Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #37

Shit. Microsoft just fired 10,000 employees. 1/3 of the ENTIRE 343 study was layed off (Staten, the dude who saved Halo I from launch diaster, just quit too). Campaign DLC was just cancelled :( 

Ubisoft, Blizzard, EA, Unity, Riot all just did very large layoffs too. All of this in one fuck, WTF is going with the western game industry. 

14 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Shit. Microsoft just fired 10,000 employees. 1/3 of the ENTIRE 343 study was layed off (Staten, the dude who saved Halo I from launch diaster, just quit too). Campaign DLC was just cancelled :( 

Ubisoft, Blizzard, EA, Unity, Riot all just did very large layoffs too. All of this in one fuck, WTF is going with the western game industry. 

I doubt it’s anything specific about the gaming industry in particular. This is happening all over. The whole world is in a not-so-thinly-veiled recession, and corporations are trimming as much "fat" as they can in order to stay afloat. 

Still think Hugh Jackman would've been much better as Joel than Pedro Pascal. He is an even better actor and looks way closer (and can actually grow a beard XD). Although I could see people saying it would've been too similar to his part in Logan.

But come on, tell me it ain't perfect!

My-Post-Copy-4-1024x576.png

Logan-Hugh-Jackman-Wolverine.jpg

No idea who I'd cast as Ellie. Not familiar enough with the current bunch of young actresses to say. But Lyanna Mormont is just way off. Not only in looks, but charisma and acting chops. Whoever plays Ellie needs to be way more emotive and 'fun' than she seems capable of.

36 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Still think Hugh Jackman would've been much better as Joel than Pedro Pascal. He is an even better actor and looks way closer (and can actually grow a beard XD). Although I could see people saying it would've been too similar to his part in Logan.

Hide contents

But come on, tell me it ain't perfect!

My-Post-Copy-4-1024x576.png

Logan-Hugh-Jackman-Wolverine.jpg

No idea who I'd cast as Ellie. Not familiar enough with the current bunch of young actresses to say. But Lyanna Mormont is just way off. Not only in looks, but charisma and acting chops. Whoever plays Ellie needs to be way more emotive and 'fun' than she seems capable of.

Wow he's spot on

Went down the rabbit hole of old emails, with the oldest going back to 2014. That's the kind of nostalgia that hurts a little to feel, hard to explain it. Lots of old emails with my original group of 360 friends.

Thankfully I'm still in contact with one of them, but speak to him only occasionally. The other one, FalconWarrior has just completely fallen off the grid, back in 2016 and he hasn't spoken to me since. Even to my other buddy who was like his best friend, I gave him one last email a little earlier but I doubt he'll respond to it.

Whatever happens here, I hope to always stay in contact with you guys.

Edited by TheCzarsHussar
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s putting it mildly. They recently sold all of their Western IPs for peanuts. 

Wish they’d waited a couple years. I’d have offered more for Tomb Raider just for the chance to do it right for a change. XD 

They sold them to make NFT games so it's even fucking worst XD

The only thing they have still popular is Final Fantasy, and even that dosen't do nearly as well as it used too

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's kind of funny to see record profits and acclaim for Capcom and From, yet Square seems to be trapped in a bubble and is repeating the same mistakes they were ten years ago XD They even tried making there own souls game and it failed miserably. 

From what little I’ve seen, Square seems like it’s just turned into Ubisoft Lite. They just follow industry trends and rehash ideas that other companies do better, never finding a niche like Fromsoft or trying to evolve and innovate like Capcom.

But they used to make a ton of games and I’ve only played a few of them, so maybe I’m off the mark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

uII77qq.png

This year's been really rought for Square, and apparently that new Open World RPG they made is absolutely horrible XD

I saw something say she had more dialogue there then Commander Shepard in all of Mass Effect 1 XD

An exaggeration but a hilarious one

Edited by TheCzarsHussar

I know it’s 2023 and everybody is just itching to talk about Fallout 4, so I’ll give you poor souls an opportunity.

Does anyone else think it’s weird as hell that we got a scene where Kellogg’s "mind" inhabited Nick Valentine's body and absolutely nothing came of it?

That might be one of Bethesda’s biggest wasted opportunities. And it’s bizarre because they put in all the necessary legwork to set up this convoluted but interesting scenario, then just dropped it immediately.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I know it’s 2023 and everybody is just itching to talk about Fallout 4, so I’ll give you poor souls an opportunity.

Does anyone else think it’s weird as hell that we got a scene where Kellogg’s "mind" inhabited Nick Valentine's body and absolutely nothing came of it?

That might be one of Bethesda’s biggest wasted opportunities. And it’s bizarre because they put in all the necessary legwork to set up this convoluted but interesting scenario, then just dropped it immediately.

I was actually really excited after that quest, since we heard mentions of the NCR, and the whole "life flashing before his eyes" was actually a very cool way to show his backstory. 

I thought it was building up to a Jekyll Hyde situation were we got Kellogg as a pseudo-companion that was going to be like fucking God/Dog...and then nothing XD It fucking sucks.

They really shouldn't have killed him so early, he was by far the coolest villain in the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

They really shouldn't have killed him so early, he was by far the coolest villain in the game. 

What’s funny is that Bethesda deliberately wrote a story where killing the awesome villain was honestly the only realistic option… which sucks.

But then they proceeded to invent a scenario in which the awesome villain not only returns, but cannot be killed again, as he inhabits the body of your friend… which is awesome. And honestly the only way I can conceive of for most normal Sole Survivors to keep the guy around, since any other scenario would naturally end with us killing the dude who murdered our wife.

It was a clunky, but weirdly functional solution to the early removal of his character. I have no idea why they didn’t capitalize on it to include him more. 

I watched ep2 of TLoU and...

holy fucking shit... this is good.

I thought I was immune to being creeped out by zombie movies, but cordyceps did it. Plus just the gorgeous lost-world scenery and the characters are really good. I'm officially hooked.

• Like 2

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

On 1/16/2023 at 2:55 PM, BigBossBalrog said:

I heard Indian people are even getting tired of her being the only one allowed by Hollywood to represent there culture XD

Been watching M. Night Shyamalan's Servant on Apple TV. It's really drawn out and dull at times, but he always includes at least one stand-in for himself (if not himself), so there's at least one other nerdy Indian around. The cinematography of course is really good.

On 1/19/2023 at 6:50 PM, The Good Doctor said:

I doubt it’s anything specific about the gaming industry in particular. This is happening all over. The whole world is in a not-so-thinly-veiled recession, and corporations are trimming as much "fat" as they can in order to stay afloat. 

Lots of tech lay-offs. My industry (cleaning supplies) is also in a downturn. Rough times thanks to inflation.

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

15 minutes ago, Celan said:

I watched ep2 of TLoU and...

Reveal hidden contents

holy fucking shit... this is good.

I thought I was immune to being creeped out by zombie movies, but cordyceps did it. Plus just the gorgeous lost-world scenery and the characters are really good. I'm officially hooked.

Wait till you see the ones that aren't basic infected XD

One of the only really cool things Last of Us 2 did is make it canon things like this are running around 

how-to-kill-rat-king-boss-battle-guide-l