Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #37

Well, I have one other bone to pick with Jackson, and that's that he replaced Glorfindel with Arwen in the scene where a badass elf has to save Frodo. I get why he did it, but I still resent it.

Glorfindel.jpg

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

9 minutes ago, Celan said:

Well, I have one other bone to pick with Jackson, and that's that he replaced Glorfindel with Arwen in the scene where a badass elf has to save Frodo. I get why he did it, but I still resent it.

That’s fair. I don’t think Arwen doing it is much worse, per se, or drags the movie down for me. But I get the pain of having a favorite character cut out so their scenes can be given to someone else.

GoT did that a lot. I’ll never forgive Arya cooking and serving up the Freys while Lord Manderly hides in his castle like the fat coward he’s not supposed to be. 

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Celan said:

Glorfindel.jpg

Arwen was just a literal trophy for Aragon to earn in the books, so I can 100 percent see why they gave her a more important role in the movies XD 

It's a shame they got rid of Glorfindel though. He was really cool in the Battle for Middle Earth 2 (whose art direction was made by Weta Workshop, the same people who did it for the movies) 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Arwen was just a literal trophy for Aragon to earn in the books, so I can 100 percent see why they gave her a more important role in the movies XD 

That is a very uncharitable reading of their relationship. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's a shame they got rid of Glorfindel though. He was really cool in the Battle for Middle Earth 2 (whose art direction was made by Weta Workshop, the same people who did it for the movies) 

He was really cool in that. XD 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

That is a very uncharitable reading of their relationship. 

No from a writing technique standpoint XD I should have used "video game achievement". Not to insult the relationship itself, but if I remember Elrond forbade Aragon from marrying her till he became King.

Her role was to give some exposition to Frodo, and then be a reward of Aragon's victory against Sauron. It's why i've always much preferred Eowyn XD

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

13ba4131a6229670081184ff512e749d.jpg

And OP, I remember him and Gloin carving shit up. 

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

No from a writing technique standpoint XD I should have used "video game achievement". Not to insult the relationship itself, but if I remember Elrond forbade Aragon from marrying her till he became King.

Her role was to give some exposition to Frodo, and then be a reward of Aragon's victory against Sauron. It's why i've always much preferred Eowyn XD

That’s still uncharitable to Arwen. Not everyone has to be a main character or an adventurous warrior, and she represented more than a reward for Aragorn’s victory. Her giving up her immortality for love is one of the most significant personal sacrifices that any character makes in the whole story. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s still uncharitable to Arwen. Not everyone has to be a main character or an adventurous warrior, and she represented more than a reward for Aragorn’s victory. Her giving up her immortality for love is one of the most significant personal sacrifices that any character makes in the whole story. 

I don't dislike Arwen because she isn't a fighter I do because I think she's one of Tolkien's weakest characters. She's barely in the novels at all to the point where you barely see that love.

A perfect "non-fighter" is Mina Harker in Dracula. She's in the same boat as the stakes for the heroes to fight Dracula against but unlike Arwen she's heavily involved in the plot, you get to see her relationship with the other characters, she uses her skills in a non-combat role to help her friends without actually fighting, and she has her own a POV and motives beyond being a satellite love interest XD

Peter Jackson gave Arwen a much better role in my opinion enough that I felt her relationship with Aragon was earned.

30 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

All I'm just saying is Tolkien could have done more showing instead of telling with her XD

Sure. He could’ve done more of literally anything with any character. XD But what he did show and tell us of Arwen paints her as more than just a prize or devise to motivate Aragorn. 

And "show don’t tell" might be one of the most damaging sentences for literary analysis ever spoken. :lol: There is a ton of value in both. 

6 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

All I'm just saying is Tolkien could have done more showing instead of telling with her XD

All in all, she is a minor character in terms of any direct involvement in the story. Elves in general don't figure highly in LOTR- which is as it should be, since they're fading and mostly hidden. 

If someone had filmed the Silmarillion properly, different story, though even there he has a way of dropping these really juicy story and character bits completely undeveloped, while spending pages and pages going on about Beren and Luthien.

• Like 2

"If you know me you know I don't keep up with the times. I just go with the flow." - Woody Copeland, life coach

So yeah, Blood Origins reminds me of an early 2000's bad teenage fantasy series with Felecia Day in it XD It's fucking horrible. I watched ten minutes of it, and noped the fuck right out. It's such a huge shame a great actress like Michelle Yeoh (who was the star in Everything Everywhere All at Once) whom I really like involved herself with it. It even worst then Rings of Power

The fact Andrzej Sapkowski is willing to publicly shame CD for "butchering" his universe, but not Netlix whose defiled it proves my impressions of him being a greedy idiot.  

I think 2022 will go down as the year George R. R fucking Martin proved his mastery of the fantasty genre with House of Dragon and Elden Ring, and everyone else failed beyond miserably XD

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The fact Andrzej Sapkowski is willing to publicly shame CD for "butchering" his universe, but not Netlix whose defiled it proves my impressions of him being a greedy idiot.  

He said most of that stuff about CRPR right around the time his son was dying and he was in a really bad place. I’d cut him some slack, personally.

They also are currently releasing episodes for a sequel show to Willow, which was apparently awful as well. And they did Wheel of Time earlier this year.

I don’t know why everyone and their mother decided that 2022 was the year to dig up every beloved fantasy series at the same time and make a cheap-ass TV series about it, but it seems like they all really suck at it. HBO is the only one who’s ever pulled this off. I just hope they stick the landing with HotD because season 1 was excellent.

5 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

e85htkzm838a1.jpg

dm6u6701948a1.png

of7jdewa498a1.jpg?width=1073&format=pjpg

xp8zro0b498a1.jpg?width=1915&format=pjpgYes because the super tolerant guy whose kind to those discriminated against because of his own experiences is now racist XD They really hate Geralt (in a show without Geralt) 

Not to mention the fact that Yennefer is part elf.

The writers are just bad, that's all there is to it. Streaming services are absolutely afflicted with terrible writing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celan said:

Not to mention the fact that Yennefer is part elf.

The writers are just bad, that's all there is to it. Streaming services are absolutely afflicted with terrible writing.

I'd argue also the, costumes, CGI and the production quality are also horrible, but yeah, people can excuse those aspects, but the writing should at least be tolerable XD

Netflix is relying on it's foreign content and it's few skilled creators like Mike Flanagan, while overwhelming it's program list with cheap but marketable stuff that'll appeals to normie's. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Apparently he recently ditched them. XD He even released his entire story plans for the sequel to Midnight Mass to the public because he knows he’ll never be making it now.  

That's fucking bullshit. That was one of the coolest depictions of vampires in modern TV. Fuck Netflix XD

That and Hill House were some of my favorite horror shows ever.