Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #37

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Tbh, I think Delphine and Esbern are better characters than most other Blades we’ve seen. Delphine has an annoying attitude, but I like that they are actually competent and even pull off some wins without player intervention.

I think if they presented their point better, they'd be at the very least slightly less hated.

Have them lay out their case that Parthy is basically at the head of a much reduced dragon cult, with an incredible amount of misplaced trust in the Greybeards for their passivity. Don't try and pull moral strings because then players sympathize with Parthy too much, as myself does XD

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Even disregarding all the jungle and Cyrodiilic culture stuff that got mixed, Morrowind passed Oblivion an easy layup for its story. Uriel’s sickness, the doppelgängers and succession crisis, the riots in the city, it was all there and ready to be used. Damn shame Oblivion dropped that ball so hard.

Would’ve also been cool if Caius filled Jauffrey’s role in the story. But not as a weird celibate monk. 

They even could have still worked in Oblivion's story with the Daedra as a second act. The stakes couldn't be higher and then, the Mythic Dawn assassinates key figures.

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

I think if they presented their point better, they'd be at the very least slightly less hated.

Have them lay out their case that Parthy is basically at the head of a much reduced dragon cult, with an incredible amount of misplaced trust in the Greybeards for their passivity. Don't try and pull moral strings because then players sympathize with Parthy too much, as myself does XD

Agreed. Have them make the argument of: "when you die, nobody will be left to stop him; he’s eternal, how do you know he’s not just waiting you out?"

And have Paarthurnax display a few instances of tyrannical thinking that reinforce their theory in your head. This happens once at the end of the MQ, but it would help if it happened more. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Agreed. Have them make the argument of: "when you die, nobody will be left to stop him; he’s eternal, how do you know he’s not just waiting you out?"

And have Paarthurnax display a few instances of tyrannical thinking that reinforce their theory in your head. This happens once at the end of the MQ, but it would help if it happened more. 

I'd also have them display, and I mean really display that Paarthurnax is the top dog dragon just under Alduin.

Another thing I'd do is have the ultimatum of having to kill Parthy is at the end of the MQ, when he's going to bind all the dragons he can to his philosophy. Make that the do or die, now or never moment with Delphine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I'd also have them display, and I mean really display that Paarthurnax is the top dog dragon just under Alduin.

Another thing I'd do is have the ultimatum of having to kill Parthy is at the end of the MQ, when he's going to bind all the dragons he can to his philosophy. Make that the do or die, now or never moment with Delphine. 

Adding onto this. Give the player an option earlier on when Delphine is wanting Parthy's head to convince her that he and the Greybeards are paramount to defeating Alduin. That throwing away such a powerful ally when the literal World-Eater is galivanting about is extremely short sighted.

• Like 1

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

They even could have still worked in Oblivion's story with the Daedra as a second act. The stakes couldn't be higher and then, the Mythic Dawn assassinates key figures.

Yeah, having the Mythic Dawn plot tie into the succession crisis would be a great way to do it. Especially since the crisis was caused by Jagar Tharn, who was affiliated with Mehrunes Dagon. You could connect all of these games like a series is supposed to do!!!

Include early game rumors that Septim heirs have been assassinated in High Rock and Skyrim, and the Elder Council is scrambling to orgnaize a replacement for Uriel as his sickness worsens.

The second act begins when Uriel finally succumbs to his condition and his son isn’t able to wear the Amulet of Kings because the doppelgänger rumors are revealed to be true. Then the Oblivion gates start to open. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I like this. Have her suggest it before that point, give us the option to rebuke her, and have her even show a little humility by actually stepping back and accepting our response.

Then, at the end, she gets desperate as Pnaax suddenly seems much younger and stronger than he presented himself before. Only then does she switch from suggesting to demanding. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yeah, having the Mythic Dawn plot tie into the succession crisis would be a great way to do it. Especially since the crisis was caused by Jagar Tharn, who was affiliated with Mehrunes Dagon. You could connect all of these games like a series is supposed to do!!!

Include early game rumors that Septim heirs have been assassinated in High Rock and Skyrim, and the Elder Council is scrambling to orgnaize a replacement for Uriel as his sickness worsens.

The second act begins when Uriel finally succumbs to his condition and his son isn’t able to wear the Amulet of Kings because the doppelgänger rumors are revealed to be true. Then the Oblivion gates start to open. 

Then revealing Martin being a true, but illegitimate heir isn't such an out of the blue curveball that's only sorta kinda maybe after the fact alluded to in Daggerfall.

I'd make High Chancellor Ocato be the only other person besides Uriel and Caius to know about him, considering Ocato has been the right hand man of Uriel since Daggerfall.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Then revealing Martin being a true, but illegitimate heir isn't such an out of the blue curveball that's only sorta kinda maybe after the fact alluded to in Daggerfall.

I'd make High Chancellor Ocato be the only other person besides Uriel and Caius to know about him, considering Ocato has been the right hand man of Uriel since Daggerfall.

Shit, I’ve got the plot in my head now. In Uriel’s bedridden state, his doppelgänger son has been consolidating power in the capital, knowing full well that he is illegitimate. Uriel dies, Oblivion gates start opening, and he is ruling as Emperor despite not wearing the Amulet of Kings. Most people aren’t aware of this fact or its mystical connotations, and he and his followers guard it closely. 

Near the end, Martin arrives at the Capital wearing the Amulet of Kings and rebukes the false Emperor. We don’t get to have a boss fight with Mehrunes Dagon (fiery dragon god Martin gets that), but we do get to defeat the false Emperor who is revealed to be of House Tharn. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Shit, I’ve got the plot in my head now. In Uriel’s bedridden state, his doppelgänger son has been consolidating power in the capital, knowing full well that he is illegitimate. Uriel dies, Oblivion gates start opening, and he is ruling as Emperor despite not wearing the Amulet of Kings. Most people aren’t aware of this fact or its mystical connotations, and he and his followers guard it closely. 

Near the end, Martin arrives at the Capital wearing the Amulet of Kings and rebukes the false Emperor. We don’t get to have a boss fight with Mehrunes Dagon (fiery dragon god Martin gets that), but we do get to defeat the false Emperor who is revealed to be of House Tharn. 

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I'm entirely unfamiliar with that character beyond him being a real important person in ESO.

For the most part, your Good Guy team in ESO are a bunch of stick-up-the-ass goody-two-shoes who take everything very seriously and are very very very very good people. And then there is Abnur Tharn, who is a refreshingly cruel and manipulative dickhead. XD 

He’s such an asshole that he realized Mannimarco was evil before anyone else, because he saw himself in him. While the others resisted Manni and got their asses kicked for the effort, Tharn joined him with the intention to betray, with great results.

He is a member of the Nibenese mage aristocracy that was described in the first Pocket Guide, which is one of the only in-game depictions of these people. He’s a huge Cyrodiilic patriot, and is unabashedly proud of the fact.

He plays the "game of thrones" like a pro and had like fifteen children (dude fucks), just so he could marry them off to nobles across the land to secure power for his House.

And he talks mad shit to literally everyone he meets. He is constantly roasting all the other heroes, including the PC. He calls Mannimarco an "ignominious corpse herder" to his face, and says his delusions of godhood are laughable.

And in spite of all the other good guys constantly giving him shit about what an evil prick he is, calling him selfish, and generally seeing him as worse than themselves, he ends up giving his life to save everyone else. So those self-righteous pricks can suck it. XD 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Centurion said:

I just dislike the blades. Always have. Delphine has that arrogant attitude that pisses me off and the way they go about giving the parthy ultimatum make the console and “setessntial 0” happen real quick. 

I am love-hate with them. I loved Caius as a character, and I find their whole CIA "spy on the people, enact secret plans" side to be really cool. Bad, but cool.

But in Oblivion they are so comically inept that I can’t take them seriously. Their CIA side seems almost absent, and they suck at being bodyguards.

Skyrim brought back the CIA stuff and pitted it against the Thalmor, which was cool, but then the dragons got shoehorned into their lore just like they did with the ancient Nords’ lore, and that was very annoying.

Still, Penitus Oculatus are better. Cooler name, less weebish, better lore, more impressive track record. Inspector Colin Vineben is a better-written character than all the Blades combined. 

I thought this was cool. There's a really famous version of RE4 called 3.5, and it had alot of different interations, one which heavily inspired Village. And apparently Remake 4 is drawing alot from it XD It's cool to look at a cancelled project fifteen years ago, and use it to influence future projects.