Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

From George’s NotABlog:

((Some of you, I fear, may be having anxiety attacks just now, on the mistaken assumption that this strike affects WINDS OF WINTER.   You can relax.   The WGA is a union of film and television writers.  It has nothing to do with novels, short stories, or any other form of prose fiction, nor comic books and graphic novels, nor stage plays, nor the editing of collections and anthologies   I have on-going projects in all those areas, and that work continues unabated.  And WINDS continues to be priority number one)).

Funny thing is that if George is truly still working on Winds right now, it looks like this strike will only serve to remove distractions and make it come sooner. XD 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

From George’s NotABlog:

((Some of you, I fear, may be having anxiety attacks just now, on the mistaken assumption that this strike affects WINDS OF WINTER.   You can relax.   The WGA is a union of film and television writers.  It has nothing to do with novels, short stories, or any other form of prose fiction, nor comic books and graphic novels, nor stage plays, nor the editing of collections and anthologies   I have on-going projects in all those areas, and that work continues unabated.  And WINDS continues to be priority number one)).

Funny thing is that if George is truly still working on Winds right now, it looks like this strike will only serve to remove distractions and make it come sooner. XD 

That's good news...if he's being honest XD

10 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That's good news...if he's being honest XD

Would be hilarious if a strike that he actively supports ends up being the entire reason why Winds gets finished. He wants us to support a quick resolution but is inadvertently incentivizing us to want it to be drawn out. 

Maybe he’s a double agent. Pushing for a strike to jam up the movie and tv industries so they’re not able to compete with him when he releases his book. Clever George, that’s some Game of Thrones shit right there. XD 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

But yeah, seems like the Writing Strike has already caused a ton of upheaval; maybe it's not the writers, but the fact the Hollywood system was so borked, it caused everything to break down 

There are only a few things I particularly care about right now: Dune, Andor, Arcane, and House of the Dragon. And right now, we have confirmations that 3/4 of them are going to be unaffected for now, so I’m not really concerned, personally.

I’d love and prefer to see some actual competition emerge from all of this, but it won’t bother me one bit if Hollywood choose to roll over and die instead of just replacing these entitled clowns. Better talent will come along eventually.

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

There are only a few things I particularly care about right now: Dune, Andor, Arcane, and House of the Dragon. And right now, we have confirmations that 3/4 of them are going to be unaffected for now, so I’m not really concerned, personally.

I’d love and prefer to see some actual competition emerge from all of this, but it won’t bother me one bit if Hollywood choose to roll over and die instead of just replacing these entitled clowns. Better talent will come along eventually.

let-them-fight.gif

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

let-them-fight.gif

Exactly. XD It’s not like these are truck drivers or coal miners. The world will survive Hollywood’s infighting.

I know one thing, if I was a foreign executive, I’d be taking advantage of this. Asian studios have been growing in popularity like crazy in the West lately, so there is a big opportunity to capitalize on that didn’t exist during the last strike back in 2008.

I bet you anything we’ll see that escalate even faster now. Big streaming services will take on more contracts with Indian, Japanese, and Korean studios to fill the gap. And I expect the deals will be pretty sweet now that the demand has skyrocketed.

This is how the weebs will win. :(

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Exactly. XD It’s not like these are truck drivers or coal miners. The world will survive Hollywood’s infighting.

I know one thing, if I was a foreign executive, I’d be taking advantage of this. Asian studios have been growing in popularity like crazy in the West lately, so there is a big opportunity to capitalize on that didn’t exist during the last strike back in 2008.

I bet you anything we’ll see that escalate even faster now. Big streaming services will take on more contracts with Indian, Japanese, and Korean studios to fill the gap. And I expect the deals will be pretty sweet now that the demand has skyrocketed.

They've won already; look at the game industry, and the fact all my book stores biggest sections are manga, and always at the front of the store on display XD

I think though, Live Action asian cinema is going to the big winner; Netflix already did it before the strike happened XD

13 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

They've won already; look at the game industry, and the fact all my book stores biggest sections are manga, and always at the front of the store on display XD

I think though, Live Action asian cinema is going to the big winner; Netflix already did it before the strike happened XD

While they’re dominating animation and doing very well in gaming, Hollywood still has the biggest hold on live action TV and movies in the West by far. But if the studios refuse to do anything about this strike, then they could easily lose a lot of ground to the rising Asian competition. Rolling over and halting everything is the best way to open yourself up to being replaced.

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

I luvz me some Korean flicks

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Netflix?

Nah Shudder owns the rights. 

I remember my favorite moment in that was the father realizing his company's research division was the cause of the outbreak, and that hilariously dumb comment on how it was supposed to spearhead its quarterly growth XD

• Haha 2

@BigBossBalrog

Chapter 7 was pretty dang tough! Between the catapult barrage, the garrador, and the freaking hoards at the end, it was by far the most challenging chapter in the game so far. I wish I could say it was all great, but to be honest that last part outstayed its welcome. I think it would’ve been better if it had been slightly shorter. Level felt like it would never end! XD 

I did love the garrador fight, though. I pretty well knew what to expect thanks to the promo clip, but the situation was still pretty tense. Probably the scariest "horror moment" since the very beginning in the cabin. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog

Chapter 7 was pretty dang tough! Between the catapult barrage, the garrador, and the freaking hoards at the end, it was by far the most challenging chapter in the game so far. I wish I could say it was all great, but to be honest that last part outstayed its welcome. I think it would’ve been better if it had been slightly shorter. Level felt like it would never end! XD 

I did love the garrador fight, though. I pretty well knew what to expect thanks to the promo clip, but the situation was still pretty tense. Probably the scariest "horror moment" since the very beginning in the cabin. 

I kinda of love how they added the buildup in the dungeon, and all the little hints your about to stumble onto something XD Very moody 

• Like 1