Soulsborne Thread #10

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Again pretty much every Demigod could be the main baddie in there own game XD

Not sure I agree.

Malenia is closer to an archetypical hero than any sort of baddie. It’s actually a little strange that she is even so insistent on fighting us.

Ranni is cringey as hell but she’s supposed to be at least kind of a good guy.

Rotten Radahn, Rykard, and Godrick are too much of sideshows to be the big bads.

Agreed on Morgott for a more sympathetic main villain.

Mohg, though? Dude is big bad evil dark lord incarnate. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

How so?

Hide contents

We just see him carrying Miq away. No real indication of when it’s happening relative to anything else.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that’s the most likely scenario, but I don’t think there is proof either way. 

Mohg kidnapped Miquella during the Shattering War, which was primarily fought between Malenia and Radahn. Also with battles between Godrick and Radahn's armies with either Morgott specifically for the latter and all of Leyndell for the former.

So correction, there's the possibility that Malenia stayed out of it early on but I personally see her as a major player from the start. At least in the era when the alliance between the three of them broke down.

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Not sure I agree.

Hide contents

Malenia is closer to an archetypical hero than any sort of baddie. It’s actually a little strange that she is even so insistent on fighting us.

Ranni is cringey as hell but she’s supposed to be at least kind of a good guy.

Rotten Radahn, Rykard, and Godrick are too much of sideshows to be the big bads.

Agreed on Morgott for a more sympathetic main villain.

Mohg, though? Dude is big bad evil dark lord incarnate. 

I used to consider Ranni not all that bad for the Lands Between, but I've come to consider her a very bad change in the established order. If she's intent to completely dismantle all that came before to establish her Age of the Stars, that sounds like an incredibly violent transition.

People are just simping too hard to realize it

• Like 1

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

Hide contents

Mohg kidnapped Miquella during the Shattering War, which was primarily fought between Malenia and Radahn. Also with battles between Godrick and Radahn's armies with either Morgott specifically for the latter and all of Leyndell for the former.

So correction, there's the possibility that Malenia stayed out of it early on but I personally see her as a major player from the start. At least in the era when the alliance between the three of them broke down.

I don’t believe the Shattering wars were primarily between Malenia and Radahn. In fact, their clash was the last great battle of the whole period. Wouldn’t be surprised if Malenia was the last demigod to even participate, since she seems the least ambitious and would’ve had Miq around (at first) to temper her.

I think the bulk of the Shattering would’ve been between Leyndell, the Golden Lineage, Radahn, and eventually Rykard, with Liurnia being the sight of most the fighting (based on its war-torn state and position in the middle). With Malenia sweeping in on her brutal march south towards the end. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Hide contents

I used to consider Ranni not all that bad for the Lands Between, but I've come to consider her a very bad change in the established order. If she's intent to completely dismantle all that came before to establish her Age of the Stars, that sounds like an incredibly violent transition.

People are just simping too hard to realize it

Agreed on the simping. XD 

If Ranni was the Courier, she would support the Wild Card ending of New Vegas. But like the worst case scenario version where she cripples Hoover Dam, disables the securitrons, doesn’t do any side quests, and doesn’t put any thought or effort into ensuring the Mojave can sustain or defend itself afterwards.

She is a radical anarchist and antitheist in a world where both order and gods have important roles to play.

And I still have never gotten an answer from anyone as to what is keeping Shabriri from just sending someone into the Frenzied Flame basement and doing that whole shebang as soon as Ranni and her Lord have completely dismantled every single institution and guardian that was protecting the Lands Between from their ilk. 

Like, the door is literally wide open now, and no one is even guarding it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

But weapon art spam seems to still be king lol unless I go full sorcery

Even then, some of the staff weapon arts are solid. The Carian Regal scepter has this really cool spinning attack with bonus range that hits really fast and benefits from the Winged Sword talismans. You can put out some mean DPS with that thing at close range.

But yeah, sorcery is so versatile and powerful that it’d be wasted on exclusively spamming ashes of war. 

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

If Ranni was the Courier, she would support the Wild Card ending of New Vegas. But like the worst case scenario version where she cripples Hoover Dam, disables the securitrons, doesn’t do any side quests, and doesn’t put any thought or effort into ensuring the Mojave can sustain or defend itself afterwards.

She is a radical anarchist and antitheist in a world where both order and gods have important roles to play.

And I still have never gotten an answer from anyone as to what is keeping Shabriri from just sending someone into the Frenzied Flame basement and doing that whole shebang as soon as Ranni and her Lord have completely dismantled every single institution and guardian that was protecting the Lands Between from their ilk. 

If you put it that way; she kinda is a female version of Dutch XD

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Reveal hidden contents

Also, if you asked Courier Ranni why she got on this crazy path, she’d say some BS about how her suite in the Lucky 38 was a gilded cage as if that justifies all the murder and chaos she’s wrought.

My opinion of Ranni, I still think she's a pretty cool and well developed character. 

I mean we can bring up how "horrible" it is to be literal royalty whose dotted upon, born into wealth and prestige, have the entire world being given to you on a silver plate and how cruel it is to force this on someone 

XD But honestly, I think Gilded Cage is an apt description. Just look at our wolf-bro, your closest friend, and step-brother secondary purpose is to go crazy and kill you if you ever think to betray an order that subjected and destroyed your people's unique culture at the edge of a sword, conspired against your beloved mother, practically broke your family apart with it's machinations. 

I'm not saying Ranni is a remotely good person, but why shouldn't she despise a God and it's order who did this to you. She's throwing a tantrum and lashing out against the thing that destroyed the soul of Caria. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

She's throwing a tantrum and lashing out against the thing that destroyed the soul of Caria. 

What did they do to Caria? I thought it held out.

Seems like the Shattering did more damage to Caria and Liurnia as a whole than the Golden Order ever could have. And that was her fault. 

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

What did they do to Caria? I thought it held out.

Seems like the Shattering did more damage to Caria and Liurnia as a whole than the Golden Order ever could have. And that was her fault. 

It did what the Golden Order does to groups who oppose it, and then they "incorporate it into the Empire" when they realize there strong enough to resist outright; dominate  it with a semblance of "unity" and subvert it by gradually removing what makes it unique and turning into "GO lite" where Caria is allowed to exist...in a diminished form subservient to the Greater Will  XD At least that's how I saw the so-called "union". 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's like "We gave you a crown!"

"I had a crown, a crown that was ours alone and you've twisted to suit yourself, and then you put a collar on my throat connected to my brother whose going to tear me apart if I don't do what you say!"

Maybe if momma hadn't simped for Radagon's golden pecks none of that would have happened. I don't think the Golden Order made much more leeway in the second Liurnian War then the first.

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Maybe if momma hadn't simped for Radagon's golden pecks none of that would have happened. I don't think the Golden Order made much more leeway in the second Liurnian War then the first.

Cause they didn't have Godfrey and his army of crucible powered super soldiers anymore XD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It did what the Golden Order does to groups who oppose it, and then they "incorporate it into the Empire" when they realize there strong enough to resist outright; dominate  it with a semblance of "unity" and subvert it by gradually removing what makes it unique and turning into "GO lite" where Caria is allowed to exist...in a diminished form subservient to the Greater Will  XD At least that's how I saw the so-called "union". 

I dunno, the Golden Order seems to be shaped as much by outsiders as they are by it. Sorcerer Rogier describes it as astonishingly pliable, saying that Raya Lucaria’s heretical traditions ended up getting accepted and adopted into the Golden Order.

In the words of Turtle Pope: "Heresy is not native to the world; it is but a contrivance."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's like "We gave you a crown!"

"I had a crown, a crown that was ours alone and you've twisted to suit yourself, and then you put a collar on my throat connected to my brother whose going to tear me apart if I don't do what you say!"

She couldn’t have had a crown back then because she didn’t yet exist. Her father is Radagon. She would’ve been conceived after his and Rennala’s marriage.