Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

On 5/2/2023 at 9:07 PM, The Good Doctor said:

I’ll meet you in the middle and ask again in two days. 

Let it never be said that I ain’t a man of my word. Read posts. You too @TheCzarsHussar and @ColonelKillaBee !

I mean, I don’t care. Obviously. Psssht! Means nothing to me. But Centurion? You guys will really hurt his feelings! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

ITS ALREADY HAPPENING :rofl:

Of course Amazon would be the ones to put the boot on the strikers. :rofl: Shame it’s to preserve one of the worst shows ever made, but hell, I’d push forward without my writers too if they gave me a season 1 as abysmally bad as the middle school fanfic tier trash that we got.

Going forward without that writing team, and those showrunners can almost only lead to an improvement. XD 

44 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Looks actually a huge step up from Rebirth

I’ve scraped things off of my boot that were a step up from Afterbirth. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Looks actually a huge step up from Rebirth; the way there describing it seems like an open-sandbox immersive sim where you put in and expected to survive however you want. 

Looking pretty interesting. Kind of skipped out on rebirth all together myself but this sounds good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

You did yourself a huge favor. 

I even have it free from Epic and yeah just no thanks :) Hell I'm still sad I haven't been able to finish the first "two" truly because they make me motion sick for some reason lol. Mirrior's edge and shit like that is fun though. I don't get it. 

2 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

I even have it free from Epic and yeah just no thanks :) Hell I'm still sad I haven't been able to finish the first "two" truly because they make me motion sick for some reason lol. Mirrior's edge and shit like that is fun though. I don't get it. 

I’ve got a friend who can’t play Outer Worlds for the same reason. It’s weird. 

But yeah, the first one is great. Second is eh, not a terrible game but a poor followup to the first. Rebirth is legitimately one of the worst games I’ve ever played. 

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ve got a friend who can’t play Outer Worlds for the same reason. It’s weird. 

But yeah, the first one is great. Second is eh, not a terrible game but a poor followup to the first. Rebirth is legitimately one of the worst games I’ve ever played. 

Damn, that's a sad. Feel for your friend. I had heard Rebirth was bad but didn't know it was that bad. The hell did they do?

Just now, Elden Clown said:

Damn, that's a sad. Feel for your friend. I had heard Rebirth was bad but didn't know it was that bad. The hell did they do?

I’ve gotta drive right now but I’ll give my thoughts later if @BigBossBalrog doesn’t beat me to it. Think he hated it too for the same reasons. 

The devs created "fear flashes" which is literally the dumbest and most aggravating mechanic I have ever experienced in a horror game. And it is there 100% of the time from beginning to end. 

Why I'm not as critical on the actor this time around? Well he still looks like an absolute dweeb, unless he bulks a little or changes that haircut, that ain't changing.

But from the trailer, at least he's starting to fit into the role better. I don't know if it's because the actor's more experienced with the character now, or that he's allowed to be less awkward as the character's progressed beyond that.

Say what you will about 80's Paul, I think he nailed it. It's kinda like my feelings on Patt Garrett and Billy the Kid's Billy, way too old for the part but played it incredibly well. Hell everybody but Bob Dylan's acting was amazing in that movie XD

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ve gotta drive right now but I’ll give my thoughts later if @BigBossBalrog doesn’t beat me to it. Think he hated it too for the same reasons. 

The devs created "fear flashes" which is literally the dumbest and most aggravating mechanic I have ever experienced in a horror game. And it is there 100% of the time from beginning to end. 

It's also one of the most unscarier mechanics; it usually manifested as strobe lights. It was supposed to stimulate someone's reaction to horrible events; but all it was, was super cheap jumpscares every couple of minutes XD 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

So yeah, there is a mechanic where any time you spend in shadows without a light source (which is most of the time, being a horror game), an invisible status effect builds up that makes your screen spaz out and, when it procs, a "vewy vewy scawy" evil face jump scares you with an obnoxiously loud sound effect and bright stroby lights. Imagine you are playing a game, any game, with your friend beside you, and every few minutes he just randomly screams in your ear for no discernible reason while shining an LED flashlight in your eyes. That’s basically the same experience.

It is very predictable, not scary at all, and there is no variation to it. If you are good at horror games and thus know how to play one efficiently (saving your resources and whatnot, including matches for light), this will probably occur hundreds of times throughout your playthrough. And it gets old after the second time.

When called out for making a gameplay mechanic out of the cheapest jump scare ever, the devs amusingly responded that it is not, in fact, a jump scare (despite clearly being a jump scare), but rather a "fear flash". XD 

Aside from that, there are only like two or three types of enemies, all of which suck, the puzzles are piss easy, and the main protagonist never. shuts. up!

Yeah, I hate this game. If you value your time or sanity, don’t play it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

So yeah, there is a mechanic where any time you spend in shadows without a light source (which is most of the time, being a horror game), an invisible status effect builds up that makes your screen spaz out and, when it procs, a "vewy vewy scawy" evil face jump scares you with an obnoxiously loud sound effect and bright stroby lights. Imagine you are playing a game, any game, with your friend beside you, and every few minutes he just randomly screams in your ear for no discernible reason while shining an LED flashlight in your eyes. That’s basically the same experience.

It is very predictable, not scary at all, and there is no variation to it. If you are good at horror games and thus know how to play one efficiently (saving your resources and whatnot, including matches for light), this will probably occur hundreds of times throughout your playthrough. And it gets old after the second time.

When called out for making a gameplay mechanic out of the cheapest jump scare ever, the devs amusingly responded that it is not, in fact, a jump scare (despite clearly being a jump scare), but rather a "fear flash". XD 

Aside from that, there are only like two or three types of enemies, all of which suck, the puzzles are piss easy, and the main protagonist never. shuts. up!

Yeah, I hate this game. If you value your time or sanity, don’t play it.

Responding to both you and Balrog here. Yeah that sounds fucking horrid and those enemies make the Gollum out of the new Gollum game look S tier. Sadge on the easy puzzles, played A LOT of puzzle games growing up and the only one to stump me so far is The Witness (great game if you like puzzles) so that'd be no fun and honestly protagonist's that never shut up can kill a game for me. Probably one of the few people on this planet that will say I hope I never have to hear, see or talk with fucking handsome jack again lol.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

Probably one of the few people on this planet that will say I hope I never have to hear, see or talk with fucking handsome jack again lol.

You’re not alone. I have a friend from my hometown who hates him. 

Not me, I think Jack is great. :lol: Best character in Borderlands besides maybe Rhys and Fiona.