Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #1

1 minute ago, Celan said:

Sorry, PJ just ruined The Hobbit. It was supposed to be a children's story really, much shorter than LOTR, and he had to go and add a bunch of silly crap. But I guess if you watch them entirely as sword and sorcery fantasy-horror unconnected to Middle Earth, they're entertaining enough.

Yea I don’t care as much as y’all do about book to movie interpretation, it was super entertaining for me. 

I get where you’re coming from though but I couldn’t care less about that.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

There is a condensed version that cut out the Gandalf side quest, the love triangle, and a bunch of other things with the goal of making one four hour movie that is more like the book than the three four hour movies. 

https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/

I’ll have to check this out. I knew there were a few fan edits around but this one seems pretty good. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Yea I don’t care as much as y’all do about book to movie interpretation, it was super entertaining for me. 

I get where you’re coming from though but I couldn’t care less about that.

To be honest, that’s not the only reason for me. It’s an entertaining fantasy trilogy, but even putting the books aside, I don’t think it’s nearly as good as the LotR trilogy. Bilbo and Thorin basically carried it.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

To be honest, that’s not the only reason for me. It’s an entertaining fantasy trilogy, but even putting the books aside, I don’t think it’s nearly as good as the LotR trilogy. Bilbo and Thorin basically carried it.

I loved Smaug as well, and the other dwarves. Tbh I enjoyed that movie beginning to end far more than I did LOTR. I didn’t find the Orcs as interesting in the first trilogy either.

I liked Legolas a lot more in the Hobbit too, and that they made him more of a character instead of just a pretty boy elf that does tricks with his bow. The Hobbit for me made me appreciate the LOTR movies much more. It made me want to watch it’s extended cut.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I loved Smaug as well, and the other dwarves. Tbh I enjoyed that movie beginning to end far more than I did LOTR. I didn’t find the Orcs as interesting in the first trilogy either.

I almost mentioned Smaug, because he was good, but like 30 minutes of dragon time spread across two movies in a 9-12 hour trilogy is just not enough. To me, the movies were just way too bloated.

I liked the fellowship and other characters better as well. Each member had lots of personality and screentime with plenty of interesting dynamics between them. With the Dwarf crew, we had Thorin and Bilbo, Balin behind them, and then everyone else kinda on the sidelines of their story. I could tell you all of the dwarves’ names by memory, but there’s no way I could match them all to the faces in the movie.

The Hobbit isn't the fault of Jackson. Essentially the studio BULLIED him into doing alot of shit he didn't want to do. The over extensive use of CGI? The studio. The romance? The studio. All the padding? The Studio.

When asked how excited he was to see the finished movie, Peter said, something along the lines, "I'm very worried I wont recongise it."

I'm a fan of the trilogy...as a popcorn flick. I love high production value fantasy movies. It's just way too fucking bloated. 

Hell if Gulimero Del Toro couldn't save it, nobody could save it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

For example, Bolg used to be played by an actor

SmaugOrc1.jpg

But they changed it to a CGI model later on in production. Why?! CGI is nothing compared to practical effects. The studio nearly ruined the movies.

I think the cgi model is better tbh. He looked more unique. A lot of those Orcs looked too samey which is why I wasn’t as impressed as everyone else.

18 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

‘Specially because CGI Azog was Crixus the motherfucking undefeated Gaul.

They could have given him a suit to work with.  Like with Sauron. I think this was supposed to be him

hEWquDd.png

Bolg was supposed to be the big bad...but no they had to go with Azog (whose supposed to be dead)

BTW Kindom Come Delievance (I think Czar mentioned it a few weeks ago) looks...neat. LOl it's caused the SJW's to scream, which is every day business. I've heard some...things about the lead dev, but I feel there's no problem with separating a creator and their work. (Like with ole Lovecraft) 

Worried about a few things, but I think I might buy it when it comes out. Very unique anyway, being a historical RPG (With no monsters....) but it seems there's a little euro jank...

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I watched the new Cloverfield movie on Netflix. Meh. I know that the idea behind these is to basically make each movie completely unique from the others, but I liked what was done with the first two better. 

That's a bloody light way of putting it. It was god damn awful! Especially compared to the first two...should have watched the ritual XD

14 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That's a bloody light way of putting it. It was god damn awful! Especially compared to the first two...should have watched the ritual XD

XD I hadn’t seen any reviews or anything so I had high expectations as a fan of the other two. Especially 10 CF Lane, which was one of my favorite movies that year. Makes sense now why this one went straight to Netflix instead of theaters.

After reading up on it online to see if I could make sense of what I just watched, I’m even more convinced that the movie just didn’t even try to make any damn sense. Maybe that was the point, but “interdimensional chaos” is a cheap way to handwave all the inconsistencies. Like, why did all the “chaos” shit just stop happening 3/4 into the movie with no acknowledgement? What the hell was going on with the Russian guy? How did that bitch end up on their station when the one in her universe was on the other side of the Solar System? I could go on... like, for a while.

It felt like they tried to pull some Rick and Morty “don’t think about it” bullshit. Which works in a cartoon, but not in an interconnecting series of movies.

Hell, I’d say that even though Rick and Morty pulls out that excuse as a gag, it actually maintains a lot more internal consistency and logic than this movie did.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

XD I hadn’t seen any reviews or anything so I had high expectations as a fan of the other two. Especially 10 CF Lane, which was one of my favorite movies that year. Makes sense now why this one went straight to Netflix instead of theaters.

Hide contents

After reading up on it online to see if I could make sense of what I just watched, I’m even more convinced that the movie just didn’t even try to make any damn sense. Maybe that was the point, but “interdimensional chaos” is a cheap way to handwave all the inconsistencies. Like, why did all the “chaos” shit just stop happening 3/4 into the movie with no acknowledgement? What the hell was going on with the Russian guy? How did that bitch end up on their station when the one in her universe was on the other side of the Solar System?

It's a reference to Azanoth the Daemon Sultan from the Cthulhu Mythos, the most powerful entity in existence, who is often referred as that or "ultimate chaos"

lovecraft___azathoth__demon_sultan_by_ki

I feel it tried way hard to be Lovecraftian horror...and fell flat on it's head. The acting was subpar, the plot a confusing mess, the atmosphere was bad. Yuck...

12 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's a reference to Azanoth the Daemon Sultan from the Cthulhu Mythos, the most powerful entity in existence, who is often referred as that or "ultimate chaos"

I’m not sure it was. I read that it was supposed to be an answer to the Fermi Paradox, the superpredator one, which made a lot of sense to me as an explanation for what was going on overall, but in either case, it was inconsistent. The chaos shit could’ve worked, and was even one of the best parts of the movie early on, but it felt like the idea got dropped 3/4 in and the writers just forgot about it. 

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I will say...the ending was pretty great. It gave me a smile, to finally see it after so long.

He got a LOT bigger. XD Like, he went from Godzilla-sized to Mt. Everest.

In general, the stuff on Earth was more entertaining to me. Too bad it only made up like fifteen minutes of the movie.