Soulsborne Thread #10

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

thats reassuring cause i was wondering if I'd run out of upgrade material lol

It will be a loooong time before you get to this point, but eventually all upgrade materials will become infinite except for the max level ones that get you to +10 (somber) or +25 (normal). 

It is possible to get all of your weapons to +9 and +24. 

• Like 1

This is honestly the souls game balrogs been waiting for lol the one that actually stands up with witcher and elder scrolls.

I still say witcher 3 overall is my fav but you can at least still begin the conversation of comparison due to the customization and open world. Exploration wise its also comparable and tbh and in some ways better than Skyrim only because there's so much to uncover and so much that is useful to find. Exploration doesn't feel like a waste at all, and you get taken to crazy af locations potentially early on

Also the dragons are cooler lmao, as is the character customization.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Curved swords and curved greatswords both have really cool looking movesets. I think that visually, my favorite looking moveset is the alternate greatsword moveset. Unfortunately, very few weapons have it. I know D’s sword, the Inseparable Greatsword, is one that does. 

It looks really powerful, but with a little more skill and finesse and less like your guy is unga bunga swinging around a long piece of rebar with concrete at the end. XD Same reason I like the curved greatswords.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

This is honestly the souls game balrogs been waiting for lol the one that actually stands up with witcher and elder scrolls.

I still say witcher 3 overall is my fav but you can at least still begin the conversation of comparison due to the customization and open world. Exploration wise its also comparable and tbh and in some ways better than Skyrim only because there's so much to uncover and so much that is useful to find. Exploration doesn't feel like a waste at all, and you get taken to crazy af locations potentially early on

Als the dragons are cooler lmao, as is the character customization.

My favorite Soul games was never any of the Dark Souls titles XD

full-moon-bloodborne.gif

Now that i've matured past "let's have a forum pissing contest" it was never a really good idea to compare them, BB/Demon's/Dark were always 3D Metroidvania/ARPG's with super different design goals  XD

I agree though, Elden Ring is much more in line with Witcher/Elder Scrolls as games (even if once again, they have pretty different design goals) Miyazaki always insisted the game was open-field, rather then open-world. The World-Space is so interesting because the game has such different and unique design encounters throughout the entire map, and your pretty much rewarded for every nook and cranny you find.

Me and Doc talked about this; FROMSOFT is not afraid of putting content in the game the majority of players will never see, (and it's been true since Demon's) and using that philosophy  in Elden ring too such a massive scale, is why I think it's much better then any open world Bethsda has made in the last fifteen years. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Exploration doesn't feel like a waste at all, and you get taken to crazy af locations potentially early on

This is a biggie for me. Even when you find something you can’t or won’t use, half the time it makes you go "oooh, gotta remember this cause I definitely wanna play with it on another build".

It’s like if every dungeon in Skyrim had a daedric artifact at the end, so you ended up with hundreds of unique playstyles instead of everybody reaching the same three end points.

So much more satisfying than wasting thirty minutes on a ruin only to get 200 gold, a ruby, and a Dwemer War Axe of flame that you will never use. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Me and Doc talked about this; FROMSOFT is not afraid of putting content in the game the majority of players will never see

It makes finding things feel so much more rewarding.

Granted, it can also make looking for things be a huge pain in the neck. There are a couple quest lines that are absurdly obscure. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Bloodborne still wears the crown for me as well. It’s so tight and nails almost everything it attempts (except a handful of shitty bosses XD).

Though I do find Elden Ring to be more replayable. It has way more of, well… everything, which includes more flaws. 

Witch of Hemick has SOUL 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

With Old Hunters installed, no question. I'm waiting for the DLC for ER before I rank it, but even in it's state right now it's comparable. 

If ER’s DLC is of the same quality as Old Hunters, but bigger and more of them, then that might tip the scale.

Maybe…

Bloodborne is really, really good. The whole Van Helsing vs Cthulhu thing is something we’ll probably never get again, and almost certainly not executed so well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

If ER’s DLC is of the same quality as Old Hunters, but bigger and more of them, then that might tip the scale.

Maybe…

Bloodborne is really, really good. The whole Van Helsing vs Cthulhu thing is something we’ll probably never get again, and almost certainly not executed so well. 

Bloodborne is so good, i'd rank it on the very top somewhere of the Gothic Horror genre as a whole, not just including games XD It's very rare to see a game reivent and present such old and tired tropes as fresh and frightening as BB did 

• Like 2

But besides having two of my least favorite bosses in a Fromsoft game, Bloodborne also has two of my favorites. Maria and the Orphan of Kos. None of Elden Ring’s bosses reach their heights for me.

But to be fair, they are both from the DLC. The best bosses in Elden Ring’s base game are far better than any in Bloodborne (except Father Gascoigne and Gehrman). Perhaps Elden Ring will come strong in the DLC like Bloodborne did, and things will change.

• Like 1

What's funny is  if I was to put a top fifteen boss list, I'd probably have 90 percent FROM bosses in it, and pretty much every game but Demon's Souls would be represented in it (And Demon's Souls STILL has some really good bosses that hold up). In overall quality, I dont think anyone else can even compare XD

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

What's funny is  if I was to put a top fifteen boss list, I'd probably have 90 percent FROM bosses in it, and pretty much every game but Demon's Souls would be represented in it (And Demon's Souls STILL has some really good bosses that hold up). In overall quality, I dont think anyone else can even compare XD

Flamelurker haunts my 20 fps emulator nightmares 

26 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

But besides having two of my least favorite bosses in a Fromsoft game, Bloodborne also has two of my favorites. Maria and the Orphan of Kos. None of Elden Ring’s bosses reach their heights for me.

But to be fair, they are both from the DLC. The best bosses in Elden Ring’s base game are far better than any in Bloodborne (except Father Gascoigne and Gehrman). Perhaps Elden Ring will come strong in the DLC like Bloodborne did, and things will change.

I think this badass deserves a spot amongst the truly greats.  
ESt5cbAUUAMFNW-?format=jpg&name=large

"Acts of goodness are not always wise, and acts of evil are not always foolish, but regardless, we shall always strive to be good."

• Like 2

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I think this badass deserves a spot amongst the truly greats.  
ESt5cbAUUAMFNW-?format=jpg&name=large

"Acts of goodness are not always wise, and acts of evil are not always foolish, but regardless, we shall always strive to be good."

He's the living carnation of refusing to die simply by being too badass

Objective tier list of all the best bosses in all the games worth playing:

Transcendent

Soldier of Godrick, Mimic Tear

Best

Maria, Orphan of Kos, Slave Knight Gael

Really Damn Good

Gwyn, Artorias, Gehrman, Nameless King, Soul of Cinder, Sister Friede, Radahn, Fire Giant, Senator Armstrong, Maliketh

Damn Good

Ornstein and Smough, Father Gascoigne, Ludwig, Abyss Watchers, Dancer of the Borreal Valley, Twin Princes, Godrick, Mohg, Malenia, Dragonlord Placidusax

Pretty Damn Good

Kalameet, Manus, Martyr Logarius, Pontiff Sulyvahn, Aldrich, Dragonslayer Armor, Demon Prince, Morgott, Godskin Apostle, Regal Ancestor Spirit, Astel, Alecto

• Like 2

Which Dark Souls bosses do you think could have made it through all of Elden Rings?

My top vote would be Slave Knight Gael, he ground the entire world to dust for the dark soul. Dying untold (probably) millions of times but never failing nor succumbing to the curse.

If ever there was a boss that could take on the likes of Malenia, Godfrey and Radagon it'd be him.

Pre-Hollow Gwyn doesn't count XD

Edited by TheCzarsHussar

11 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Which Dark Souls bosses do you think could have made it through all of Elden Rings?

My top vote would be Slave Knight Gael, he ground the entire world to dust for the dark soul. Dying untold (probably) millions of times but never failing nor succumbing to the curse.

If ever there was a boss that could take on the likes of Malenia, Godfrey and Radagon it'd be him.

Pre-Hollow Gwyn doesn't count XD

I'd argue that Nameless King would also have a pretty good chance, he's comparable to the Demi-Gods., and i'd argue his Storm-drake would give him a huge edge, alongside his own innate skill.