Soulsborne Thread #11

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I feel like yall are missing the point being made. It’s not that Ranni is an atheist, it’s that the rebellion she is launching -intent on removing the mainstream religion and literally sending away any influence of the world’s central divine being- is an appealing notion to modern atheists. 

What she plans on replacing that with, be it nothing, an enigmatic cosmic force, or a different god who isn’t yet mainstream, is irrelevant to that fact.

But because the Dark Moon is so damn mysterious, and we are given so little reason to buy into it as a positive change, the argument against her still stands. It’s replacing an Order that works for a dice roll that could result in… nothing… or a new order… or a greater oppression than before… or absolute chaos… or the literal end of the world.

Yeah sorry, I made those comments before fully catching up XD

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I feel like yall are missing the point being made. It’s not that Ranni is an atheist, it’s that the rebellion she is launching -intent on removing the mainstream religion and literally sending away any influence of the world’s central divine being- is an appealing notion to modern atheists. 

What she plans on replacing that with, be it nothing, an enigmatic cosmic force, or a different god who isn’t yet mainstream, is irrelevant to that fact.

But because the Dark Moon is so damn mysterious, and we are given so little reason to buy into it as a positive change, the argument against her still stands. It’s replacing an Order that works for a dice roll that could result in… nothing… or a new order… or a greater oppression than before… or absolute chaos… or the literal end of the world.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LET CHAOS TAKE THE WORLD! 

• Haha 1

TL;DW

Radahn almost loses the ground game but pulls the clutch win with his insane meteor strike.

Fire Giant barely wins, mainly because Nameless King’s AI doesn’t know how to handle the second half of that fight. XD He has some really badass moments in it, though.

Maliketh gets whipped in phase 1, but as soon as he breaks out the Black Blade, proceeds to melt Nameless in like five seconds.

Godfrey tanks every one of Nameless King’s attacks directly to the face and still kicks his ass without even getting down to half health. 

Astel’s just got too much health for Nameless to get through before his own gets whittled down. Another win by tanking.

Mohg loses hard until he busts out the "Nihil" hax and just insta-wins in one move. 

Malenia wins easily.

Radagon wins easily.

Elden Beast trips up his AI again and also tanks him with no trouble.

Rykard wipes the floor since Nameless is using the wrong storm spear.

Everyone else loses. 

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

TL;DW

Radahn almost loses the ground game but pulls the clutch win with his insane meteor strike.

Fire Giant barely wins, mainly because Nameless King’s AI doesn’t know how to handle the second half of that fight. XD 

Maliketh gets whipped in phase 1, but as soon as he breaks out the Black Blade, proceeds to melt Nameless in like five seconds.

Godfrey tanks every one of Nameless King’s attacks directly to the face and still kicks his ass without even getting down to half health. Probably the most badass fight of the lot. 

Astel’s just got too much health for Nameless to get through before his own gets whittled down. Another win by tanking.

Mohg loses hard until he busts out the "Nihil" hax and just insta-wins in one move. 

Malenia wins easily.

Radagon wins easily.

Elden Beast trips up his AI again and also tanks him with no trouble.

Rykard wipes the floor since Nameless is using the wrong storm spear.

Everyone else loses. 

I don't like how they removed his stormdrake; ER bosses got there other phases XD But him on the Dragon would auto kill everything 

24 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Scaled up I think nameless king slaps, sure. But that’s the problem, you have to scale him up. The dragons in dark souls ain’t shit compared to the ones in elden ring, neither are the deities tbh and that drake, pitiful.

Nah the extinct Stone Dragons that the God's fought are one hundred percent comparable: Miyazaki compared them to primeval earth spirits in the shape of dragons. The one immortal whelp still alive hidden in Ash Lake can't even be killed by conventional means. 

13 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Nah the extinct Stone Dragons that the God's fought are one hundred percent comparable: Miyazaki compared them to primeval earth spirits in the shape of dragons. The one immortal whelp still alive hidden in Ash Lake can't even be killed by conventional means. 

Gameplay I mean man, not lore.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

The tarnished is a lot stronger and has more powerful “weapon arts” than the ashen one does. I think if you put them in, most would have a pretty easy time dealing with the nameless king and his move set, meanwhile Margott has made people new and vet quit lol

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

The tarnished is a lot stronger and has more powerful “weapon arts” than the ashen one does. I think if you put them in, most would have a pretty easy time dealing with the nameless king and his move set, meanwhile Margott has made people new and vet quit lol

Tarnished is definitely the stronger protagonist. Basically the same but with better and more moves and tools with a higher level scale. 

But if Margit made many vets quit, I imagine it’s because he was so deliberately designed to be a hard counter to the habits Souls players have been groomed to develop (roll timing, and such), more so than because he is just that much tougher in general.

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Tarnished is definitely the stronger protagonist. Basically the same but with better and more moves and tools with a higher level scale. 

But if Margit made many vets quit, I imagine it’s because he was so deliberately designed to be a hard counter to the habits Souls players have been groomed to develop (roll timing, and such), more so than because he is just that much tougher in general.

I’d say that’s the same thing tho tbh

Hmmm. He is very tanky but that fight is basically the time slip dragon in elden ring. Not sure which I’d call harder, they’re very similar:

I don’t know if Midir is tankier or if you just do way less damage in DS3 than in Elden Ring, but it definitely takes me way longer to get Midir’s health to zero. That fight is a damn slog. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I don’t know if Midir is tankier or if you just do way less damage in DS3 than in Elden Ring, but it definitely takes me way longer to get Midir’s health to zero. That fight is a damn slog. 

I would say it doesn’t matter much if you’re scaling to compare, but they’re both very tanky while dealing tons of damage. Souls is also designed to be more slow and methodical. Elden Ring doesn’t really do long encounters. 

Theyre very much the end game dragon boss of both their respective titles tho but midir is dlc…. Who knows what shenanigans we’re in for with elden rings dlc XD

• Like 2

I’d say that’s the same thing tho tbh

I wouldn’t. It’s specifically designed to be hard for Souls players. Someone who hasn’t developed the same timing and habits might not be as easy to trap with them. The reasons why they struggle will be different.

Either way, a boss filtering out shitty players at the beginning of a game isn’t really great evidence of him being tougher than the big dog end game boss of a different one. Margit is mostly just hard for newbies who still suck at Elden Ring; Nameless is only not hard for people who are really good at Souls.