Soulsborne Thread #11

27 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Totally missed the dragonkin soldier boss and that lightning ice spell is so op for pve

Yeah, he was one of the most popular visits for griefer types back in the early days after launch. A half-decent player can easily reach and kill most of his instances at a low level, then use his stuff in invasions to absolutely clobber unleveled newbies. XD 

Not that I’d know from experience or anything…

I was thinking about design differences between Bethesda and FROMSOFT. It's a common topic; but I think I got an example that illustrates it perfectly. XD

Ghost. 

dezpgtu-d916a246-7a2a-4ec9-b657-725a206fe384.thumb.png.9524741f166f86073742b2bc09423c5f.png

In Skyrim Ghosts can be found in dungeons. They are more of an effect/reskin, then a unique enemy. A "ghostly" filter is applied to an NPC's model; and they get unique "SPOOKY barks and combat voices. That's a about it; they fight with the same animations as any NPC, and are pretty much bandits in functionality. Silver swords do a small bonus in terms of damage but they can be killed by anything. 

londo_ghost_concept_art_header_full.thumb.jpg.56620f07ef3279b1ec060bbfdb68c196.jpg

Ghosts in Dark Souls are an entirely different beast. They can only found haunting the Dead City of New Londo, and there backstory, and design are interwoven into their lore; they are the victims of people drowned in the attempt to seal away the Dark Wraiths. They can glide ethereally through the air, can go through all obstacles including walls to reach you (leading to some "fun" moments), and most importantly, you cannot damage them. Your attacks go right through them, the only way is to curse yourself (whether you use a transient curse or get a Basilisk to do it for you); for "The only way to fight back against ghosts, who are cursed beings, is to become cursed oneself." The only exception to this is Cursed Weapons - like the blade of Sir Artorias. 

I honestly think it's a perfect example of creating enemy; making it unique from a visual and gameplay perspective, and tying it all together to it's flavor text through said gameplay 

• Like 1

I dislike this topic and cringe every time 

it’s like talking about the difference in graphics between fallout new Vegas and metro. Or something 

it’s besides the point of why I like the two games. And disingenuous when discussing the flaws. For instance this, balrog you know damn well bethesda has cooler specters than that. A better comparison is like, Karstaag.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

As for the other...meh. They are in direct competition now that From is making open world RPG's.

I still like Skyrim but like I said before  I think it's a little bit overated. Alot of the design is inferior to what Beth did before. Let's be real to fucking make the game playable you need to spend six hours downloading mods. I couldnt even touch the vanilla game.

And I'd argue what we should be doing is going on the Bethesda forum and starting a poll-based boycott so Pete can see our complaints-

• Haha 1

First Todd came for the polls, and I did not speak out—
     Because I never voted.

Then Todd came for the forums, and I did not speak out—
     Because my RP was banned from them anyway.

Then Todd came for the Petes, and I did not speak out—
     Because screw that guy.

Then Todd came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

First Todd came for the polls, and I did not speak out—
     Because I never voted.

Then Todd came for the forums, and I did not speak out—
     Because my RP was banned from them anyway.

Then Todd came for the Petes, and I did not speak out—
     Because screw that guy.

Then Todd came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Good, but I prefer the Sonic Version

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Why I brought up wispmothers. ;) 

They have way cooler concepts tho

43 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s easy. Metro has way better graphics than New Vegas. XD 

and FromSoft has overall way less generic boss designs. Point is that’s not why you like the specific titles respectively by bethesda but they still do well alsi in those categories in their own right 

I was thinking about design differences between Bethesda and FROMSOFT. It's a common topic; but I think I got an example that illustrates it perfectly. 

Zombie. 

5175143-1532808577.jpg

In Skyrim zombies can be found in dungeons. They are more of an effect/reskin, then a unique enemy. A "blue-eyed" filter is applied to an NPC's model; and they get unique "SPOOKY moans and combat grunts. That's a about it; they fight with the same animations as any NPC, and are pretty much bandits in functionality. Silver swords do a small bonus in terms of damage but they can be killed by anything. 

Leonardo-Mona-Lisa.jpg

Zombies in Dark Souls are an entirely different beast. They can only found roaming the ashen wastes of a broken world, and there backstory, and design are interwoven into their lore; they are the remnants of humanity after taking in the Dark Soul. They can walk normally on the earth, can go anround all obstacles including walls to reach you (leading to some "fun" moments), and most importantly, you can damage them. Your attacks go right into them, the only way is to use one of the many means at your disposal (whether you use a greatsword, katana, or pyro spell); for "The only way to fight back against zombies, who are cursed beings, is to fight normally." The only exception to this is nothing - there is no exception.

I honestly think it's a perfect example of creating enemy; making it unique from a visual and gameplay perspective, and tying it all together to it's flavor text through said gameplay

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I was thinking about design differences between Bethesda and FROMSOFT. It's a common topic; but I think I got an example that illustrates it perfectly. 

Zombie. 

5175143-1532808577.jpg

In Skyrim zombies can be found in dungeons. They are more of an effect/reskin, then a unique enemy. A "blue-eyed" filter is applied to an NPC's model; and they get unique "SPOOKY moans and combat grunts. That's a about it; they fight with the same animations as any NPC, and are pretty much bandits in functionality. Silver swords do a small bonus in terms of damage but they can be killed by anything. 

Leonardo-Mona-Lisa.jpg

Zombies in Dark Souls are an entirely different beast. They can only found roaming the ashen wastes of a broken world, and there backstory, and design are interwoven into their lore; they are the remnants of humanity after taking in the Dark Soul. They can walk normally on the earth, can go anround all obstacles including walls to reach you (leading to some "fun" moments), and most importantly, you can damage them. Your attacks go right into them, the only way is to use one of the many means at your disposal (whether you use a greatsword, katana, or pyro spell is for you); for "The only way to fight back against zombies, who are cursed beings, is to fight normally." The only exception to this is nothing - there is no exception.

I honestly think it's a perfect example of creating enemy; making it unique from a visual and gameplay perspective, and tying it all together to it's flavor text through said gameplay

I know right? 

• Thanks 1

I was streaming for a lady friend while doing some invasions and lol she was like, “I blink and it’s over”

:rofl:

The blender faith build with Ordovis Vortex is so strong in any iteration. Mine is built for trading blows so I can get my ash of war full charge out but even if I dont it still hits like a truck

i think the see my shield out and think oh this guy sucks lemme just use my katana bleed bullshit on em

And boom they’re dead that’s it, it’s over.

Im at soul level 155 too so I get strong opponents but it don’t matter lol the L2 is too stronk

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I also did a few fights in the colusseums, won 2/4, much different there. People there can actually pvp lol vs the dunces I invade

Did you encounter the minority of assholes that powerstance spears and lances? :P

Powestanced Spears are doable with perfect reaction rolling, but the gigatryhards with duel lances are unbeatable without equal cheese.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Did you encounter the minority of assholes that powerstance spears and lances? :P

Powestanced Spears are doable with perfect reaction rolling, but the gigatryhards with duel lances are unbeatable without equal cheese.

Yes I did xD and poke run away 

you’re 100 percent accurate on that, is so lame and boring