Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

31 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I had heard of it, but it somehow took me until tonight to finally give it a watch. Would definitely recommend it, but with the caveat that you need to be in the mood for something brutal.

I’ve been in that mood lately. XD Started a sort of "dark western" binge this week, with Unforgiven, Pale Rider, The Great Silence, and next will be Dark Valley. So far, Silence was easily the darkest of the lot, if that gives you any frame of reference. 

If you want to watch something REALLY Grimdark, that's similar to a western; watch Harakiri (The original, not the remake); the most brutal and fucking thorough deconstructions of Bushido and the Samurai that's been ever put into film. The final two fights of the movie are some of the greatest in cinema, but its a gut punch through and through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

If you want to watch something REALLY Grimdark, that's similar to a western; watch Harakiri (The original, not the remake); the most brutal and fucking thorough deconstructions of Bushido and the Samurai that's been ever put into film. The final two fights of the movie are some of the greatest in cinema, but its a gut punch through and through. 

I second this. It's a really brutal film. The final fight is legendary.

• Like 1

@BigBossBalrog RE4 

Something I forgot to mention that I really like about this remake is that despite wanting to preserve the main storyline as much as possible, it’s clear that they made strides to improve on little details where they could.

The part where Ashley and Leon get separated at the end of chapter 7 is so much better in this one than the original. I really dig how they decided to make use of the plagas mind control -which is supposed to be a major story beat- to have Ashley flip on Leon and leave him against her will. Not only is it way less stupid and contrived than how she just ditzily ran away in the OG game, but it also does a great job of foreshadowing exactly what Los Iluminados have planned for her down the line.

I know it’s easy and common to rail on the RE games for having hollow or even downright stupid stories, but stuff like this shows that the writers are paying attentional and actually care about this one. It’s not particularly complex, but I’d say it’s mostly really good so far, taking the original, ironing out the parts that made it silly and dumb, and leaving us with something that’s actually quite clean and consistent without removing the stuff that made it fun.

Also, the characters are legitimately good. I really like their handling of Leon on this go-round and it’s pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. They kept his fun quippiness, but added some actual layers beneath it by focusing more on RE2 and how the events of that game affected him. You really get the sense that his increased level of skill and competence in RE4 aren’t just tacked on to make him more badass like before, but instead are the result of him being almost obsessively driven to improve himself so he can prevent something like that from happening again. 

Ashley is pretty much an all around strict improvement. She behaves like a real person, not just a plot device, and her interactions with Leon are fun and compelling. There’s even some decent development to pick up on, like the subtle ways she becomes braver and less timid, and more confident in both herself and Leon the longer they’re together. And her VA is absolutely crushing it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

If I ever were make a new Nightblade character in ESO, which I definitely won’t, then I would absolutely use that dog head and a red-dyed Legion set to model him after Vulpes Inculta. Just to troll.

like 5 percent of the population would get it and thats me being generous xD

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

like 5 percent of the population would get it and thats me being generous xD

I tried it with Fargoth one day just to screw around and there were a couple of people who got it. Despite being from a TES game, I’d honestly be pretty surprised if there were more ESO players who are familiar with him than Vulpes.

You’re right though, I’d guess at it being <5% as well. But it would be funny when I find those people.

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I tried it with Fargoth one day just to screw around and there were a couple of people who got it. Despite being from a TES game, I’d honestly be pretty surprised if there were more ESO players who are familiar with him than Vulpes.

You’re right though, I’d guess at it being <5% as well. But it would be funny when I find those people.

Ah i forgot youre on console actually, totally different audience. They would get it a looot more than the pc mmo crowd

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

This is there SECOND attempt at a LOTR MMO. 

You know, as overwhelmingly iconic as Middle Earth is, the world had a surprisingly good run without it getting exploited for everything it’s worth. Seems like Christopher Tolkien did a good job of keeping the buzzards away for as long as possible. 

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

You know, as overwhelmingly iconic as Middle Earth is, the world had a surprisingly good run without it getting exploited for everything it’s worth. Seems like Christopher Tolkien did a good job of keeping the buzzards away for as long as possible. 

Kind of dosen't matter anymore with how much the flood gates have opened and it's being exploited left or right :( As good as Chrisopher was at protecting it, it's a shame he didn't install that same level of care into his heirs.