Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #37

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Dunmer playing Majoras Mask, early 4th era: "I don't understand what's so scary about this game? Pure fantasy, childish. Who could be afraid of some outer realm rock falling on them? Nothing like that could ever happen to us."

That's what the whole thing reminded me of :rofl:

f82517f755d5ea6dca5421693569fe9d.jpg

majoras-mask-zora-transformation-e135451

EZJ3774XYAAzQYv.jpg

Even as a kid who played some horror games before on my bros old PS1/PS2 I was still frightened by the imagery, Nintedo used to make metal shit like this. 

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Fallout 1 as well, with your vault being desperate for the water. 

Works better in games that are primarily centered around their main stories. A mechanic like that would be terrible in Morrowind. It’d be pretty BS to encourage players to explore and get to know the world only to punish then harshly for it. Unlike Oblivion or Skyrim, Morrowind’s storyline does not require immediate urgency. The threat is slow moving and long-term. You’re the one who ramps up the stakes by pursuing the prophesy.

My main complaint about fallout 1 is the timer. I don’t like feeling forced. I play games to roleplay and relax and having and impeding doom that forced my hand isn’t fun. “Well, just do everything later” nah fam. It doesn’t make sense for the Nerevarine/champion of Cyrodiil to run around the world collect x ingredient for npc whatever.

Fuck:dntknw:

4 minutes ago, Centurion said:

My main complaint about fallout 1 is the timer. I don’t like feeling forced. I play games to roleplay and relax and having and impeding doom that forced my hand isn’t fun. “Well, just do everything later” nah fam. It doesn’t make sense for the Nerevarine/champion of Cyrodiil to run around the world collect x ingredient for npc whatever.

Why should the world be constantly centered on the prot; that takes me out of setting if everything is player centric, I want to feel uncomfortable XD

4 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Fallout 1 gets a pass for me in it's timer due to how quickly you can fix their water chip. It's only if you send a shipment of water that puts another, if not only personally dire, timer.

The Master's army will eventually find Vault 13, but the player has enough time between fixing the water situation and the mutant situation 

5 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Why should the world be constantly centered on the prot; that takes me out of setting if everything is player centric, I want to feel uncomfortable XD

See that’s where we differ, if the world ending depends on me doing something or not, that’s being constantly centered on the player. I don’t like cyberpunk for the sole reason of my character having a fucking body snatchers episode because it feels forced for me to blast through the main jobs, I don’t like being the Dragonborn because I feel forced to do the main quest. I like to just be a dude doing dude things in the world

• Like 1

If I had my way, the civil war in Skyrim would progress with or with out the player. Territory would change hands or massive battle would be fought in the background and if you put it off long enough it will resolve on it own. Is that “centered on the prot” or is the civil war being in a stalemate with no moving pieces until the player gets involved “centered on the prot” Dragons would start spawning regardless of me doing Dragon Rising. I don’t think that’s a player centric idea. The dark brotherhood should do things in the background except sending a clone army of female Khajiit’s after the player. Like if you don’t join or destroy the DB I think they should progress their quest line and the emperor should get assassinated off screen or something like that.

5 hours ago, Centurion said:

If I had my way, the civil war in Skyrim would progress with or with out the player. Territory would change hands or massive battle would be fought in the background and if you put it off long enough it will resolve on it own. Is that “centered on the prot” or is the civil war being in a stalemate with no moving pieces until the player gets involved “centered on the prot” Dragons would start spawning regardless of me doing Dragon Rising. I don’t think that’s a player centric idea. The dark brotherhood should do things in the background except sending a clone army of female Khajiit’s after the player. Like if you don’t join or destroy the DB I think they should progress their quest line and the emperor should get assassinated off screen or something like that.

I am mixed on this sort of thing. I like the idea of world progression that occurs independently of the protagonist, but not the player.

By that, I mean that I think the status of the world should have "triggers" to cause it to progress, rather than being on a timer that punishes you for taking too long.

So for the Titus Mede example, he can die even if we don’t join the Dark Brotherhood, but it won’t happen until after we’ve locked ourselves out of the questline by completing "Destroy Dark Brotherhood". Maybe give it two or three weeks after that, and have the rumors start going around that he’s been killed. That way, we don’t miss the chance for an entire questline just because we forgot to pause during one two many piss breaks  

New Vegas (I know, I know) did a decent job with this. The further you progress in  the MQ, the more the war ramps up around you. Lanius arrives with his Veterans from Colorado, the NCR gets off its ass and sends in the heavies. They don’t do this stuff in response to the Courier’s actions. They were gonna do it anyway. But it just so happens that the war doesn’t escalate that far until after you’ve completed a certain number of quests.

I think the timer concept can work great for games that are built around it. But TES ain’t that. 

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I am mixed on this sort of thing. I like the idea of world progression that occurs independently of the protagonist, but not the player.

By that, I mean that I think the status of the world should have "triggers" to cause it to progress, rather than being on a timer that punishes you for taking too long.

So for the Titus Mede example, he can die even if we don’t join the Dark Brotherhood, but it won’t happen until after we’ve locked ourselves out of the questline by completing "Destroy Dark Brotherhood". Maybe give it two or three weeks after that, and have the rumors start going around that he’s been killed. That way, we don’t miss the chance for an entire questline just because we forgot to pause during one two many piss breaks  

New Vegas (I know, I know) did a decent job with this. The further you progress in  the MQ, the more the war ramps up around you. Lanius arrives with his Veterans from Colorado, the NCR gets off its ass and sends in the heavies. They don’t do this stuff in response to the Courier’s actions. They were gonna do it anyway. But it just so happens that the war doesn’t escalate that far until after you’ve completed a certain number of quests.

I think the timer concept can work great for games that are built around it. But TES ain’t that. 

Or how the different moon phases changes the world tendency of the world ih Bloodborne. The player has to progress to get too it, but the world shifts around naturally alongside them. 

bloodborne_blood_moon_phases_by_epcp_dcq

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Timer/trigger system or whatever I just wish the was more fluidity to the world I guess

10 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

@The Good Doctor AMENSIA GAME SET IN WORLD WAR !

Hopefully it's better then the thing we are going to forget about after I mention it this once :realmad: 

WTF cause this influx of horror games.

Fi6S7blXEBcRINn?format=jpg&name=small

It's apparently "semi-open world".

"Amnesia: The Bunker is a first-person horror game from the makers of SOMA and Amnesia.

Left all alone in a desolate WW1 bunker with only one bullet remaining in the barrel, it’s up to you to face the oppressing terrors in the dark. Keep the lights on at all costs, persevere, and make your way out alive. A truly intense horror experience.

RISING TENSION
Immerse yourself in the multiple ways of tackling survival. In the shoes of the French soldier Henri Clément, you are armed with a revolver gun, a noisy dynamo flashlight, and other scarce supplies to scavenge and craft along the way. With randomization and unpredictable behavior, no play-through is the same.

Hunted by an ever-present threat reacting to your every move and sound, you must adapt your play-style to face hell. Every decision will change the outcome of how the game responds. Actions bear consequences.

ESCAPING THE NIGHTMARE
Solve things your own way in a semi-open world. You must explore and experiment to make your way out. Figure out what’s going on down here - what has happened to the other soldiers? Where have all the officers gone? What diabolical nightmare lurks underneath this hellscape? Unravel the mysteries of the Bunker and get to know the nooks and crannies of this cruel sandbox to up your odds of survival.

FEATURES
Dynamic and ever-present monster that reacts to player actions.
Constant tension - Time is not on your side.
Tactile and physics based interactions with the world.
Scavenge for resources and craft tools to aid your survival.
Multiple solutions to problem solving in a non-linear open world.|"

18 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

@The Good Doctor

Reveal hidden contents

Well damn, hate that the head honcho enforcer died so soon. I liked the character, it's like what Legend of Whorra tried to do with Togh's daughter, but much better and with one fifteenth the screen time XD

I'm not done with episode 3 yet, the forum got back online right around the time I got to that point.

Yeah, she was awesome for her short time in the story. I love the VA’s grizzled "carton a day" smoker voice. XD

Surprisingly nuanced too. The Enforcers are introduced as such an intimidating and malevolent force, then the first one we meet with a name is doing everything in her power, even striking deals with criminals and former rebels, to keep the peace despite the politicians demanding she bring them a scapegoat for what happens. She is experienced enough to know all the games and how to play them. 

Was really sad when Benzo died too. He had even less screen time than she did, but his and Vander’s dynamic felt like such a real and believable friendship between two world-weary men. 

Episode 3 is finished, I uh... didn't expect things to turn out that way.

Man it's the worst level of irony that they were on the verge of escaping, the chungus character took charge and broke through, Skinny Pete unlocked all the shit, and Violet for Vendetta kicked ass and held shit down just long enough.

Again, I reaaaaally didn't expect so many main character deaths so early. Gotta give the show credit, I'm thoroughly hooked.

Edited by TheCzarsHussar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Episode 3 is finished, I uh... didn't expect things to turn out that way.

Reveal hidden contents

Man it's the worst level of irony that they were on the verge of escaping, the chungus character took charge and broke through, Skinny Pete unlocked all the shit, and Violet for Vendetta kicked ass and held shit down just long enough.

Again, I reaaaaally didn't expect so many main character deaths so early. Gotta give the show credit, I'm thoroughly hooked.

Yeeeup. 

That ending was some Red Wedding levels of devastating. Completely took me by surprise and sets up everything that comes later brilliantly.

Pour one out for my boy, Vander. What a legend.

And the episode title is perfect and just dripping with irony: "The Base Violence Necessary for Change". 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Finished episode five.

Hide contents

I'm already calling it, Violet and Caitlyn are gonna be a couple :rofl:. They just cannot resist it, but so long as it won't be legend of whorra all over again I won't mind.

I'm honestly surprised the show didn't hook up Jayce with Mr. cough. XD

I won’t spoil anything, but I will say that nothing in this show is even nearly as poorly done, forced, or cowardly as what’s in LoK. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I won’t spoil anything, but I will say that nothing in this show is even nearly as poorly done, forced, or cowardly as what’s in LoK. 

It'd be hard to seep that low, like a real challenge.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

What do you think of:

Powder/Jinx and Victor? There aren’t  any bad characters in the show, but of the younger generation, these two are my favorites.

Silco and Vander?

I'm not a hundred percent on Jinxpowder yet, but of her archetype I'll give it full props that I'm not in a constant state of annoyance at her being on screen XD

I reckon she'll start growing on me at some point.

As for Viktor, I feel for the man. He's idealistic and on a very biological time limit, I was surprised by a complete lack of either jealously or resentment from either him or Jayce. They have the highest respect for one another, and from what we've been shown I assume Jayce never fails to want him to be right there with him as an equal partner. It's a breath of fresh air not seeing that tried, boring cliché.

Vander was awesome, and I wish we could have seen more of him. Silco strikes me as a sort of more intelligent Frank Fontaine (Bioshock in case you forgot it, heathen.)

I'm pretty invested in all the named characters.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

It'd be hard to seep that low, like a real challenge.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not a hundred percent on Jinxpowder yet, but of her archetype I'll give it full props that I'm not in a constant state of annoyance at her being on screen XD

I reckon she'll start growing on me at some point.

As for Viktor, I feel for the man. He's idealistic and on a very biological time limit, I was surprised by a complete lack of either jealously or resentment from either him or Jayce. They have the highest respect for one another, and from what we've been shown I assume Jayce never fails to want him to be right there with him as an equal partner. It's a breath of fresh air not seeing that tried, boring cliché.

Vander was awesome, and I wish we could have seen more of him. Silco strikes me as a sort of more intelligent Frank Fontaine (Bioshock in case you forgot it, heathen.)

I'm pretty invested in all the named characters.

40 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

They have the highest respect for one another, and from what we've been shown I assume Jayce never fails to want him to be right there with him as an equal partner. It's a breath of fresh air not seeing that tried, boring cliché.

Agreed. I was fully expecting to end up with a story of Jayce becoming the glory hound while Viktor is the genius who gets left behind and resents his friend for getting all the fame. Nope. Seems like both men are content in their roles, and very much wanting to share what they’ve built. Their biggest difference is in the motives driving them and possibly the lengths they’re willing to go.

Jayce grows on me a lot by the end. He has one of my favorite scenes later on. 

42 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Silco strikes me as a sort of more intelligent Frank Fontaine (Bioshock in case you forgot it, heathen.)

I’d say he’s a lot more convicted and idealistic than Frank. Despite his cruelty and dark methods, Silco is genuinely about the cause he supports. Frank is a man on a power trip.

But I do see the similarity in their sort of contradictory "anarchic revolutionary industrialist businessman" sort of archetype.