far, even. Unfortunately, the DLC one (that has living characters and starts out with a much less contrived premise) has much weaker characters and writing overall. Overall, none of it should have existed and despite the grains of legitimate quality, the whole thing is the perfect example of my biggest problem with Bethesda’s approach to Fallout: they see it as a bunch of marketing mascots to play with, not a large and diverse world with many different stories to tell. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

@The Good Doctor

Just like how I remembered it; AC's finally back to its roots. 

That looks good. AC probably should’ve done this like four games ago.

36 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

WERE FLYING INTO FREE INTO THE CLOUDS OH YEAH!

Oh hell yeah! If this is better than the first one, then Capcom really deserves some props because they are on a damn roll right now. 

And if they keep improving, then it can only peak on one way…

28 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

NVM it's a extraction shooter :( 

34 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

NEW FUCKING MARATHON GAME BY BUNGIE

This fucking boggles my mind; why would you hype a new Bungie shooter, have it be a FUCKING Marathon game, and make it a free to play multiplayer PVP/PVE shooter :( Biggest fucking Monkey Paw. 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

This fucking boggles my mind; why would you hype a new Bungie shooter, have it be a FUCKING Marathon game, and make it a free to play multiplayer PVP/PVE shooter :( Biggest fucking Monkey Paw. 

What were you hoping for? Destiny 3? XD I guess it could’ve been a new IP, but with so much of the OG Halo team gone, "Bungie" is just a company name at this point.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oh hell yeah! If this is better than the first one, then Capcom really deserves some props because they are on a damn roll right now. 

And if they keep improving, then it can only peak on one way…

Hide contents

DD 1 had about 35 percent of it's planned content finished; Itsuno (the director and the dude behind Devil May Cry) really went over ambitious with it. 

What's really cool is I saw the Ghorgons and Beast Races (the lion men), planned stuff cut from 1, shown in the trailer, and I read an interview saying now that Itsuno's been giving the means, he making 2 the game he wanted one to be (which was still a very solid RPG). 

Trailer itself looked great, so hopefully we get a really special RPG. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

DD 1 had about 35 percent of it's planned content finished; Itsuno (the director and the dude behind Devil May Cry) really went over ambitious with it. 

What's really cool is I saw the Ghorgons and Beast Races (the lion men), planned stuff cut from 1, shown in the trailer, and I read an interview saying now that Itsuno's been giving the means, he making 2 the game he wanted out of 1 (which was still a very solid RPG). 

Trailer itself looked great, so hopefully we get a really special RPG. 

DD1 is really solid and quite creative. If this is being made by the same people with more resources making the game that they always wanted, then I’ve got high hopes. Easily the one from this lineup that I most expect to get and play around release. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Oh. I thought you wanted something other than Marathon. Yeah, sucks that they’re using it this way.

It just seems so stupid; dusting off a thirty year old IP that hasn't had a game in over twenty years and making it completely removed from it's original form XD

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That looks good. AC probably should’ve done this like four games ago

Reveal hidden contents

Medieval Bangladesh is a really inspired choice; of course it's reminiscence  of the cities in 1, but it has it's own flavor. 

I'm just really happy they set a game in a singular city again; the screenshots are oozing culture and beauty

4142760-acmirage.jpg

15785a40-fa75-11ed-bc3d-5541af914f71.cf.

Seems like the character isn't a proper Assassin yet; but he's going by "Hidden One" ; the proto-Assassins from Origins (by far my favorite of the RPG's). So it seems like this is going to be sequel of Oriigns and a prequel to 1 I always wanted the  other games to be XD

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Seems like the character isn't a proper Assassin yet; but he's going by "Hidden One" ; the proto-Assassins from Origins (by far my favorite of the RPG's). So it seems like this is going to be sequel of Oriigns and a prequel to 1 I always wanted the  other games to be XD

At this point, AC has gotten way past my ability to keep up with whatever the hell it’s supposed to be about. I’m just going to view this game in a vacuum, hope it’s good stand-alone, and comfortably allow any lore from the last three to five games just fly over my head. XD 

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Snake Eater is looking hot too.

Happy for you, BigBossBalrog. :lol: Though I’ll probably hold off on paying this one much attention until we have more reason to think the company is going to do a good job without Kojima. If it’s got MGSV level fun gameplay, I might give it a try. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Happy for you, BigBossBalrog. :lol: Though I’ll probably hold off on paying this one much attention until we have more reason to think the company is going to do a good job without Kojima. If it’s got MGSV level fun gameplay, I might give it a try. 

They should focus on the graphics and overhauling the gameplay (MGS3 still plays very well, just bring some of the suitable mechanics from V like the movement and CQC and it'll be fire). 

IGN said a Konami spokesmen said there using the original script 100 percent (same audio and dialogue, but Remastered), so hopefully the story isn't touched at all.