Soulsborne Thread #11

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Just saw this last night, his videos are incredible

If you haven’t been through his backlog, I’d definitely reccomend going back through some of the older Elden Ring ones. He did some tremendous work mapping out old civilizations based on architecture and such, and unlike basically every other "theory" channel I’ve seen, his stuff is almost always new, original, and well-researched. 

I haven’t watched in about a year, because my interest in ER has been kinda low lately, but yeah, but it’s no fault of his.

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I haven’t watched in about a year, because my interest in ER has been kinda low lately, but yeah, but it’s no fault of his.

I've been forcing myself to not play any Soul games because of the hints that Shadows is going to be unveiled at the Game Awards; which means I'll be able to go in fresh XD

The more I think about the lord secrets this guy revealed, what the tree truly is, does, and what it will do if you mend the ring and become lord, the more I realize just how selfish that Ranni ending is. And now I think there’s a theory out there people haven’t considered.

Melina and Ranni are somehow linked, we all know this. They also mirror however the duality of Radagon and Marika, meaning one opposes the golden order and one does not, whereas with ranni and melina, one opposes the world itself and it’s natural order and more importantly her role in continuing it, Ranni, while melina is the exact opposite.

Which is odd when you consider that Marika is the one who shattered it, except that what the guy says about trees needing in some forests to be burned in order to spread their seed and Melina’s purpose of burning the tree, and also that the tree has been burned before makes total sense.

Ironically Ranni opposes the golden order but is the same as the golden order. She is just like her father. Because the golden order actually goes against the true natural order. The tree gives people rebirth but the tree itself also must be reborn via burning. A new order and regime must be. Which the golden order directly opposes.

Meanwhile Marika imo understands this, or, the greater will does and commands her to go about this change to avoid stagnancy, and thus Melina is set upon her task. That she chooses you means Marika and the greater will also does too and you’re supposed to oppose the golden order not just to be elden lord but to prevent stagnancy (a common theme see the scarlet rot and the blind swordsman) and to continue the natural order of the world. Change.

That there were previous elden lords from other civilizations at least once prior I think supports this. The great elden lord dragon Placidusax, and the civilization the beast men had, that they are now shadows of the gods of the new regime… that a meteor supposedly “randomly” hits the city and ends their order. I think this shows the greater will understands the need for death and rebirth of some sort, to prevent stagnancy.

This is the destiny Ranni is truly fighting against, the goal to create change at a rate of their own choosing uncontrolled by a greater will. Which is fine and dandy but that the greater will is wise enough to know that even order needs change imo shows they’re worthy of following and their goal fulfilling.

Matter of opinion of course but I’m thoroughly convinced of one thing at least, that staying the course as @The Good Doctor said and repairing the elden ring and erdtree and becoming elden lord this time around really is the best ending for you and everyone, and will not lead to stagnancy the same way it did in dark souls.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

And that it’s also the best ending if you want to know what Melina would support the most.

I have no real idea of ranni and Melina’s relationship, maybe originally they both were the gloam eyed queen or ranni’s mentor, etc etc but ranni’s thing is definitely not the same goal sought by Melina having digested it all fully.

Ive watched every video twice now lol and that’s my final conclusion.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

*Neil Druckman was the person who nominated Miyazaki for the Time's 100 list* 

*Not only that, he constantly defended Elden Ring from attacks by people upset it was nominated for the Best Narrative Award* 

*Is always talking humbly about wanting to draw elements or even make his own Souls style game* 

Urgh, I've never felt more conflicted by this information XD

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

*Is always talking humbly about wanting to draw elements or even make his own Souls style game* 

Urgh, I've never felt more conflicted by this information XD

Meh. Even a pretentious idiot is capable of recognizing something is good. Doesn’t change my opinion of him. Probably just likes how bleak it is. XD 

Also don’t believe for a second that he actually wants to make or take inspiration from a Souls game. His entire design philosophy is the polar opposite of Miyazaki’s. Miyazaki stubbornly refuses to put an easy mode in his games, whereas Neil literally put an accessibility mode in TLoU2 where enemies cannot see or hear you, so even retards and journalists don’t feel excluded from experiencing the pain of that awful ending. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Meh. Even a pretentious idiot is capable of recognizing something is good. Doesn’t change my opinion of him. Probably just likes how bleak it is. XD 

Also don’t believe for a second that he actually wants to make or take inspiration from a Souls game. His entire design philosophy is the polar opposite of Miyazaki’s. Miyazaki stubbornly refuses to put an easy mode in his games, whereas Neil literally put an accessibility mode in TLoU2 where enemies cannot see or hear you, so even retards and journalists don’t feel excluded from experiencing the pain of that awful ending. 

Maybe he'll become a dev guru and seek spiritual enlightment at a Buddhist temple and see the folly of his way XD

This is really cool; Lokey (for good or ill) has become a fixture in the lore community, and I'm liking there Elden Ring contributions (they really switched over from covering Bloodborne) 

This one draws alot of connection to the Kaiden and the Night Calvary (and offers the possibility the NC are infact Kaiden Tribesmen)

https://lokeysouls.com/2023/07/28/kaiden/

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Oh and something fucking weird; Im seeing ads on several big lore channels now, it's fucking surreal to see them doing an introduction only to go onto a two minute tangent about a food subscription service with their lore voices XD

Have you seen how much money these companies offer for short ad readings? I’m not a fan either, but damn, I can understand the temptation to do it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Have you seen how much money these companies offer for short ad readings? I’m not a fan either, but damn, I can understand the temptation to do it. 

I'm not really blaming them; I find it kind of hilarious to be honest XD

I'm more annoyed with the fact I think it's a huge sign of how mainstream these games are getting; could you imagine big company's approaching Souls Lore Youtubers to advertise there products directly five years ago XD

• Like 1

Though it's kind of thankfully moot; I'd be worried quite a bit more if From hadn't decided to make a super niche, brutally difficult mech game after one of the best selling games of the last decade XD But I think as long as Miyazaki and Tamura are in charge, we don't have to worry about them lessening the hardcore nature of their titles. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

But I think as long as Miyazaki and Tamura are in charge, we don't have to worry about them lessening the hardcore nature of their titles. 

Heck, I find Sekiro to be the hardest game they’ve made so far and haven’t even beat it yet, but I’d be thrilled if they do more stuff like that. 

• Like 1