Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oh yeah, it was fun. Not as tough as I expected, but I was probably just well practiced being fresh off of RE 2&3.

Been pretty efficient with my resources so far. I got the starting pistol fully upgraded except for the laser (working on that), and it’s pretty well carried me all the way to the church without much need to use anything else. I did buy the rifle but haven’t used it yet, and am tempted to start using way more grenades because they’re really starting to clog my inventory. 

You'll have a very pressing need for Flash Bangs soon XD The sniper's really good for thinning out groups before you have to face them. 

Just a note; all guns in the game are not straight upgrades, they have pros and cons and can be made viable with upgrades. Once I find the Red 9 I don't use any other pistol XD

The first shotgun is really good too. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Have you been using the melee and knife? Saves a ton of resources and the kick is damn powerful. 

I use the kick all the time. Pistol > headshot > kick is my go-to tactic for dealing with regular enemies.

I’m a lot more conservative with the knife. Its durability is so bad that I try to only get it out when I need to.

Finally got the laser sight so my pistol is fully upgraded. That thing is crazy useful. No more five second waits for my reticle to shrink and give the extra damage and crit chance. 

29 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I use the kick all the time. Pistol > headshot > kick is my go-to tactic for dealing with regular enemies.

I’m a lot more conservative with the knife. Its durability is so bad that I try to only get it out when I need to.

Finally got the laser sight so my pistol is fully upgraded. That thing is crazy useful. No more five second waits for my reticle to shrink and give the extra damage and crit chance. 

It's worth it to invest in it with the merchant: saved my ass in hard-core and saved me a ton of rounds. 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's worth it to invest in it with the merchant: saved my ass in hard-core and saved me a ton of rounds. 

I did upgrade its durability once. But most of my focus so far has been on turning my pistol into a nice, well-rounded little powerhouse.

Thinking about getting the TMP since it was one of the best weapons in the original on top of just being a cool little gun, but I’m worried about ammo consumption. I haven’t had any resource issues so far, but I imagine the boss enemies will put some strain on that.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I did upgrade its durability once. But most of my focus so far has been on turning my pistol into a nice, well-rounded little powerhouse.

Thinking about getting the TMP since it was one of the best weapons in the original on top of just being a cool little gun, but I’m worried about ammo consumption. I haven’t had any resource issues so far, but I imagine the boss enemies will put some strain on that.

They nerfed it a bit; it's still decent for crowd control but it's way more inaccurate and they added a better machine gun in the second half. You can still grab it.

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

They nerfed it a bit; it's still decent for crowd control but it's way more inaccurate and they added a better machine gun in the second half. You can still grab it.

I may. 

Just killed the Del Lago. Boss fight didn’t blow me away or anything but I didn’t hate it either, which makes it a step up from the original. XD 

24 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I may. 

Just killed the Del Lago. Boss fight didn’t blow me away or anything but I didn’t hate it either, which makes it a step up from the original. XD 

It's a set piece boss; cool for what it is XD The next section is a small open world-esque design with lots of backtracking and folk horror, EXPLORE XD

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog I can already tell this game is going to be really high up there for me. The original was already great, and this just improves on it in so many ways. Can see myself replaying it a lot.

Leon is just amazing to control, and the game world and systems around it are legit masterfully crafted XD

The game has a ton of unlockable (there's like a hundred accessors, costumes, guns, New Game Plus, and a super hard remix of the levels and difficulty) and Mercenaries to play through after you beat it, so yeah the game was built for replayability in mind, which is icing onto the cake XD

That fucking Oferi mage has got to be the most unbalanced assclown I've fought thus far.

He hard counters the anti magic bomb by spamming magic and deflecting it back at me, damages me for trying to attack, constantly teleports away and spams magic.

Hence forward I'll do everything in my power to destroy this fucker's kingdom, I ain't stopping at just the prince XD

• Haha 1

I want to know how, and there is no exaggeration, zero frame instant attacks that you cannot dodge or predict got through quality control? I'm all for difficulty, but not when an enemy has attacks that are unavoidable, with no windup, that come out instantly. This last death was unavoidable, plain and simple. I'm done for now, this mage has ruined the dlc for me, and it barely begun.

4 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

That fucking Oferi mage has got to be the most unbalanced assclown I've fought thus far.

He hard counters the anti magic bomb by spamming magic and deflecting it back at me, damages me for trying to attack, constantly teleports away and spams magic.

Hence forward I'll do everything in my power to destroy this fucker's kingdom, I ain't stopping at just the prince XD

I actually kinda like that fight, but it is busted. Hardest in the game and I hated it too on my first playthrough. But don’t let it discourage you. The rest of the DLC is really good. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I actually kinda like that fight, but it is busted. Hardest in the game and I hated it too on my first playthrough. But don’t let it discourage you. The rest of the DLC is really good. 

There was a few attempts I had him within one or two hits and he'd blast my ass so hard Geralt would wake up in cyberpunk.

• Haha 1

@BigBossBalrog RE4 Remake

The house siege at the end of Chapter 5 was so intense! Easily one of my favorite set pieces so far. Even though it chewed up my resources, the enemies were dropping so much that I somehow ended up with more than when I started. :lol: To be honest, I quite liked everything from the moment I saved Ashley onward. She already feels like a big step up from the original. Voice acting is on point and she feels a lot less like a cartoon character than before. Her gameplay is fine and doesn’t really bother me at all. Protecting her adds an extra level of danger and difficulty, which doesn’t hurt at all, and I really like the way she and Leon interact.

Oh yeah, Chapter 4 was one of my favorites so far. Really cool how they used the boat to suddenly connect so many locations we’d been to before and turned them into one big open world segment. And El Gigante was a solid boss fight, made all the more awesome by the dog showing up to help. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog RE4 Remake

Hide contents

The house siege at the end of Chapter 5 was so intense! Easily one of my favorite set pieces so far. Even though it chewed up my resources, the enemies were dropping so much that I somehow ended up with more than when I started. :lol: To be honest, I quite liked everything from the moment I saved Ashley onward. She already feels like a big step up from the original. Voice acting is on point and she feels a lot less like a cartoon character than before. Her gameplay is fine and doesn’t really bother me at all. Protecting her adds an extra level of danger and difficulty, which doesn’t hurt at all, and I really like the way she and Leon interact.

Oh yeah, Chapter 4 was one of my favorites so far. Really cool how they used the boat to suddenly connect so many locations we’d been to before and turned them into one big open world segment. And El Gigante was a solid boss fight, made all the more awesome by the dog showing up to help. 

The whole sequence where you find the missing hikers was really unsettling and creepy; Los Plagas is far more scary as a cult, and there's alot more notes and background details they added for the Remake. Can't wait to see how you like the Castle 

XD It's very overwhelming, but Luis does alot to make it more manageable 

As good as Village is, it really seems like it was a warmup (a very fun and flavorful one) for this one; there's a ton of similarities  

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 7:04 PM, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

The whole sequence where you find the missing hikers was really unsettling and creepy; Los Plagas is far more scary as a cult, and there's alot more notes and background details they added for the Remake. Can't wait to see how you like the Castle 

XD It's very overwhelming, but Luis does alot to make it more manageable 

As good as Village is, it really seems like it was a warmup (a very fun and flavorful one) for this one; there's a ton of similarities  

That part had me tensed up waiting for a jump scare from the tied-up hiker, but nope, no action at all. Just creepy storytelling. Chapter 4 had a lot of that. Least action-heavy section of the game by far, but still a lot of fun.

I’m definitely digging how significantly the religious side of the Los Plagas have been played up. Story-wise, that might be the biggest improvement over the original thus far.

Made it to the castle. I liked the Mendez boss fight a lot. Easily the best so far. Though I never learned how to consistently dodge his attack where he throws two flaming planks back to back. Second one usually got me.

As for the Village comparison, while it’s obvious that they were trying to copy RE4 with that game, I’d say that RE4 did it significantly better on every front. Leon handles so much less clunkily than Ethan, and is way more fun as a character. The ganados are better enemies than the Moldy werewolf stuff, and the worldbuilding around them is much more coherent. I know this will sound funny to say about a RE game, but Village was downright convoluted. I’ll probably replay this game many times before I’d go back to 8. 

Only thing I can say that I’ve actively disliked so far is the shooting range. It wouldn’t bother me if it wasn’t for the fact that the rewards seem to be crazy good but are completely randomized and locked behind a very unfun, if not downright unfair, mini game.

52 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Reveal hidden contents

That part had me tended up waiting for a jump scare from the tied-up hiker, but nope, no action at all. Just creepy storytelling. Chapter 4 had a lot of that. Least action-heavy section of the game by far, but still a lot of fun.

I’m definitely digging how significantly the religious side of the Los Plagas have been played up. Story-wise, that might be the biggest improvement over the original thus far.

Made it to the castle. I liked the Mendez boss fight, though I never learned how to consistently dodge his attack where he throws two flaming planks back to back. Second one usually got me.

As for the Village comparison, while it’s obvious that they were trying to copy RE4 with that game, I’d say that RE4 did it significantly better on every front. Leon handles so much less clunkily than Ethan, and is way more fun as a character. The ganados are better enemies than the Moldy werewolf stuff, and the worldbuilding around them is much more coherent. I know this will sound funny to say about a RE game, but Village was downright convoluted. I’ll probably replay this game many times before I’d go back to 8. 

Only thing I can say that I’ve actively disliked so far is the shooting range. It wouldn’t bother me if it wasn’t for the fact that the rewards seem to be crazy good but are completely randomized and locked behind a very unfun, if not downright unfair, mini game.

From a gameplay perspective the Ganadoes are certainly more fun to fight; but I do love the flavor of the Lycans a little bit more; they have the trappings of a Werewolf, but with their gothic ruins, their savage "medieval" aesthetic, I think they were intentional made to resemble the Barbarians who sacked Rome during the late antiquity. 

rev-lycan-territory.jpg

The Gandos on the other hand have that "backwoods" cult aesthetic, but with the fears and horror tropes associated with Rural European towns XD It certainly makes more sense, and it's cool in it's own right, but I always got a kind of twisted dark fairy tale vibe for Village (blending it with gothic horror). 

As for Village's gameplay; I think it's inherent in the fact Ethan is just so schumuk, while Leon served in SOCOM that they play night and day differently :rofl: I thought the gunplay in Village was quite good, and it's hard to compared that aspect when there combat loop is quite different, but yeah, RE4 is much more fun. 

It took my awhile to get used to the shooting range too, but it's REALLY good practice when you get new weapons, because you get unlimited ammo.   

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The Gandos on the other hand have that "backwoods" cult aesthetic, but with the fears and horror tropes associated with Rural European towns XD It certainly makes more sense, and it's cool in it's own right, but I always got a kind of twisted dark fairy tale vibe for Village (blending it with gothic horror). 

Cultures aside, I just think the plagas parasite is a much cooler and scarier enemy than the mold. The idea of these "things" keeping you alive while growing inside you, working their way into your nervous system, replacing the functions of your body systems, and finally bursting free when you’re no longer useful. It’s so disgusting and terrifying. It’s like The Thing mixed with Alien.

• Like 3