Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #37

41 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Fun fact. EA puts a service agreement at the start of the new Dead Space. Makes it look like you need to to sign and agree to their terms in order to play, but it’s a trick. Just back out and you can play your game without signing. 

You got it?! Sweet XD

5 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Sounds awesome, would you recommend the remake over the original since I never beat it?

I’m just at the beginning, but I’ll say this much, it handles great and the new gen lighting and sound design makes the necromorphs terrifying.

Even knowing how the intro goes, the part where everything pops off had my heart racing.

Isaac actually engaging in conversations instead of staring mutely while people talk at him is nice too. Especially because he isn’t chatty when he’s alone, which was my worry when they said they’d be adding a voice.

I quite liked the updated opening because now he really gets to shine as a master engineer, pointing out and describing the Ishimura’s technical problems and how to solve them like a proper professional. Whereas before, it was the other characters who did this instead. He basically saves all their lives right at the start (brief as some of them will be :P) just because he reads the ship manuals. Makes him feel much more engaged and helpful in the opening rather than a passive bystander like before.

23 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’m just at the beginning, but I’ll say this much, it handles great and the new gen lighting and sound design makes the necromorphs terrifying.

Even knowing how the intro goes, the part where everything pops off had my heart racing.

Hide contents

Isaac actually engaging in conversations instead of staring mutely while people talk at him is nice too. Especially because he isn’t chatty when he’s alone, which was my worry when they said they’d be adding a voice.

I quite liked the updated opening because now he really gets to shine as a master engineer, pointing out and describing the Ishimura’s technical problems and how to solve them like a proper professional. Whereas before, it was the other characters who did this instead. He basically saves all their lives right at the start (brief as some of them will be :P) just because he reads the ship manuals. Makes him feel much more engaged and helpful in the opening rather than a passive bystander like before.

I kind of like how they made one of the grunts an actual character who gets to live a little longer 

XD

12 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

I kind of like how they made one of the grunts an actual character who gets to live a little longer 

XD

Yeah, when she broke her ankle and they told her to stay on the ship, I was thinking "oh nice, lucky gal gets to survive the intro". XD I don’t think anyone besides the main three did in the original.

Idk about you guys but I’m actually getting more and more excited for Starfield. Based on the backstory and traits system it seems like Bethesda might actually be listening to fans again after F4 and the F game that shall not be named. But more importantly I want it to come out so tes 6 production can go into full time, but also so the inevitable total conversion Star Wars mods can start coming out lmao

• Haha 1

Fuck:dntknw:

16 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Idk about you guys but I’m actually getting more and more excited for Starfield. Based on the backstory and traits system it seems like Bethesda might actually be listening to fans again after F4 and the F game that shall not be named. But more importantly I want it to come out so tes 6 production can go into full time, but also so the inevitable total conversion Star Wars mods can start coming out lmao

I think it should be telling that all of my interest in Starfield has nothing to do with Starfield itself. Like you, I’m ready for TES6 to enter full production, and I’m curious to see what good ideas they’ll have for this game that will carry over to their other series.

But for Starfield itself, I’ve just got no interest, and the Bethesda logo on it doesn’t really mean much to me anymore. The world and premise just don’t grab me at all.

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I think it should be telling that all of my interest in Starfield has nothing to do with Starfield itself. Like you, I’m ready for TES6 to enter full production, and I’m curious to see what good ideas they’ll have for this game that will carry over to their other series.

But for Starfield itself, I’ve just got no interest, and the Bethesda logo on it doesn’t really mean much to me anymore. The world and premise just don’t grab me at all.

I’m not really set on the setting either. But I’m hoping it comes out the gate swinging. It’d be nice to have another game series I really like. The outer worlds was just a little to linear for me and the setting didn’t really grab me hence why I never finished it. But even if Starfield is boring and bland, I know the modding community it’s going to go balls to wall with Star Wars, Star Trek, Halo, etc etc

• Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

He's actually been bringing up how much he wants to do Dead Space for the last year XD

Imagine making a horror game that John Carpenter wants to adapt! It’s such an honor, and I don’t know how you could not be trying to get in contact with him immediately. XD Like making a recipe so good that Gordon Ramsey wants to join your kitchen staff. 

• Haha 1

I remember people worried about Isaac now speaking; but he's like ten times more likeable. His personality is good (just like Dead Space 2/3 but less crazy XD) and he actually has agency. In the OG he was the one listening to orders, but alot of the time here he's coming up with his own plans to help the survivors. 

22 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I remember people worried about Isaac now speaking; but he's like ten times more likeable. His personality is good (just like Dead Space 2/3 but less crazy XD) and he actually has agency. In the OG he was the one listening to orders, but alot of the time here he's coming up with his own plans to help the survivors. 

Yeah, I was one of those people. *Fallout 4 flashbacks* But this time it honestly seems like a strict upgrade. One of the few unimmersive things about the original Dead Space was Isaac’s muteness. And he doesn’t seem to speak much at all in this, just as much as he needs to for conversations.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I think the rule of "only talks when spoken too" is a good one (which is apparently was what they used for Isaac)

Or to begin an important conversation. But otherwise, yeah, I like it when they keep their mouths shut. Particularly in really tense and atmospheric games like Dead Space.

Not that chatty protagonists can’t be done well. It just needs to make sense in context rather than being a lazy way to comment on the world and tell the player what to do. "I know we’ve got to be careful in here, Lara! You don’t need to tell me."

Hellblade did it excellently. Senua talks a lot, but she is a schizophrenic who we share a head with and literally hears voices that talk to her first.

Deathloop does it well too. Colt is alone and unhinged, and basically just talks to himself in an effort to stay sane. And it helps that he has a really strong personality to make his comments enjoyable.