Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I kinda of love how they added the buildup in the dungeon, and all the little hints your about to stumble onto something XD Very moody 

Yeah, the dungeon was easily the highlight of the chapter, no contest. And that’s despite only containing one enemy.

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The catapults though :rofl: Ashley: "They have catapults ?!" It's ridiculous but I think it works. They aren't so hard when you realize gun powder barrels are conveniently stored next to them

This was the chapter that skyrocketed Ashley’s likability for me. There were quite a few parts where her reactions to the insanity felt so real and believable that I couldn’t help but laugh. XD In fact, I think the part where Leon jumps onto the chandelier is my new favorite exchange in the game. Her bewildered reaction and Leon’s nonchalant response were both priceless. It felt like Leon didn’t tell her what he was about to do specifically because he thought it would be funny to mess with her. :rofl: 

Regarding the catapults, they were okay. I took out two of them with the barrels and the other two with the cannon. Was kinda like a combat puzzle, and I thought it was neat.

It’s mainly the last part in the waterways that I found weak, both in terms of gameplay and level design (seriously, what the hell are those weird ass rooms even for??). 

16 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yeah, the dungeon was easily the highlight of the chapter, no contest. And that’s despite only containing one enemy.

This was the chapter that skyrocketed Ashley’s likability for me. There were quite a few parts where her reactions to the insanity felt so real and believable that I couldn’t help but laugh. XD In fact, I think the part where Leon jumps onto the chandelier is my new favorite exchange in the game. Her bewildered reaction and Leon’s nonchalant response were both priceless. It felt like Leon didn’t tell her what he was about to do specifically because he thought it would be funny to mess with her. :rofl: 

Regarding the catapults, they were okay. I took out two of them with the barrels and the other two with the cannon. Was kinda like a combat puzzle, and I thought it was neat.

It’s mainly the last part in the waterways that I found weak, both in terms of gameplay and level design (seriously, what the hell are those weird ass rooms even for??). 

I think they had to keep them due to there infamously toxic reputation XD That area became famous in the original for being a wall. 

And when it comes to stupid architecture choices; come on, are we forgetting the nonsense in the Spencer Mansion and the RYPD XD

44 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And when it comes to stupid architecture choices; come on, are we forgetting the nonsense in the Spencer Mansion and the RYPD XD

I don’t agree, RCPD’s layout and architecture were excellent considering that the building was once a museum. The only weird thing about it were a secret passage or two, which at least led to rooms that made sense like a hidden office and maintenance tunnels. That’s not nearly on the same level as a giant room with bizarre stairs and floors that are raised and lowered by five separate hand cranks in five different locations… have no idea what the purpose or function of a room like this would be. XD 

That’s why this area stood out so much to me. Because otherwise, the remakes of RE 2, 3, and 4 have generally been really good about making very believable locations into engaging set pieces. I think this is the first time across all three games that a location’s design has interfered with muh immersion.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I don’t agree, RCPD’s layout and architecture were excellent considering that the building was once a museum. The only weird thing about it were a secret passage or two, which at least led to rooms that made sense like a hidden office and maintenance tunnels. That’s not nearly on the same level as a giant room with bizarre stairs and floors that are raised and lowered by five separate hand cranks in five different locations… have no idea what the purpose or function of a room like this would be. XD 

That’s why this area stood out so much to me. Because otherwise, the remakes of RE 2, 3, and 4 have generally been really good about making very believable locations into engaging set pieces. I think this is the first time across all three games that a location’s design has interfered with muh immersion.

I was talking more about the original; it was XD Not only is there not a single bathroom in the game, there's a lot of out of place gothic aspects. I know it's handwaved with the museum explanation (which I love XD) but there's the inherent fact of weirdness; what kind of creep converts a museum into a police station in the first place XD

I've been playing Black Mesa; it's a remake of Half Life made by fans; goes beyond a graphical to a full on reimagining; really fun so far, and the quality is insane.

The unique thing about is that after seeing it Valve offered to help get it commercialized and other technical support; they embraced the mod and it can be bought on steam. It'd be cool if Beth did that for Skywind and Skyblivion XD

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yeah they’re well on their way to making up for Raccoon City at his point.

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Umbrella working those PR brownie points

The fucking hilarious thing is Blue Umbrella (formed from remnants of the UBSS and Science Division) is currently trying to "atone" (Aka do PR) by helping the heroes in the new games XD

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Have any of y’all seen The Great Silence? It’s a 1969 western by Sergio Corbucci, and was Tarantino’s biggest inspiration for The Hateful 8. Really good, but man it is dark. I’ve seen a lot of old westerns, but this movie messed me up. XD 

I know that by reputation only; one of the greatest westerns apparently. I might give it a watch if you recommend it so highly. 

29 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I know that by reputation only; one of the greatest westerns apparently. I might give it a watch if you recommend it so highly. 

I had heard of it, but it somehow took me until tonight to finally give it a watch. Would definitely recommend it, but with the caveat that you need to be in the mood for something brutal.

I’ve been in that mood lately. XD Started a sort of "dark western" binge this week, with Unforgiven, Pale Rider, The Great Silence, and next will be Dark Valley. So far, Silence was easily the darkest of the lot, if that gives you any frame of reference.