Soulsborne Thread #10

3 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Oooh nice, got any screenshots to go with them? Certainly the great and wise Doc didn't go with default faces XD

No screenshots at the moment. I did do some writeups like yours but then I answered a phone call and when I reopened the page, all that I typed had disappeared so I said screw it and just listed the names. XD Maybe later. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

No screenshots at the moment. I did do some writeups like yours but then I answered a phone call and when I reopened the page, all that I typed had disappeared so I said screw it and just listed the names. XD Maybe later. 

Shit, I was gonna see if you had any lore attached to the characters. That sucks bro lmao

12 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Shit, I was gonna see if you had any lore attached to the characters. That sucks bro lmao

Reordered a couple of these because I had messed up the timeline in my head. Their visible age is not based on when they were born, but how long they survived until their inevitable death beyond the Fog.

Godskin Seeker- A banished spawn of the Gloam Eyed Queen who has returned to the Lands Between seeking Her Majesty's sword with hopes that it will unseal the Black Flame and bring death to the gods.
-Godskin weaponry and black flame incantations, with the end goal of obtaining the Godslayer Greatsword.

Iron Ekkart- A vassal of the ancient Storm Lord who recognizes strength above all else and swore fealty to Godfrey after he conquered Limgrave and defeated their lord. He served in Godfrey's army throughout its conquests and banishment. 
-Whatever gear he can scavenge, preferring flails and axes with storm AoWs, and a crossbow for long ranges.

Captain Derrin- An Aeonian native and veteran of Radahn's conquests who was part of a Redmane attaché to Godfrey's forces. He returned to find his homeland ravaged by the Scarlet Rot, and has dedicated his life to defending what little remains of it. He clings to a fleeting hope that he might one day find the cursed sister who is responsible for it all and bring her to justice.
-Swords and rapiers with gravity and fire-based AoWs, making use of many tools and and utility incantations.

Borgun the Red- A brutal mercenary from Kaiden who is always in search of his next great foe. He came to the Lands Between to partake in the vanquishing of the Giants, and willingly followed Godfrey to the Badlands, eager to find out what the madman would lead them to next.
-Curved greatswords supplemented by the giant-felling frost incantations of Zamor.

Lord Abelric- A vagabond knight of no import, born to a long-forgotten house in a region that no longer matters. He was young when the Tarnished were exiled, but was old and grizzled when he died, having fought and wandered the Badlands for more years than he can recall.
-Swords, greatswords, and twinblades with heavy use of the Dragon and Lord's incantations. 

Black Knife Myra- The unproven daughter of a Black Knife Assassin. She was raised in her mother's ways, and planted herself among Godfrey's host to get close to what would be her first mark. When Marika ordered their exile, she followed them beyond the Fog, unwilling to let her prey escape.
-Black Knife dagger supplemented by darkness and assassin-based incants, wears Black Knife cloak to further obscure movement.

Savros of Caria- A young and promising ward who grew up in the shadow of the legendary knight who took him in. Despite his promise as an astrologer, he always craved the glories of knighthood, and stole away with Godfrey's army in an effort to make a name for himself. He found more than he bargained for, and fell early in their exile.
-Carian longsword and Royal Scepter, with all manner of sorceries and a particular affinity for the full moon.

Kidda the Wolf- A tracker from the Badlands, one of many born into the tribe of Horah Loux long after their Tarnished ancestors arrived in that land. These brave cubs were raised on tales of a golden homeland that they would one day return to.
-Claw weapons up close, spears at range, and beast incantations throughout.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Old Theudofrid is straight up an rp insert, I have no lore fitting him in the setting XD

Iron Ekkart is my "Boldir" character. He’s not just an RP insert, because I wrote him a backstory that fits into ER, but it was the inspiration. Just a big axe-wielding tank with "Iron" in his name who uses no spells and looks about the same. 

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Iron Ekkart is my "Boldir" character. He’s not just an RP insert, because I wrote him a backstory that fits into ER, but it was the inspiration. Just a big axe-wielding tank with "Iron" in his name who uses no spells and looks about the same. 

Mine isnt a one to one insert. Old Theudofrid rocks a creepy light roll setup, with the Royal staff and glintstone Kris.

RPeudofrid would certainly not be rocking light roll and dagger should he go to war XD

Now that some time has passed, how do y’all’s rankings look for the aboveground regions? Is Caelid still the king? Personally, I think it’s one of the best locations Fromsoft has ever made.

Caelid
Altus Plateau
Consecrated Snowfield
Mountaintops of the Giants
Liurnia of the Lakes
Crumbling Farum Azula
Miquella's Haligtree
Limgrave
Mt. Gelmir
Weeping Peninsula
Forbidden Lands

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Now that some time has passed, how do y’all’s rankings look for the aboveground regions? Is Caelid still the king? Personally, I think it’s one of the best locations Fromsoft has ever made.

Caelid
Altus Plateau
Consecrated Snowfield
Mountaintops of the Giants
Liurnia of the Lakes
Crumbling Farum Azula
Miquella's Haligtree
Limgrave
Mt. Gelmir
Weeping Peninsula
Forbidden Lands

Miquella's Haligtree and Crumbling Farum Azula are considered Legacy Dungeons so I don't group them. 

In terms of Overworld i'd rank it 

Caelid (The whole Redmane/Cleanrot subplot is, as far as i'm concerned is some of the greatest lore stuff they'd done, it's amazing world building that they fully intergrate into the story as well as the gameplay. Area itself is a 10/10 clusterfuck) 

Altus Plateau (And Leydell is the best legacy dungeon by far) 

Liurnia of the Lakes

Limgrave

Mt Gelmir 

Conscerated Snowfield 

Mountaintops of the Giant 

Weeping Peninsula 

What's crazy is even the last areas are pretty good, I always do them (I love the Castle Mourne sidequest/story). There just overshadowed. There's nothing close to Lost Izilieth in the game for me XD

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

(The whole Redmane/Cleanrot subplot is, as far as i'm concerned is some of the greatest lore stuff they'd done, it's amazing world building that they fully intergrate into the story as well as the gameplay. Area itself is a 10/10 clusterfuck) 

I agree. Literally every direction you look in illustrates the story of what happened there. The landscape, the enemies, the fortresses and ruins, there are so many stories contained within it, and they all tie back into the larger one of what happened during the great battle.

And as far as post apocalyptic hellscapes go, Caelid is easily one of the most unique that I have seen. 

36 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Conscerated Snowfield 

I think this one doesn’t get enough credit, personally. I love how harsh it is, and how you start out in a blizzard that is easy to get lost in. Really drives home what it must have been like for all the wayward mobs who got lost trying to find the fabled Haligtree.

Plus, once you get away from the storm, the area is really quite gorgeous.

Caelid gang represent. Definitely agree it's the best area From has ever designed. The atmosphere, world building and sheer body horror inflicted to the landscape is unforgettable.

Mountaintops of the Giants. It struck me with awe when I first explored this place. I still liken it to what exploring a dead Atmora would feel like. Consecrated Snowfield didn't convey the same presence, here it felt sacred and a entrance into something majestic. Mountaintops was a mass tomb, the final battleground of the primordial world.

Altus Plateau

Liurnia

Limgrave

Concentrated Snowfield

Mt Gelmir

Weeping Peninsula 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Consecrated Snowfield didn't convey the same presence,

Agreed. But I don’t think it was trying to. MotG is like you said, this colossal tomb of the old world that fills you with awe and sadness.

CS is a wasteland. The brutal last leg of a dangerous exodus that oppressed peoples must push through in order to reach the warm embrace of Miquella's "promise land". It is a wasteland, populated almost entirely by poor souls who were lost and left behind, or those who intentionally remained to guard their haven from pursuing enemies.

I just love the story and themes behind it. But honestly, for me the two are neck-and-neck. Granted MotG doesn’t have that awful ghost archer town…

• Like 1