Soulsborne Thread #11

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Another thought. If the dlcs of Ds2 are cannon, then the Bearer of the Curse is a true immortal. After combining the crowns the player can never hollow again.

Wouldn't that mean that character is still around by Ds3? Keep in mind this also means that Gael somehow took out our old character and his shard of the Dark Soul.

I don't think it's implied Gael took EVERY shard of the Dark Soul from every human; just that he absorbed just enough blood from the Pygmy Lord's (who have a much more potent and undiluted store of it) that he was able to manifest and channel its power.

It's hard to quanify cosmic priclnciples. 

35 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I don't think it's implied Gael took EVERY shard of the Dark Soul from every human; just that he absorbed just enough blood from the Pygmy Lord's (who have a much more potent and undiluted store of it) that he was able to manifest and channel its power.

It's hard to quanify cosmic priclnciples. 

I like to think that Gael quite literally took every last remaining fragment of the dark soul. Of course so much Humanity was sacrificed to the bonfires over the eons that the soul will never be fully whole again, especially with the fragments of Manus seemingly fizzling out into just Karla (or nothing if the theory that she's Zullie's daughter).

But for all intents and purposes, our character is the last. 

50 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That, or he rekindled the Flame and became part of the Soul of Cinder that gets taken out.

Maybe but I don't see that as likely. One ending has the Bearer achieve finality in death, by claiming the throne of want. While the other has the Bearer truly beyond the cycle of fire and dark, it could be interpreted that he rejects both.

@The Good Doctor @BigBossBalrog

Replaying DsR of late has me in the mood for banal discussion.

Out of all the From games, what's your favorite mage armor/outfit? As much as I love Elden Ring's astrologer robes, I'm reminded why three of my ten characters have at least one piece of the Channeler set XD

It's such a cool armor. Regal and freakish. And is an absolute travesty that it didn't continue on in ds2 and/or 3.

16 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

@The Good Doctor @BigBossBalrog

Replaying DsR of late has me in the mood for banal discussion.

Out of all the From games, what's your favorite mage armor/outfit? As much as I love Elden Ring's astrologer robes, I'm reminded why three of my ten characters have at least one piece of the Channeler set XD

It's such a cool armor. Regal and freakish. And is an absolute travesty that it didn't continue on in ds2 and/or 3.

Spellblade

er-spellblade-set-concept.jpg

I love the classic old-school DnD vibe it brings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I imagine they were planning to do a Godwyn themed DLC and a Miquella themed one, but they decided to merge the two together. 

Is it confirmed that they’re only making one? I’d have thought that Elden Ring being such a ridiculous success would all but guarantee we’d get at least that many.

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Is it confirmed that they’re only making one? I’d have thought that Elden Ring being such a ridiculous success would all but guarantee we’d get at least that many.

No, I think he's saying the original plan before the game sold so much was to have a season pass in the vein of Dark Souls 3. They decided to scrap that, and turn it into one mega-expansion. Nothing about if they have stuff beyond that planned (though I think Bandai pretty much stated in there investor call they already planning another game) 

Artorias of the Abyss was 100 percent built from Beta and Cut content that never made it in the game, so it really feels like it was always part of the base game.\

Old Hunters is similar, but it feels a little more standalone and is done to as a more of a "we conclude the story and lore we left unfinished in the vanilla game" 

The Lost Crowns and Ashes expansions all feel like mini-episodes and side stories, which is good, but also feel quite a bit more disjointed. Ringed City acts as the real ending of Dark Souls, which is fantastic in its own right. 

I think Old Hunters is what the DLC is going to feel most similar too.