Soulsborne Thread #11

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I wouldn’t. It’s specifically designed to be hard for Souls players. Someone who hasn’t developed the same timing and habits might not be as easy to trap with them. The reasons why they struggle will be different.

Either way, a boss filtering out shitty players at the beginning of a game isn’t really great evidence of him being tougher than the big dog end game boss of a different one. Margit is mostly just hard for newbies who still suck at Elden Ring; Nameless is only not hard for people who are really good at S

It’s a perspective thing but to me if it’s designed to trip up souls players and those same souls players can handle other bosses easily then those bosses are weaker. The aI is exponentially better in elden ring. Is why I think if they did a 100 percent true crossover no scaling then elden ring bosses slap souls easily. They’re slower and don’t hit as often or as hard.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The aI is exponentially better in elden ring. Is why I think if they did a 100 percent true crossover no scaling then elden ring bosses slap souls easily. They’re slower and don’t hit as often or as hard.

Generally, I agree. It’s why we have to fish out absolute top dogs like Nameless to even have this conversation. XD And even then he doesn’t beat the top tiers.

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Well this discussions all over the place lol cause they’re scaling prior when I am not lol

Was the video we’ve been referencing scaling them? Because if so, I missed that. 

Kinda lame if so. What does does it prove by pitting Nameless against ER bosses if he doesn’t even have his own stats?

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Was the video we’ve been referencing scaling them? Because if so, I missed that. 

Kinda lame if so. What does does it prove by pitting Nameless against ER bosses if he doesn’t even have his own stats?

All of those vs mods videos scale even within elden ring for a good show. I don’t blame em but yea it’s not really good for a discussion like this

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That's the least questionable shit they've done XD

Garden of Eyes is a really controversial youtuber.  They do a lot of Souls clickbait, and they have there own mod (which is an asset flipped nightmare with no consistency) that they have paywalled behind a patreon  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

All of those vs mods scale even within elden ring for a good show. I don’t blame em but yea it’s not really good for a discussion like this

Gotcha.

In that case, yeah, it’s hard to say where he’d land if 1:1 ported over to ER with identical stats to before, since everything from health to damage to armor to poise works a little differently. Like damage numbers are way higher. 

So even though Nameless is way more likely to 1-shot the Ashen One than Morgott is to 1-shot the Tarnished, the numbers he’s working with are probably still lower, because everything is.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

After playing two hours of Sekiro, I’m pretty sure even Lady freaking Butterfly could take like 80% of bosses in Elden Ring and almost all of them in Souls. That game is another level. XD 

Remember that's the second  boss in the game. The second boss. You haven't seen anything, 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Remember that's the second  boss in the game. The second boss. You haven't seen anything, 

I know. XD That’s my point. I’m not saying it has challenged me as much as Malenia -definitely not- but for this to only be the beginning, Sekiro has gotta be the hardest From game overall. At least for me. Because that bitch kicked my ass better than anyone in the first 3/4 of Elden Ring. But damn it’s a really fun fight. :lol: 

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I am not hardcore enough for Sekiro lol I am casul

Really I’m just not as into the setting as I am elden ring tbh lol so didn’t feel a need to persevere 

I can get that. The first section is mainly just a dilapidated Sengoku battlefield (which I find cool but it's alot more mundane) but it gets crazier and jaw-dropping as the game progresses. truly knew how special the game was when I get to Senpou - a Buddhist temple in the mountains corrupted by defilement and centipedes. 

d2ba025c3eea370ca76a65efcee9bfd1.jpg

b7fmpv6en0w21.thumb.jpg.8a8cb4341068a8974d90c2e42ab4eacc.jpg

tumblr_pz0m5pZpa51tw2hyao3_540.gif

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

They go from beautiful to spine-chillingly terrifying, and there's an area especially that I feel is FROM's overall best in terms of both design and aesthetics at the very end.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I can get that. The first section is mainly just a dilapidated Sengoku battlefield (which I find cool but it's alot more mundane) but it gets crazier and jaw-dropping as the game progresses. truly knew how special the game was when I get to Senpou - a Buddhist temple in the mountains corrupted by defilement and centipedes. 

d2ba025c3eea370ca76a65efcee9bfd1.jpg

b7fmpv6en0w21.thumb.jpg.8a8cb4341068a8974d90c2e42ab4eacc.jpg

tumblr_pz0m5pZpa51tw2hyao3_540.gif

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

They go from beautiful to spine-chillingly terrifying, and there's an area especially that I feel is FROM's overall best in terms of both design and aesthetics at the very end.

It’s not that I don’t like the setting, it’s beautiful from what I’ve seen. It’s just not a place that captures my imagination as much, like for instance why I can’t really rp in the fallout setting but can all day in tes.

Theres attachment to the lands between for me, and my character. Actually now that I think about it that’s probably the biggest issue, that this is another character entirely and not my own. Doesn’t feel as personal or as my journey.

Is why I probably won’t be playing the Pinocchio game lol even tho that looks awesome af

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I am not hardcore enough for Sekiro lol I am casul

Really I’m just not as into the setting as I am elden ring tbh lol so didn’t feel a need to persevere 

Me neither. But I just respect the hell out of how ballsy Fromsoft were to experiment with a completely new combat system while knowing full well that the one from Souls is where the big money is. Result is some of the freshest gameplay I’ve experienced in third person, and a whole lot of fun.

But man do I suck at it. XD 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Me neither. But I just respect the hell out of how ballsy Fromsoft were to experiment with a completely new combat system while knowing full well that the one from Souls is where the big money is. Result is some of the freshest gameplay I’ve experienced in third person, and a whole lot of fun.

But man do I suck at it. XD 

And they got a huge chunk of money from it too; it must be a good feeling XD

• Like 1

Ditto for Armored Core, really. The fact that From can make unfathomable money by sticking to their main formula, but still go on to make risky stuff like Sekiro and Armored Core just makes it hard for me not to respect them as artists. It’s almost weird how little greed they put off for a studio their size. 

Not to mention, keeps them from getting stagnant. There’s a reason so many studios try to copy them. They are innovative risk takers when it comes to gameplay. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Ditto for Armored Core, really. The fact that From can make unfathomable money by sticking to their main formula, but still go on to make risky stuff like Sekiro and Armored Core just makes it hard for me not to respect them as artists. It’s almost weird how little greed they put off for a studio their size. 

Not to mention, keeps them from getting stagnant. 

Maybe a certain other RPG giant should have tried sprinkling some smaller, experimental projects between releases :vaultboy: