Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Why the fuck would dove care about video game shit? XD

They market to fat chicks. Don't ask me why.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

3 minutes ago, Celan said:

They market to fat chicks. Don't ask me why.

The weird thing is I see Dove Ads all the time on the streets and youtube and I can't recall any fat girls on them XD

It still doesn't explain why they are going after games all of a sudden 

8 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The weird thing is I see Dove Ads all the time on the streets and youtube and I can't recall any fat girls on them XD

It still doesn't explain why they are going after games all of a sudden 

Their campaign is called "Real Beauty" so it fits that they're being judgy about sexualized female figures.

• Haha 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

3 hours ago, Celan said:

Their campaign is called "Real Beauty" so it fits that they're being judgy about sexualized female figures.

Wonder when they’re gonna start complaining about all the men having giant arms and taking their shirts off so women can ogle their pecs. XD 

11 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Wonder when they’re gonna start complaining about all the men having giant arms and taking their shirts off so women can ogle their pecs. XD 

That's their Axe Body Spray campaign, "Boom Chicka."

If you guys are up for some reading, you might like the Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence. I have a long commute now so I've been listening to audiobooks on Scribd (which is cheaper than Audible) and am halfway through this, it made me think of you lads.

It's grimdark but has some good humor and has an interesting setup. Falls under dark fantasy but is post-apocalyptic, with England having returned to feudalism. There are suggestions that the magic in the world is from mutagens. Reminds me a lot of the Witcher universe. The audiobook performer is brilliant- he makes me laugh just from normal sentences, really does the dark humor justice.

image.thumb.png.f83086af6f4af37927b7fbae88ee0d70.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In terms of reading I've been going through the British Library's Tales of the Weird. 

For some reason, the BL been licensing and doing it's own collections recently and it's mainly for horror titles; thanks to them i've been getting alot of exposure to authors I didn't even know existed XD The quality is generally good (but with short story collections you have the same pros and cons of a anthology movie; there's going to be winners and losers), and I like the presentation of the books themselves  alot. 

They pick a theme (either a sub-genre or an author) and all the stories are themed after it.

9f49f771577413.5bc9de8886238.jpg

9780712352338_1000x.jpg?v=1594306109ShadowsonthewallWEB9780712354066_1600x.j

9780712354165WEB_1000x.jpg?v=1644333782

• Like 1

I had one of the most ridiculous dreams last night.

I was on an old movie set looking for my mom, finding her dressed as 60's batman with a really obviously fake ned Flanders looking mustache. The scene she was about to shoot was batman eating moldy bread and drinking milk out of the toilet.

I think I woke up from laughing too hard in the dream. Lmao

• Confused 1

I have a friend that works at the British Library, doing business outreach. They're quite a thing.

These AI-made "selfies of history" are pretty funny

6i3l3nzbw01b1.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&

lwxm8ozbw01b1.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&

I love that Genghis Khan's tweet violated Twitter rules XD 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Apparently the new Indiana Jones is terrible XD

Mind you, we've already discussed how that franchise was already rooted in creepy shit; but I think it's hilarious and sad Disney's ruined yet ANOTHER IP  

From what I’ve heard, it’s so bad that it makes Crystal Skull look not terrible by comparison… which is a hell of a feat.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

From what I’ve heard, it’s so bad that it makes Crystal Skull look not terrible by comparison… which is a hell of a feat.

Hilarious thing too, in terms of Lucas Film movies, its the one they made after doing RIse of Skywalker; :rofl: That's one hell of a bad streak. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Hilarious thing too, in terms of Lucas Film movies, it’s the one they made after doing RIse of Skywalker; :rofl: That's one hell of a bad streak. 

And their most recent live action show was the Willow series, which performed so badly that they’re about to remove it from Disney+ and make it impossible to legally watch at all.

Indiana Jones is quite possibly the easiest formula they could have replicated; it has none of Star Wars pretentious philosophy or eastern inspiration; just have an explorer, a McGuffin, a location that's filled with traps, some easily hated (and ethnic) group of bad guys, and there's the movie XD 

And they fucked it up. 

3 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Man if I was Harrison Ford Id be pissed.

Imagine doing the new star wars movies for a fat stack of cash but also the implicit implication that another India Jones movie is made, which he stats in.

Only to have it be trash.

To be fair I think Ford's mercenary approach of "I don't give a fuck about this character or property pay me" means I doubt he'll care much XD

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

To be fair I think Ford's mercenary approach of "I don't give a fuck about this character or property pay me" means I doubt he'll care much XD

I thought he still was fond of playing Indiana Jones? Well at least he was back in 2016 XD

Too little, too late I guess. He probably didn't put in much effort seeing how bad the script was. Not that I've seen it yet.

2 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That was Han Solo and probably a bunch of other stuff, but Czar is right that he actually liked playing Indiana Jones.

Spielberg ensured that I would never like Indiana Jones, but reading the reviews, it sounds this movie is exactly what we’ve come to expect from modern sequels to older classics. Indy is a pathetic old relic while this young, morally superior, and better-in-every-way lady picks up his torch and smugly destroys the reputation of his IP because nobody knows how to write good stories anymore. XD 

• Sad 1

Costed a ton too; a production nightmare. With the writing strike happening at the same time this could be a disaster.

The shitty Star Wars movies still made a tidy profit but I don't think Jones has nearly the same "watch it anyways because it's Star Wars". 

3 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Indiana Jones is quite possibly the easiest formula they could have replicated; it has none of Star Wars pretentious philosophy or eastern inspiration; just have an explorer, a McGuffin, a location that's filled with traps, some easily hated (and ethnic) group of bad guys, and there's the movie XD 

It should be, but they’re saddled with a protagonist whose actor is considered by many to be irreplaceable. Remember, they tried replacing Ford in "Solo" and it was the first Star Wars movie to ever lose money. XD 

But irreplaceable as he is, Harrison Ford is also a dinosaur. He can barely maintain a slow jog, let alone look convincing while fighting bad guys or traipsing through trap-infested ruins. So instead of just letting the franchise stay dead like they should have, they decided to revive it as yet another shitty attempt at a "subversive" pass-the-torch story. 

Everyone wants their own "Unforgiven" these days, but so far, "Logan" is the only attempt I can think of that’s even come close