Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #38

2 minutes ago, Elden Clown said:

Gonna put it in spoilers just to keep it short but looked it up. Kind of interesting. 

Reveal hidden contents

During the Barton the Fink quest, Barton Thorn instructs the player to investigate an overlook south of Goodsprings. There is a dead Prospector up there named Johnny, wearing glasses, with a glass pitcher next to him, and five aces on the table. On the cliff are four balls in a line. (Without Wild Wasteland, a generic dead prospector will be at the site instead of Johnny.)

This is a reference to the failed game project Zybourne Clock, more specifically to one of its characters, "Johnny Five-Aces," as well as a metaphorical explanation of time-travel involving four balls placed on the edge of a cliff. Initially announced on the Something Awful forums, this project featured questionable artwork and somewhat convoluted plot material, and eventually became a forum inside joke.

The line formed by the 4 red balls besides Johnny is actually a sign pointing the exact direction of the deathtrap fridge (another Wild Wasteland scene) from there. Sometimes, Johnny may not be present, in which case he likely fell off the cliff and may be found below it. 

Definitely never would’ve got that. XD 

31 minutes ago, Celan said:

One of the few upcoming movies I’m actually looking forward to. It’s encouraging to read how much this project means to the director. Sounds like more of a passion project for him than something to make a quick buck on.

Christopher Walken As Emperor Shaddam could either be incredible or the most unintentionally hilarious thing to come out of Hollywood this year. XD And it’s good to see Feyd-Rautha will be in the movies after all. Still, I’m most excited for more of Skarsgård as Baron Harkonnen. And I really hope this movie handles Paul’s development well; he should practically be a different character in the third act than he was in the first.

On a related note, I flew to Florida and back last week and had some free time on the planes. Ended up rereading some chapters from the first Dune book. I’m still grateful to you for being one of the people who talked me into picking it up. It’s become one of my all-time favorites.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

One of the few upcoming movies I’m actually looking forward to. It’s encouraging to read how much this project means to the director. Sounds like more of a passion project for him than something to make a quick buck on.

Christopher Walken As Emperor Shaddam could either be incredible or the most unintentionally hilarious thing to come out of Hollywood this year. XD And it’s good to see Feyd-Rautha will be in the movies after all. Still, I’m most excited for more of Skarsgård as Baron Harkonnen. And I really hope this movie handles Paul’s development well; he should practically be a different character in the third act than he was in the first.

On a related note, I flew to Florida and back last week and had some free time on the planes. Ended up rereading some chapters from the first Dune book. I’m still grateful to you for being one of the people who talked me into picking it up. It’s become one of my all-time favorites.

While I enjoyed the newer Dune movie, I really wasn't into the costume design and some of the actors. Paul and Lady Jessica The-Ever-Crying were low points.

But that said, I'm looking forward to part 2, I just hope Lady Jessica won't cry the whole movie :rofl:

3 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

While I enjoyed the newer Dune movie, I really wasn't into the costume design and some of the actors. Paul and Lady Jessica The-Ever-Crying were low points.

But that said, I'm looking forward to part 2, I just hope Lady Jessica won't cry the whole movie :rofl:

I liked Jessica well enough, particularly towards the end when things got rough and her more ruthless side came out. The scene in the ‘thopter where she didn’t hesitate to make those guys kill each other and themselves was chilling.

Paul… yeah. I’m not sure about this actor’s ability to play him as an adult Fremen war leader. But I’ll happily give him a chance to prove me wrong.

Really curious how they’ll handle Alia. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Stellan Skarsgård, he gave a hell of a performance in the Star Wars series, "Andor".

@Celan I know you don’t care much for Star Wars (I don’t either anymore), but I think you would actually like this show quite a bit. There was one character in particular who made me think of you at times, just going off what you’ve shared about some of your beliefs.

If you ever get around to watching it, I reckon you’ll be as surprised as I was by some of the show’s commentaries on systematic tyranny, because not only was it handled way more maturely than I ever would’ve expected from Star Wars, let alone Disney, but also because it drops some truth bombs that really don’t align well with the positions these corporate products normally hold to.

It starts out a little slow, but the setups in the first couple episodes are very deliberate. It’s a very rare series in recent years that I would highly recommend.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

the rats fleeing out XD 

And they’ve got nowhere to go either. Most remaining "Game journalism" companies are barely doing any better. They’re looking for ways to trim their own fat, not hire new losers to create more.

Remember what they used to tell people before it got turned around on them? Looks like they’d better "learn to code". XD 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And they’ve got nowhere to go either. Most remaining "Game journalism" companies are barely doing any better. They’re looking for ways to trim their own fat, not hire new losers to create more.

Remember what they used to tell people before it got turned around on them? Looks like they’d better "learn to code". XD 

I'll admit; I think i'll miss alot of the really insane shit (like that one time Polygon claimed that cute little event in Shadow of Mordor where you "sneak upon your wife" to give her flowers was akin to sexual assault XD) cause it was hilarious to laugh at, but 99 percent of the shit these places have been spewing is just bargain bin trash clickbait that usually them copying and pasting a reddit post.

They deserve it for not putting a lick of effort into anything anymore. 

6 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Speaking of Stellan Skarsgård, he gave a hell of a performance in the Star Wars series, "Andor".

@Celan I know you don’t care much for Star Wars (I don’t either anymore), but I think you would actually like this show quite a bit. There was one character in particular who made me think of you at times, just going off what you’ve shared about some of your beliefs.

If you ever get around to watching it, I reckon you’ll be as surprised as I was by some of the show’s commentaries on systematic tyranny, because not only was it handled way more maturely than I ever would’ve expected from Star Wars, let alone Disney, but also because it drops some truth bombs that really don’t align well with the positions these corporate products normally hold to.

It starts out a little slow, but the setups in the first couple episodes are very deliberate. It’s a very rare series in recent years that I would highly recommend.

I'd check it out, but I don't have Disney+. If I get a chance I'll take a look.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

9 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

She cried when she thought her son was probably dying because of her and when her husband died...?

The costume design is 100% improvement over previous iterations, IMO. Not that that's hard. I really love Denis Villeneuve's visual style, and his analog approach to effects. He's only going to get better as he's now more used to filming in the desert. The fact that the preview says they were rushing to get scenes in to the natural twilight hour in the desert is typical of his style.

• Like 1

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

2 hours ago, Celan said:

I'd check it out, but I don't have Disney+. If I get a chance I'll take a look.

I normally don’t either. Was talked into forking over the $8 for this show. Honestly, at less than a dollar per episode, I’d call it a bargain.

Now that I’ve seen it though, I’m kinda annoyed that Disney doesn’t sell their shows on blueray or digital. This is one that I’d really like to own and be able to revisit at any time without renewing a subscription. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I normally don’t either. Was talked into forking over the $8 for this show. Honestly, at less than a dollar per episode, I’d call it a bargain.

Now that I’ve seen it though, I’m kinda annoyed that Disney doesn’t sell their shows on blueray or digital. This is one that I’d really like to own and be able to revisit at any time without renewing a subscription. 

Bro I told you Andor was fucking good. I just really fucking hope they don’t drop the ball on this next season

• Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

3 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

That'd go against there  live service subscription model XD But it does suck physical media is taking a hit. I don't think Netflix releases its stuff on blue ray either. 

56 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Bro I told you Andor was fucking good. I just really fucking hope they don’t drop the ball on this next season

You did, and you were definitely right. I slept on the show when it came out because I was so checked out of Star Wars and didn’t want to give Disney any money. But credit where it’s due, the team who made this are many cuts above the usual cloth. It’s not just good compared to the rest of Star Wars. Is just damn good tv in its own right.

Season 1 stands well on its own, but if they can stick the landing with season 2 or 3, then this will probably go down as one of my favorite shows in general.

37 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That'd go against there  live service subscription model XD But it does suck physical media is taking a hit. I don't think Netflix releases its stuff on blue ray either. 

That model is costing them many millions of dollars and doing more harm than good. I’m sure they’ll start selling this stuff eventually when they need the money and decide to double dip.