Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

“Nobody with a brain in their heads will compare Dial of Destiny favorably to the first three films.”
– Donald Clarke, Irish Times

My people XD 

The trailer looks absolutely dreary. No humor, no personality, and that lead female actor can't act for shit.

• Haha 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Costed a ton too; a production nightmare. With the writing strike happening at the same time this could be a disaster.

The shitty Star Wars movies still made a tidy profit but I don't think Jones has nearly the same "watch it anyways because it's Star Wars". 

If Jones ever had that, it was lost with Crystal Skull. That movie did the shitty modern sequel thing before it was cool. 

2 minutes ago, Celan said:

My people XD 

The trailer looks absolutely dreary. No humor, no personality, and that lead female actor can't act for shit.

Ruining and getting rid of classic male leads seems to be this actress’s favorite thing. She actually wrote the screenplay for the last 007 movie, which basically did to James Bond what this movie seems like it’s doing to Indiana Jones.

Except it went a step further by just straight up killing him off.

I'm so fucking sick of plucky female leads that show up the male characters, especially established ones.

It's like the WNBA. Nobody gives a fuck about your grrl power. We want to see men being men.

Speaking of movies, this is an interesting list- top sci fi movie from each of the last 25 years- some of these I hadn't heard of

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/best-sci-fi-movies-each-year-1998/

• Like 2

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

10 minutes ago, Celan said:

My people XD 

You should visit Dublin; me and my brother went over last year and it's an amazing experience XD We have family there but its always good to see your kinsmen regardless

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

You should visit Dublin; me and my brother went over last year and it's an amazing experience XD We have family there but its always good to see your kinsmen regardless

I plan to go but not sure when. I'll probably concentrate on the south and west coast since that's where my family is from. I talked to a living cousin through Ancestry DNA.

13 minutes ago, Celan said:

I'm so fucking sick of plucky female leads that show up the male characters, especially established ones.

What’s really annoying about this is that it’s almost a trope that I really like. That of grizzled old hero nearing death/retirement passing his torch to someone younger who can carry on his legacy. When it’s done with respect or reverence for the older stories, it can be great.

Problem is that it seems like almost every attempt to do it lately has been a cynical "deconstruction" of the old hero where he’s now a backwards old loser who needs to learn how it’s actually done from the plucky young lady. 

Only recent movie I can think of that got it right was Top Gun Maverick. And lo and behold, it was wildly successful! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

What’s really annoying about this is that it’s almost a trope that I really like. That of grizzled old hero nearing death/retirement passing his torch to someone younger who can carry on his legacy. When it’s done with respect or reverence for the older stories, it can be great.

Problem is that it seems like almost every attempt to do it lately has been a cynical "deconstruction" of the old hero where he’s now a backwards old loser who needs to learn how it’s actually done from the plucky young lady. 

Only recent movie I can think of that got it right was Top Gun Maverick. And lo and behold, it was wildly successful! 

It's because these people have all the writing jobs XD  (This one in particular you should remember)

• Confused 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

(This one in particular you should remember)

Apart from the really big ones they’re all the same to me. Who is she?

This is the reason why I don’t support the writer’s strike. Fuck the WGA. Last thing this industry needs is job protection for these hacks. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Apart from the really big ones they’re all the same to me. Who is she?

This is the reason why I don’t support the writer’s strike. Fuck the WGA. Last thing this industry needs is job protection for these hacks. 

Ancient history XD

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2023 at 4:10 PM, The Good Doctor said:

She actually wrote the screenplay for the last 007 movie, which basically did to James Bond what this movie seems like it’s doing to Indiana Jones.

By the way, I just remembered that this chick is also set to be the lead writer for the new Tomb Raider show they’re working on… for some reason.

So there’s another character I expect to see ruined soon (not that Lara Croft ain’t used to it by now XD ). Though I suspect that instead of making Lara pathetic like Bond or Indy, she’ll probably just get reduced to another bland and generic "girl boss" with none of her original personality intact.

Which, in fairness, is how she was portrayed in the most recent movie and the last three games, anyway. Seems that’s just the reality of Tomb Raider in modern times.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

By the way, I just remembered that this chick is also set to be the lead writer for the new Tomb Raider show they’re working on… for some reason.

So there’s another character I expect to see ruined soon (not that Lara Croft ain’t used to it by now XD ). Though I suspect that instead of making Lara pathetic like Bond or Indy, she’ll probably just get reduced to another bland and generic "girl boss" with none of her original personality intact.

Which, in fairness, is how she was portrayed in the most recent movie and the last three games, anyway. Seems that’s just the reality of Tomb Raider in modern times.

Don't forget apparently giving anything and everything back to the natives that she loots XD

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

Don't forget apparently giving anything and everything back to the natives that she loots XD

I’ll be surprised if she does any looting in this series unless it’s some kind of "we need to get this ancient macguffin to save the world" kind of nonsense. They are incapable of making the Tomb Raider an actual raider of tombs. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I’ll be surprised if she does any looting in this series unless it’s some kind of "we need to get this ancient macguffin to save the world" kind of nonsense. They are incapable of making the Tomb Raider an actual raider of tombs. 

I remember in Thief there was some missions were you looted crypts and ancient cities; Garett would probably be cancelled too XD

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You've always got Bethesda's Indiana Jones game to look forward to :evil:

Yeah, I’m not playing that.

Gonna just have to get my fix by rewatching of The Mummy and replaying of the older TR games like I’m stuck in the early 2000s or something. Cause this seems to be a dead genre at this point.

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I remember in Thief there was some missions were you looted crypts and ancient cities; Garett would probably be cancelled too XD

Difference is that Garett is a toxic male so he can do his thing as long as he’s called out for it by his liberal arts student goddaughter or something. 

Lara Croft doesn’t have that freedom. She will be a saint, Rey with guns, and can’t be allowed to engage in the pesky behaviors that she used to. Too problematic.

Shame because OG Lara was badass as fuck. She plundered ruins and looted tombs because it was fun. That shit wasn’t for any cause more noble than obtaining new trophies to put on her wall. And she’d gun you down for trying to stop her. XD 

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Difference is that Garett is a toxic male so he can do his thing as long as he’s called out for it by his liberal arts student goddaughter or something. 

Lara Croft has to be a saint, Rey with guns, so she can’t be allowed to engage in the pesky behaviors that she used to. 

Shame because OG Lara was badass as fuck. She plundered ruins and looted tombs because it was fun. That shit wasn’t for any cause more noble than obtaining new trophies to put on her wall. And she’d gun you down for trying to stop her. XD 

I always preferred Garrett's "I got to pay the fucking rent" motivation (though I think there's some pure kleptomania) but it's indeed a cool archetype that's dead with the 90's XD

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I always preferred Garrett's "I got to pay the fucking rent" motivation (though he I think there's some pure kleptomania) but it's indeed a cool archetype that's dead with the 90's XD

Both work great. But they’re just very different characters. Garrett is a professional burglar who does it as a job. Lara is a millionaire heiress who loves exploring and collecting trophies and gets bored laying around on feather beds all day. 

I really like Lara’s motivation because of how versatile it is for storytelling. You can use it to justify putting her in almost any situation you want, and she’ll keep a cool attitude all the while because getting into dangerous situations is basically playing with toys for her. 

There was a TR comic series many years back that wasn’t half bad most of the time. But the final page of the final issue basically sums up her character by having her essentially wink at the reader and say that she will keep doing this forever for no other reason than "because it’s fun". That’s why I like old Tomb Raider so much. It’s only ever trying to be fun.

But hey, Retro throwback games are becoming a genre on them own; I'd never though we'd get NEW games in the vein of Doom and Duke Nukem in 2023, but the whole genre is booming. Or actually Survival Horror titles with the same horrible camera controls and tank moving like the original Silent Hill and Resident Evil XD Maybe an Adventurer Platformer like the old Tomb Raider is just down the line XD

It's gotten so big, actual big publishers are making there own throwbacks.