Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I didn’t understand this at all. Like, if the loophole is THAT freaking obvious, they might as well just handwave that shit anyway.

Not saying they should, but the whole thing was just stupid.

I don't think it was a loophole so much as part of the punishment that they don't get to rep their country. No Russian flag, not national colors, medals don't count towards Russia's total, etc. But it does strike me as ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Weren't the Russian athletes allowed to go the games, but only as free lance athletes? I thought they weren't allowed to represent the motherland?

Their team is literally the Olympic Athletes from Russia instead of just Russia. It just seems like such a silly loophole to me. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Their team is literally the Olympic Athletes from Russia instead of just Russia. It just seems like such a silly loophole to me. 

It’s pretty funny though. Like “A Pimp named Slickback”, or “THE Ohio State University”.

• Haha 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

2 minutes ago, BTCollins said:

I don't think it was a loophole so much as part of the punishment that they don't get to rep their country. No Russian flag, not national colors, medals don't count towards Russia's total, etc. But it does strike me as ridiculous. 

You just know that the Russians are sure as shit gonna count them though. 

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That’s cool and all but there’s not much else to talk about. I love Azathoth as a concept in the background but Nyar is in the trenches.

Plus, how cool is it that he canonically can literally be any character from any universe that fits the bill?

Slenderman

The Stranger Things Hive Mind

Gaunter O’Dimm

Randall Flagg

Stephen King said, after endless questions from his fans, Randall Flagg was heavily inspired by Narly, but he wasn't him himself XD

I like the interpretation of Slenderman being him though. Acts like him too (fucking with his preys mind, driving them to near madness, before going in and bringing them to a fate worse then death) 

But yeah, besides the Big C, Narly is easily Lovecrat's most iconic character, and he's the one people seem to take so much inspiration from.

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Stephen King said, after endless questions from his fans, Randall Flagg was heavily inspired by Narly, but he wasn't him himself XD

I like the interpretation of Slenderman being him though. Acts like him too (fucking with his preys mind, driving them to near madness, before going in and bringing them to a fate worse then death) 

But yeah, besides the Big C, Narly is easily Lovecrat's most iconic character, and he's the one people seem to take so much inspiration from.

You gonna have to show me that because I never saw him outright state it wasn’t Nyar.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

You gonna have to show me that because I never saw him outright state it wasn’t Nyar.

Let me dig it up, I might be wrong. If I recall he goes by that alias, but it's later revealed he's a semi-deity with a human origin (was a boy who learned magical powers) and dies like a fucking idiot (which Lovecraft Narly would never happen.) in the Dark Tower series right?

Besides when you say a character that can be different people in different universes heavily influenced your own... there’s really no point in saying theyre 100 percent factually not the same unless people start calling you unoriginal.

Im not saying they’re the same anyway, only that you could say that within the universe of Cthulhu. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Let me dig it up, I might be wrong. If I recall he goes by that alias, but it's later revealed he's a semi-deity with a human origin (was a boy who learned magical powers) and dies like a fucking idiot (which Lovecraft Narly would never happen.) in the Dark Tower series right?

I don’t recall him dying.

Its not a perfect comparison obviously. But with all the many faces he takes, sorcerers, scientists, pharaohs, the Moon Presence in Bloodborne, a drug dealer, lol...

It doesn’t really need to be.

On the topic of Flagg...eh. I really adored him in The Stand  but as the Dark Tower series progressed (which was taken even further in Eyes of the Dragon) he lost so much of mysticism, and went from this dark shadowy abomination to something much more human, which I didn't like. Meh 

I agree. The Dark Tower series in general kinda sizzles out. Like bad. Really bad. He even tells you basically don’t read the ending.

I don’t recall him dying.

Its not a perfect comparison obviously. But with all the many faces he takes, sorcerers, scientists, pharaohs, the Moon Presence in Bloodborne, a drug dealer, lol...

It doesn’t really need to be.

He's killed by Mordred in a really gruesome way.

Oh fuck man you already spoiled Bloodborne lore for yourself >:( Bad Colonel! 

He's killed by Mordred in a really gruesome way.

Oh fuck man you already spoiled Bloodborne lore for yourself >:( Bad Colonel! 

Oh right, that happened at the very end.

It was lame. Tbh I don’t even think I finished the last book. It was that bad.

And yes I did a bit lol, these games aren’t really the kind of games I worry about spoiling except for how to win the fights. Understanding the lore though helps me care about them more.

Like with Aldrich the Devourer of Gods (gotta say the whole thang lol), the fight before I understood what the fuck he was was ok. 

After that though, 200 percent more thrilling.

32 minutes ago, BTCollins said:

Also, curling is my favorite sport that I only watch during the olympics. It’s so ridiculous and amazing. Like, whose idea was it to push stones on ice and sweep in front of them with brooms? And you knock other stones out of the way? Incredibly weird lol

I’m convinced that curling would be better if the teams got to go at the same time and were allowed to sweep in front of each others’ blocks to mess them up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And yes I did a bit lol, these games aren’t really the kind of games I worry about spoiling except for how to win the fights. Understanding the lore though helps me care about them more.

Like with Aldrich the Devourer of Gods (gotta say the whole thang lol), the fight before I understood what the fuck he was was ok. 

Don't want to spoil for Doc (he's playing through right now,

The Moon presence is basically the anti Nyarly. It's motivation is benevolent, it wants to help humanity. It infact, gave humanity and the hunters a fighting chance by making the Hunter's dream. But since it's a Lovecraftian nightmare, it dosen't understand human ethics (unlike Narly who understand, but just dosen't care) so it's ways of "helping" are questionable at best, disastrous at worst.

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Don't want to spoil for Doc (he's playing through right now,

Hide contents

The Moon presence is basically the anti Nyarly. It's motivation is benevolent, it wants to help humanity. It infact, gave humanity and the hunters a fighting chance by making the Hunter's dream. But since it's a Lovecraftian nightmare, it dosen't understand human ethics (unlike Narly who understand, but just dosen't care) so it's ways of "helping" are questionable at best, disastrous at worst.

Rofl

so it’s like Bender on futurama when he was a god. I was really just talking about the appearance. I love the idea though.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’m convinced that curling would be better if the teams got to go at the same time and were allowed to sweep in front of each others’ blocks to mess them up.

Oh man, there definitely needs to be this version of curling. I guess the only problem might be that it could potentially be easier to mess up a shot than to make one good. But I would love to see the even more furious sweeping this would have, and then the counter sweeping by the team that threw the stone. More sweeping I say!

• Like 1

Having played Bloodborne religiously these last few weeks, I think it’s a little worse to spoil than Dark Souls because of how the Lovecraftian stuff is so much less prevalent early on. It starts out as a fairly mundane monster hunting story, and gradually gets crazier and weirder the deeper you delve. It’s awesome how the deeper shit sneaks up on you and then suddenly starts to overtake the game. It comes as something of a surprise. And imo the game is overall a lot less predictable than Dark Souls 3.

You’ll love Bloodborne, man. You’re an Aldrich fan and this game strikes so many of the same chords. It’s wild. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Seriously Balrog what's this context of More red, is it the Arthurian one?

I forgot because the Dark Tower at this point got so bad, but I think it's the same one...

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Having played Bloodborne religiously these last few weeks, I think it’s a little worse to spoil than Dark Souls because of how the Lovecraftian stuff is so much less prevalent early on. It starts out as a fairly mundane monster hunting story, and gradually gets crazier and weirder the deeper you delve. It’s awesome how the deeper shit sneaks up on you and then suddenly starts to overtake the game. It comes as something of a surprise. And imo the game is overall a lot less predictable than Dark Souls 3.

You’ll love Bloodborne, man. You’re an Aldrich fan and this game strikes so many of the same chords. It’s wild. 

Aldritch is basically a love letter to Bloodborne, as our the Abyss Watchers (Who are references to the Hunters) Colonel's going to adore it, I think.

I utterly agree, but the way it's handled is the best part. It makes you feel like your gradually learning about something you really shoudln't, and the more you learn, the more your perspective on reality and everything around starts twist. There's even a sanity mechanic!

• Like 1