Soulsborne Thread #10

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I dunno, the Golden Order seems to be shaped as much by outsiders as they are by it. Sorcerer Rogier describes it as astonishingly pliable, saying that Raya Lucaria’s heretical traditions ended up getting accepted and adopted into the Golden Order.

In the words of Turtle Pope: "Heresy is not native to the world; it is but a contrivance."

The telescope says the true old ways of the Carian Starseekers basically ended when the Golden Order took charge, so I assume it got super-watered down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

The telescope says the true old ways of the Carian Starseekers basically ended when the Golden Order took charge, so I assume it got super-watered down. 

I assumed that particular element would’ve been Radahn’s doing, seeing as how he’s the one who literally locked the stars in place.

Which is funny because he is a native son of Liurnia. 

Back before I fully engrossed myself in the lore, I thought for certain the Erdtree and Golden Order were far more sinister then they let on. And while the Golden Order is fundamentally flawed as Goldmask discovered, it's also legitimately beneficial for humanity.

It becomes much harder to justify the benefits of the other endings to the Lands Between when you realize that whatever the true intentions of the Greater Will, it is the embodiment of order.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Back before I fully engrossed myself in the lore, I thought for certain the Erdtree and Golden Order were far more sinister then they let on. And while the Golden Order is fundamentally flawed as Goldmask discovered, it's also legitimately beneficial for humanity.

It becomes much harder to justify the benefits of the other endings to the Lands Between when you realize that whatever the true intentions of the Greater Will, it is the embodiment of order.

https://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/ref/letters_evil.html Read this if you believe order is always inherently good. 

They are though XD   There almost parasitic in a way. And that's not getting into what they do to Omens, the Travelers, and the Beastmen.  They ARE benevolent to those who live inside grace...but for those who don't 

I'm not blaming them for being an Imperialistic Empire that oppresses and kills those who get in it's way, because that's pretty much everyone in this kind of setting XD With all the bodies on it's hands, there's no moral highground to take. 

*Looks around to see if anyones here*

That's why we must TEAR IT ALL DOWN. All that there is came from the One Great. Then came fractures, and births, and souls. But the Greater Will made a mistake. Torment, despair, affliction... every sin, every curse. Every one, born of the mistake. And so, what was borrowed must be returned. Melt it all away, with the yellow chaos flame. Until all is One again. MAY CHAOS TAKE THE WORLD

• Haha 1

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

That was more or less my takeaway as well. The Golden Order is flawed but pliable and open to being improved. Every alternative is just a different level of extreme chaos.

I could see arguments for Miquella if he had an ending, but nobody else even proposes an alternative that’s remotely viable. 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

https://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/ref/letters_evil.html Read this if you believe order is always inherently good. 

They are though XD   There almost parasitic in a way. And that's not getting into what they do to Omens, the Travelers, and the Beastmen.  They ARE benevolent to those who live inside grace...but for those who don't 

I'm not blaming them for being an Imperialistic Empire that oppresses and kills those who get in it's way, because that's pretty much everyone in this kind of setting XD With all the bodies on it's hands, there's no moral highground to take. 

*Looks around to see if anyones here*

Hide contents

That's why we must TEAR IT ALL DOWN. All that there is came from the One Great. Then came fractures, and births, and souls. But the Greater Will made a mistake. Torment, despair, affliction... every sin, every curse. Every one, born of the mistake. And so, what was borrowed must be returned. Melt it all away, with the yellow chaos flame. Until all is One again. MAY CHAOS TAKE THE WORLD

Tarnished Archeologist's videos on the Lands Between's ancient history has definitely skewed my interpretation on the Erdtree.

I used to have the belief that the Crucible and Erdtree was a parasite of the Great Tree. But now I've been converted to the line of thought that the Crucible and all the rival branchings sprung up from the trunk of the destroyed Great Tree. Possibly even destroyed by the Fire Giants.

The Erdtree and Golden Order are by no means a benevolent and loving institution. There's absolutely no place for such things to the others, the outsiders when you are the embodiment of order. It either destroyed or converted everything that ever opposed it until a very very very brief time of unending splendor and abundance flowed from the land.

Then the Erdtree fucking burnt and all that's left is an illusion :rofl:

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That was more or less my takeaway as well. The Golden Order is flawed but pliable and open to being improved. Every alternative is just a different level of extreme chaos.

I could see arguments for Miquella if he had an ending, but nobody else even proposes an alternative that’s remotely viable. 

In both cut content and some of the things Tarnished Archeologist touched on, there appeared to have been an intended transition of power from Marika to Miquella. That she knowingly desired s replacement for the established order.

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Parasites only exist to drain the resources of their hosts. I don’t see how that’s what’s happening here.

Many were persecuted, sure. But many others thrived, and the Golden Order was always changing and improving, letting more in, taking good and destroying bad. Rogier, Turtle Pope, most Tarnished, presumably Godfrey, and even the great Kenneth Haight all suggest that room can be made within the Golden Order for those who were wronged. It just takes time, effort, and sacrifice in order to fix it (which can, through extreme efforts, produce a Mending Rune).

Despite the major flaws and how long they take to deal with, I still think that sounds better than throwing the world into a war-torn hellscape like Ranni did, all for the sake of tearing down all institutions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

For me there was a dozen moments in relation to the Golden Order that made a certain...Hunter come to mind

""Not a pretty sight, is it? The true face of the blood-worshiping, beast-purging Healing Church."

The Golden Order is at least good for those who are adherent to it. The Healing Church literally destroyed everything and everyone in its folly. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Parasites only exist to drain the resources of their hosts. I don’t see how that’s what’s happening here.

Many were persecuted, sure. But many others thrived, and the Golden Order was always changing and improving, letting more in, taking good and destroying bad. Rogier, Turtle Pope, most Tarnished, presumably Godfrey, and even the great Kenneth Haight all suggest that room can be made within the Golden Order for those who were wronged. It just takes time, effort, and sacrifice in order to fix it (which can, through extreme efforts, produce a Mending Rune).

Despite the major flaws and how long they take to deal with, I still think that sounds better than throwing the world into a war-torn hellscape like Ranni did, all for the sake of tearing down all institutions.

Like sealing an entire ethnic group of people in a secret underground chamber to an eternity of agony just for not wanting to be part of it, and cause such an influx of nightmarish suffering and pain, they call upon anything to listen to their pleas...and in the darkness for something to actually listen XD What was the point of that?

I saw we should just let Mohg rule. Why vote for the lesser evil XD He'd probably be a pretty efficient ruler. 

• Haha 2

Here's a question for you nerds. Do you think Ranni anticipated Marika destroying the Elden Ring?

I don’t think anybody did, personally.

Kinda like how Sauron wasn’t ready for the Fellowship’s plan in LotR because neither he nor anybody outside the secret council ever dreamed that someone would actually want to destroy the Ring instead of using it. 

Reveal hidden contents

Like sealing an entire ethnic group of people in a secret underground chamber to an eternity of agony just for not wanting to be part of it, and cause such an influx of nightmarish suffering and pain, they call upon anything to listen to their pleas...and in the darkness for something to actually listen XD What was the point of that?

I saw we should just let Mohg rule. Why vote for the lesser evil XD He'd probably be a pretty efficient ruler. 

Real talk. What the fuck would Lord Mohg’s empire even look like? 

Hide contents

Have you seen his subjects? That'd be a horrifying state of living hell.

Have you seen his subjects? That'd be a horrifying state of living hell.

I don't know, Mohg seems actually quite pragmatic. 

Like how he's engaged in a pact with his brothers to prevent you know what from destroying his land before he can ruler and conquer it.

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Weird fucking statues of this everywhere 

XD

vjnbax383vv81.jpg?auto=webp&s=e39b4fd8a9

• Haha 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

A Theocracy no doubt, replacing the worship of the Erdtree with the Formless Mother. Mohg wouldn't technically be the ruler of this empire, but would in practice be.

A really twisted mirror of how the Elden Lord is subordinate to Marika, as a consort. 

The nobility is already established, who are Omens as seen by their horns. But Tarnished can be elevated as shown by the two invaders in the nobility 

• Like 1

I don't know, Mohg seems actually quite pragmatic. 

Hide contents

Like how he's engaged in a pact with his brothers to prevent you know what from destroying his land before he can ruler and conquer it.

Hide contents

Weird fucking statues of this everywhere 

XD

vjnbax383vv81.jpg?auto=webp&s=e39b4fd8a9

I find it hilarious how he speaks all soft and lovingly to Miquella, but then gets all deep and raspy voices when speaking to the player.